Mold Causes Asthma!
Last year, we posted an article with the question, “Does Mold Cause Asthma?“
The question was partially answered by a research team in Finland who conducted a study in 2001. They surveyed 10,000 students on the dampness of their homes and questioned how often they developed colds and other respiratory infections. The research concluded that damp homes may cause asthma and was partly conclusive.
Up until now, mold was considered an asthma trigger that could exacerbate the condition and even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) believes there is some link between the onset of asthma and damp buildings.
Basically, all previous studies have found QUALITATIVE or ANECDOTAL associations between mold and asthma, but no clear, definitive cause and effect, i.e. MOLD CAUSES ASTHMA!
Last month, a research team from the University of Cincinnati in the United States published a study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology that showed a definite QUANTITATIVE link between mold and asthma.
Tiina Reponen, co-author of the study, said while it is known that mold is a risk factor for asthma, this is the first study that quantitatively measured mold and after adjusting for commonly known risk factors, found an association with asthma. Previously, other studies had shown qualitative or anecdotal associations, she said.
The study evaluated about 300 children between the ages of one and seven. The researchers found that there are three species of mold which are particluarly harmful to children: Aspergillus ochraceus, Aspergillus unguis and Penicillium variabile. These molds, common to water-damaged homes, cause children to develop asthma. Based on this study, an allergist at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Monica Vasudev, believes that expectant mothers and infants should try to avoid living in water-damaged homes.
“It’s proof of common sense that you want to take care of mold in the home. It’s just proving that if you don’t do that, your kids are more likely to develop asthma.” (Gary Steven, an allergist at the Allergy, Asthma & Sinus Center in Milwaukee)
Well stated Mr. Steven!
— Got #Mold? (@gotmoldglobal) August 9, 2012