Asbestos in the News: Issue 21

Asbestos in the News: Issue 21
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of asbestos related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of asbestos and asbestos related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet asbestos news frequently.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
TOP 10 FACTS ABOUT ASBESTOS IN BRAZIL
Asbestos may raise risk of non-lung cancers: hildren exposed to blue asbestos may face more wide-ranging health problems in adulthood than mesothelioma and lung cancer, according to an Australian study. Researchers from Western Australia analysed health data from children who lived at Wittenoom, a now-abandoned WA town where blue asbestos was mined for nearly 20 years. The results, reported in the journal American Journal of Industrial Medicine , indicate exposure to blue asbestos in early childhood elevated the risk of a range of cancers and even heart disease in adulthood.
Are nanofibers a health risk?: New research has suggested that nanofibers may prove as high a health risk as asbestos. Asbestos is known to cause a number of health issues. Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause fibrosis of the lungs, swelling, weight loss, warts and a persistent cough — and the use of asbestos now faces regulation in the West. In a new study published by Toxicology Sciences, researchers have suggested that inhaling tiny fibers created by the nanotechnology industry — airborne just as asbestos is carried — may cause similar problems.
ASBESTOS in SCHOOLS (1)
Asbestos clean up delays school opening: Students at John F. Kennedy High School in Montreal’s Saint Michel borough will have to wait until next year before returning to their normal classrooms. The school was shut down in the spring after asbestos was found. The school is now set to reopen on Jan. 7. All of the students were transferred to nearby Rosemount High. The English Montreal School Board said the clean up that was supposed to take place this summer is taking longer than expected and that the school will only be ready to reopen in January.
ASBESTOS and HEALTH (2)
Carpenter saw workers fling asbestos ‘snowballs’ in deadly game: A CARPENTER who dedicated 50 years to his work has died after being exposed to deadly asbestos dust. Brian Anguish died at the age of 67, just two years after his retirement from a career which began in 1960. An inquest into his death heard how he saw his colleagues making “snowballs” from asbestos and throwing them at each other while unaware of the life-threatening risks of the substance. During the hearing at Burton Town Hall, South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh ruled the death to be work-related.
Compensation given to nurse over asbestos: An assistant nurse who worked at an obstetrics and gynecology clinic has been recognized by the state as eligible for worker compensation after she suffered mesothelioma due to asbestos in talc powder used for surgical rubber gloves, it was learned Monday. This is the first case of worker compensation being given at a medical institution in connection with talc.
ASBESTOS in PUBLIC BUILDINGS (2)
Houses Of Parliament Could Be Closed For Five Years In Refurbishment Plans: Parliament could be relocated for up to five years whilst essential repairs are made, according to commons officials. Whilst Westminster’s rotten plumbing, asbestos panels and creaking electrics are overhauled, MPs would either be housed in temporary chamber or a conference centre half a mile away, reported the Sunday Times. The temporary evacuation is one of the options being suggested in an ongoing report into the renovation of Westminister by the House of Commons Commission, chaired by Speaker John Bercow.
Asbestos scare at Royal Adelaide Hospital: A CONTRACTOR has fallen through a ceiling at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, disturbing asbestos and forcing a patient to be relocated. The incident occurred in a pantry room adjoining the orthopaedics ward but has not resulted in any major disruption. The room was sealed off while the disturbed asbestos is removed. The contractor was taken to the emergency department for an assessment for injuries. “Due to the presence of asbestos in the ceiling area hospital staff immediately introduced the standard asbestos control procedures including sealing the room and restricting access to the area,” a hospital spokesman said.
LEGAL ISSUES and ASBESTOS (2)
LHA renovations violated lead-paint, asbestos regs: During the course of its rehab of 132 units at the North Common Village, the Lowell Housing Authority violated multiple regulations governing lead-paint safety and failed to determine if asbestos was present prior to the work beginning as required by law, according to the state’s Department of Labor Standards. The lead-paint and asbestos regulations on renovation and demolition are designed to protect workers, as well as occupants of the buildings where the work is conducted.
California Asbestos Victim Wins Important Federal Court Ruling: A California man who contracted the lung disease mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos at work has won an important ruling that prevents Lorillard Tobacco Company (NYSE: LO) from further delaying a civil damages trial by attempting to get the case transferred to federal court. Doctors for Dimitris O. Couscouris have told him that he may have only months to live, but the Simi Valley resident and his wife have continued to pursue their claims against Lorillard and other defendants as part of a lawsuit originally filed in December of last year. The lawsuit alleges the companies exposed Mr. Couscouris to asbestos, which led to his developing mesothelioma.
MISC. (2)
IDF fails to deal with asbestos hazards: The Environmental Protection Ministry warned recently that IDF soldiers are required to deal with asbestos without the appropriate protective gear. Asbestos is an extremely hazardous material. Its carcinogenic properties have resulted in a ban on its use in many nations worldwide, including Israel. Since it poses actual danger, there are strict protocols on the handling, moving and disposing of asbestos – all of which require handlers to wear hazmat suits.
Workers exposed to dangerous asbestos: WORKERS were exposed to potentially deadly asbestos fibres at a mill in Halliwell after two companies failed to protect their health and safety. The companies, Hazelwise, who owned the mill, and letting agent RH Property Management, have been fined after pleading guilty to failing to ensure the health and safety of people at the mill. Manchester Crown Court heard on Friday that they had failed to put a plan in place to manage the asbestos in Brownlow Mill, in Tennyson Street, where several small businesses rent units.

Posted in Asbestos, Asbestos and Health, Asbestos in Public Buildings, Asbestos in Schools, Asbestos in the News, Legal Issues and Asbestos

About got mold?™

got mold?™ is a locally owned and operated Canadian company with over 25 years of combined experience in the disaster restoration industry. A Message from the President Mold is a growing concern. To continue to thrive as a business over the next ten years and beyond, we must look far ahead, understand the ever changing world and power in order to structure our business in the future and maneuver in such a way that will allow us to anticipate challenges we face throughout our journey, enabling us to continue operating as a world class company employing great people for continued success. Our Mission Find & fix sources of unhealthy indoor air Our Vision Healthy indoor air Our Core Values Dependable - We make commitments and meet them Resourceful - We find a way or make one Knowledgeable - We are certified and constantly learning Productive - We get it done right ASAP Trustworthy - We have a great reputation Loyal - We are proud of our company and its values Ethical - We don’t compromise our values and we don’t cut corners Respectful - We care about people, property and good stewardship of money All this while maintaining the utmost in health & safety standards. Indoor air quality specialists, we are experts in mold testing, removal and remediation; fire and flood damage restoration; indoor air quality testing; asbestos surveying, asbestos testing, sampling and abatement.