The Mummy’s Curse and Mold
“Death shall come on swift wings to him who disturbs the peace of the king.”
(The curse engraved on the exterior of King Tutankhamen’s tomb)
We have all heard about this curse. Mummification was a means of preserving the bodies of wealthy and prominent Egyptians in order to fulfill their quest to eternity. In 1922, a team of British archeologists in Egypt found the boy-king Tutankhamen’s tomb. By 1929, the eleven people associated with the tomb died of early and “unnatural” causes and this is how the myth of the “Mummy’s Curse” evolved.
However, it appears that the team that discovered the tomb all died from ancient mold spores.
In 1999, a German microbiologist, Gotthard Kramer identified several species of mold spores in tombs. Spores have a hardened outside shell which allows them to survive for a long period of time, even under harsh conditions (high or low temperature and without water). Mold spores can survive in almost any climate, even a dark dry tomb. He hypothesized “that when the tomb was first opened, the fresh air could have caused the spores to be blown into the air and infect the archaeologists through their nose, mouth, or eyes.”
The mold spores were identified as Aspergillus species which produces mycotoxins. These toxic fungi can cause rashes, fever, and fatigue. Untreated, this mold can cause death.
Interestingly, in 1973, the tomb of King Casimir IV of Poland was discovered by archaeologists. Of the twelve scientists that entered the tomb, four died within a few days and six more died within six months. It is speculated that the deaths were caused by exposure to toxins from Aspergillus.
Today, and based on the lessons from history, archaeologists wear masks, gloves, and respirators to protect themselves from similar “curses” when handling ancient burial ruins.
The lesson to be learned is two-fold.
First and foremost, mold spores, dead or alive, can cause health issues.
Second, if you find mold in your home, it is recommended that you do not disturb the mold until you know exactly what type of mold it is–you do not want to inadvertently release mold spores in the air.
If you suspect any mold issues, please call for a professional assessment.
The following two tabs change content below.
I have held various positions with the company, starting primarily with business development and marketing. Today, I still manage the marketing responsibilities, but have also assumed the position as CFO overseeing the financial management as well. Though the company is based in Saskatoon, SK, Canada, I work out of my home in Kingston, ON, Canada and commute often to Saskatoon to meet with other members of the Management Team.
Latest posts by Sanjay Gupta (see all)
- Asbestos in the News: Issue 124 - September 22, 2014
- Interview With a Toxic Mold Survivor: Karen Dean - September 19, 2014
- Mold in the News: Issue 163 - September 18, 2014
- Asbestos in the News: Issue 123 - September 15, 2014
- PDAP Mould Remediation Guidelines For Private Claimants and First Nations Residents - September 12, 2014