Mold in the News: Issue 52
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 11 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORY (2)
Top industry experts back a dying woman’s campaign to raise awareness about dangers of mould: A DYING woman has convinced leading industry experts to support her campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of mould. Deidre Lodge, 57, of Stifford Road, in South Ockendon, has secured the backing of the Institute of Specialist Surveyors and Engineers (ISSE). The former nurse, now terminally ill with the lung condition Aspergillus caused by mould spores, said she was delighted with the ISSE’s support. She said: “I am really pleased the institute is supporting my campaign, which was sparked after I was diagnosed with Aspergillus in 2006. “I hope we can work together to make more homeowners, landlords and tenants aware that a lack of ventilation can causes damp, which in turn leads to mould and can, as I have found out, destroy health.”
Black mold hospitalizes Jasper baby: A Jasper child is hospitalized after toxic black mold was found inside her family’s family’s home. Jeanette and Joshua Buzbee want to warn others about the dangers of mold and it’s impact on your health, specifically small children. Toxic black mold can cause problems such as mental impairment, breathing difficulty, damage to internal organs and sometimes even death. Experts say mold removal should not be taken lightly. The family claims their black mold problem went ignored by their landlord and endangered the life of their baby. One year old Jacey finally is on the road to recovery. Her parents uncovered toxic black mold under her nursery carpet. She says her landlord’s answer was if it’s a problem … move out.
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Manatee condo owners direct ire at KB: “I have black mold that sent me to the hospital with respiratory problems multiple times,” Miller said. “I can’t live there, and KB refuses to fix it.”
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (5)
Meetings Set for Monday to Discuss Middle School Mold: School administrators will address the mold found last week at the township’s middle school with parents and staff on Monday, Superintendent David Trethaway said.
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth works to assess mold damage: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth has hired an outside firm to test for any health risks from the flooding that closed Claire T. Carney Library earlier this week. University officials issued an update Friday afternoon about that and other efforts to clean and reopen the library. “Our greatest concern was about possible mold,” according to the statement by Deb McLaughlin, the university’s chief operating officer and vice chancellor for administration and finance.
Mold found at RRISD elementary school: Ten days before the doors re-open at Purple Sage Elementary School, Round Rock Independent School District officials are working on removing mold found in several classrooms. The problem was discovered last week by campus staff who noticed there was an odor from some of the classrooms. Upon investigation, district staff discovered what appeared to be mold residue under the carpet. Specialists were hired to take samples of the substance and to test the air quality.
Mold forces closure of school in Manchester: Unhealthy levels of mold discovered during a routine summer cleaning of Manchester Township Middle School have forced district officials to close the building indefinitely. Middle school students and staff will begin the 2012-13 school year at the high school, which houses 1,158 students, on a split-session schedule, officials said. “We looked at a variety of different options and found that this would work the best,’’ Superintendent David Trethaway told approximately 200 parents gathered Monday morning at the high school for a meeting about the mold problem. “Our first concern is the safety of our students and staff. Next is the education of our students.’’
Crews fixing mold problem at Round Rock ISD school: Abatement crews are working overtime to remove mold from multiple classrooms at Purple Sage Elementary. Teachers first noticed an odor a week and a half ago. By Thursday, lab tests confirmed a potentially dangerous problem — three types of toxic mold. The test founds aspergillus, stachybotrys, and wallemia sebi. They are all toxic molds that could be harmful to people with weakened immune systems. Round Rock Independent School District hired Bruan and Butler to remove the mold; the company also hired ARC Abatement to help. The district is paying $300,000 to remove the mold and replace carpet in the 31-year-old school building with tile.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (3)
Mold confirmed at Veterans Home; cleanup scheduled: Air samples taken inside the Vermont Veterans Home have indicated the presence of mold in heating and cooling units and on some medical records in storage, according to Administrator Melissa Jackson. “Musty” smell. The testing took place earlier this week after a “musty” smell returned to a common room on the home’s dementia wing following a thorough cleaning, Jackson said. The room was then closed off to residents and staff until air samples could be collected and tested by Morrisville-based Crother’s Environmental Group.
Local grocery store creates health concern with mold problem: How safe is a grocery store if it’s covered in mold and mildew? Several viewers contacted us with concerns about mold at a Grocery Outlet in Pensacola. Viewers sent us photos through Facebook and Twitter with concerns about mold throughout the store. The pictures show mold on the ceiling tiles and on the wall that concerned shoppers when they walked in to the Grocery Outlet on Fairfield Drive and Lillian Parkway. “It’s all over the store. I mean, coming down the walls. “I saw mold everywhere. In the ceiling.” One woman agreed to tell us what she saw, if we didn’t identify her. “I won’t go back in there. It’s mold. How can that be safe?” “I don’t understand how health wise, they can stay open.”
Mold victims question tenant rights: More than five hundred thousand alabama households live in rental housing. The Alabama Landlord Tenant Law enacted in 2007 ensures every rental house and apartment is a decent place to live. Attorney Bob Bryan says the law does require all tenants have a livable dwelling but that requires good communications.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) August 22, 2012