Mold in the News: Issue 48
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 8 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Infants exposed to specific molds have higher asthma risk: In the United States, one in 10 children suffers from asthma but the potential environmental factors contributing to the disease are not well known. Cincinnati-based researchers now report new evidence that exposure to three types of mold during infancy may have a direct link to asthma development during childhood. These forms of mold—Aspergillus ochraceus, Aspergillus unguis and Penicillium variabile—are typically found growing in water-damaged homes, putting a spotlight on the importance of mold remediation for public health.
5 sure-fire ways to get termites and mold: Many homeowners consider themselves inviting to guests. We invite friends, in-laws, neighbors, kids, cats and even iguanas into our home — and each guest adds their own flavor as a visitor. As homeowners, however, we usually don’t know how many guests we have. Most of our home’s guests are uninvited. The uninvited can include termites, birds, mold spores, mice and yes, even the occasional raccoon. Visits from the mother-in-law can be exasperating, but the havoc from her visit pales in comparison to that caused by mold, pests and termites; at least your mother-in-law puts the toilet seat down when she is done.
Airdrie renter frustrated by presence of mould: An Airdrie resident is desperately trying to get out of her rental property after discovering mould and mushroom-like growths in the basement. Single-mother Lenore Fox and her three daughters moved into the rental home, located in Meadowbrook, last November. In March and April, daughter Robyn, then 14, started complaining about headaches and vomiting. “I was throwing up, I couldn’t eat or drink,” said Robyn. “I just felt out of breath a lot and got lots of headaches.” The symptoms mystified doctors. After missing three weeks of school, Robyn began sleeping upstairs in her mom’s bedroom. Shortly after moving upstairs, the then Grade 9 student began feeling better and wanted to move back to her basement bedroom. While Fox was preparing Robyn’s bed in June, she pulled it out from the wall and discovered a mess. “At closer inspection, (I saw) it was mould from one end to the other and there were clear round mushrooms growing out of the carpet,” said Fox. “I was absolutely mortified.”
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Allergies Becoming a Problem with Highest Mold Counts in 17 Years: Hot weather and humidity have created a breeding ground for mold spores. Wisconsin mold counts are at their highest levels in at least 17 years. With the mix of rain and hot humid weather, the right conditions are bringing out allergens. Allergy sufferers are feeling the impact and it seems to be worse than normal. No need to wait, try and see a doctor immediately.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
School District 303 investigating mold at Norris Recreation Center: The discovery of mold in a racquetball court at the Norris Recreational Center has prompted St. Charles School District 303 to call upon its mold expert and architectural firm to investigate the extent of the growth. The end goal will be the same regardless of the severity, Superintendent Don Schlomann told reporters Thursday afternoon. “We’re going to clean it up,” he said. District 303 is especially sensitive to mold after testing in 2001 showed St. Charles East High School had a toxic mold problem. The mold was believed to be responsible for causing respiratory infections, asthma attacks, migraine headaches, tiredness and dizziness among other symptoms in students and employees. The district spent more than $29 million to remove the mold, and the school was closed for 18 months.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (2)
Residents evacuated after mold found in apartments: Twelve families were displaced Wednesday after city inspectors found mold at Mesquite Woods apartments, officials said. The city of Hitchcock condemned 24 apartments in three buildings at 5809 Delany Road and reached an agreement with the owner to obtain a mold inspection before renting other units, said Hitchcock police Chief Clay Kennelly and Tom Everett, the city’s code-enforcement officer. “I’ve been doing this a long time, 40-something odd years, and I have never seen anything in my career this bad,” Kennelly said.
Mold concern forces City of West Palm Beach employees out of city-owned building: Months after a City of West Palm Beach employee raised concerns about the air quality of a city-owned building, NewsChannel 5 has learned more has not been done been to address what City Commission documents have called “a potential health hazard.” According to Elliot Cohen, a City of West Palm Beach spokesperson, the city relocated ten employees from its Water and Sewer O&M Division, its Pumping Operations Division and the Distribution and Collection divisions in the 1000 block of Charleston Avenue after mold was discovered in an office earlier this year. Seventy field employees still use an adjacent loading dock as a base of operations and have access to the office, Cohen said. “When you live in Florida, you know, buildings get mold,” he said. “It’s just a question of making sure you get the people out of the building when you discover it and that’s pretty much what we did.”
— Got #Mold? (@gotmoldglobal) August 3, 2012