Mold in the News: Issue 47

Mold in the News: Issue 47
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 7 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
Don’t delay tackling mold problems: Mold is a fact of life. It is all around us daily in the form of spores. But when conditions are right, when a home gets too humid for too long, mold can start to grow. When it does, removal is the only answer. “There are mold spores everywhere,” says Jim Echols, senior analyst at Springfield Indoor Air Quality, who has helped homeowners identify mold problems for 15 years. “… Most of the time, those mold spores don’t grow inside the home. They just come in with airflow patterns, they come in on your clothes, your hair, the bottom of your shoes … and they just stay there and don’t do anything.”
Mould is making sons ill, says Wyke mother: Mother Sinead Akhtar says mould growing in her damp flat is giving her young sons constant coughs and making them ill. Mrs Akhtar, whose home in Shirley Manor Gardens is owned by Accent Housing, said she had been trying to get the problem solved for the past six months. She said that, despite numerous phone calls to Accent’s offices in Baildon and speaking to advisers, no one had offered any help at all – until she got in touch with the Telegraph & Argus.
College dorm inspected for mold: Texas A&M Texarkana students have been temporarily moved out of their dorm after mold was discovered during a routine inspection. University officials say HEC Environmental Group discovered a gray substance on the carpet in a few of the rooms at the Bringle Lake Village.
Old High School can be cleaned of mold: There was much applause at the Washington County School Board meeting Tuesday at Roulhac Middle School when it was reported that mold levels in Spanish Trail Playhouse were acceptable. Paul Zak, director of GLE’s Graceville office, told the school board that mold levels in the auditorium were minimal and said the inspection report’s findings for the whole building were that the site could be cleared of mold with some professional cleaning.
OPP mould removal to cost $11,000: Mould found inside the Orillia OPP detachment should be removed within two weeks, says the city’s property manager. “We’ve done the tender process. We have contractors in place. They’re just going through the OPP security process right now,” Ted Hill said Monday. In May, an employee in the Peter Street South detachment noticed black particles falling from the duct work and landing on her desk.
Black mold causes Kennett office to relocate: Employees who work in county offices on Main Street in Kennett must relocate due to black mold. The building houses the public defenders office and juvenile offices. Employees got concerned in June because of some leaks. Test results came back positive in early July. Commissioner Don Collins says they felt moving was the only decision since black mold can cause health concerns and can cost a lot of money to remove.
Juneau Labor building to undergo more renovation, mold remediation: A contractor will soon begin staging equipment at the Department of Labor building in Juneau for yet another renovation, mold remediation project. The state, which rents the space from a private company, will partially foot the bill for the work.