Mold in the News: Issue 58

Mold in the News: Issue 58
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 13 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORY (1)
Mold problems can affect health and home: Ten years ago, Julie Lindemann ended up in the emergency room unable to breathe and covered in hives. It wasn’t her first brush with poor health. Lindemann’s allergies were controlling her life. Asthma, chronic sinus infections, sore throats, earaches, migraines, bronchitis and pneumonia dogged the Sioux Falls woman. Lindemann’s mold allergy was particularly acute. Her immune system was in overdrive.
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Toxic mold levels lead to Chicago air quality alert: Allergy sufferers beware. There’s something in the air — mold. And dangerous amounts of it, according to Dr. Joseph Leija, allergist, at Gottlieb Memorial Hospital. Dr. Leija takes the allergy count for the Midwest every morning. Thursday’s mold count was at 60,000, which is above the threshold of toxic levels for those with mold allergies.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (7)
Midland Academy’s mold report released; allergist weighs in: Many parents have been concerned about mold at Midland Academy and they are worried about their children being exposed to high levels of it. One of those parents is Pamela Lee, who has a child whose classroom is in the 500 wing – the wing that contains the highest levels of mold. “This is her first year. She’s in Pre-K [and] she came from a daycare setting. I’m already super nervous mom because she’s in Pre-K, and then for this to happen of course I freaked out,” said Pamela Lee. After reviewing the mold report from Midland Academy, Dr. Cartwright explains that even though the mold seems bad, he believes that the children should be alright.
NJ Parents Struggling with Mold Crisis: Mold is extending summer vacation for students in several school districts in South Jersey but parents say it’s no picnic. Northfield Community School in Atlantic County isn’t expected to open until at least Sept. 19. Mold was found inside the school and the remediation process started on Sunday. Barbara Anderson’s grandchildren attend the school. She told NBC10 she was able to care for the three children on Tuesday but won’t be able to do it the next day, so their parents will have to hire a babysitter. “They can’t afford one, it’s just really bad,” said Anderson.
School mold air samples due next week: Great Bridge school officials say results of an environmental group’s mold air sample test will be available next week. WAVY.com spoke with the grandmother of 6-year-old Landon Miller who was hospitalized for three days after wheezing and feeling groggy after spending a day at Great Bridge. Landon’s doctor had written a letter to the school’s principal, requesting the boy be placed in another classroom and that the problems he was experiencing may be mold-induced from A/C window units in his classroom. Landon’s grandmother, Ronna Thomas, said she is livid with Great Bridge Primary School Principal Heather Martin for refusing to fulfill Landon’s doctor recommendation to put him in a different classroom that has no history of mold. “We even called the school board and which said there is nothing they can do because it’s [Martin’s] school. Her school? We pay her paycheck. How is it her school?” Thomas said.
Hamilton high school cleans mold problem: Steinert High School officials on Monday discovered mold on ceiling tiles in the school’s science wing, which has been closed off for cleaning. Superintendent James Parla said classes had been relocated and a contractor, Karl Environmental, was brought in to clean the wing. “We’re not talking about weeks here, we are talking about days,” he said. Once the contractor finishes cleaning, the wing will be tested again before people are allowed in, Parla said. Principal Kelly Mattis sent home a letter to parents, which was posted on the school’s website, that detailed the district response and the work by the contractor.
Mold at Nelson’s Hume School to be remediated: Areas of Nelson’s Hume Elementary school continue to be isolated and sealed off following the discovery of mold at the school. According to a press release from superintendent of School District 8 Jeff Jones staff voiced concerns about the air quality at the school. “Since being made aware of the concerns expressed by the staff, the District completed an exhaustive investigation of the building and surrounding area,” said Jones in the release. “The investigation included conversations and participation of district staff, WorkSafe BC, as well as Interior Health.” During the summer the district hired an environmental company to complete air quality inspections and checks. “As a result of their inspection(s) water damage was discovered in the crawlspace below the lunch room,” said Jones. “Water damage can include the possibility of mold. In this case, a moderate amount of mold growth was located.”
Mold suspected at Scranton’s Prescott Elementary: Air quality at William Prescott Elementary School will be tested after maintenance crews found what appears to be mold in the cafeteria. Students were not permitted to enter the cafeteria on Friday, and will continue to eat lunches in their classrooms until the issue is resolved, according to Superintendent William King. Maintenance crews found a 6-inch spot of mold on a cafeteria wall on Thursday evening, two days after workers replaced water-stained ceiling tiles. The removal of the ceiling tiles, which had been recommended in a March air quality report, caused several parents to raise concerns about the possibility of mold in the school. The tile replacement had been on the maintenance staff’s to-do list since the report, but workers just got to the job after a busy summer, Mr. King said earlier this week.
Toquam closes two classrooms due to mold: Two Toquam Magnet Elementary School classrooms, one fourth-grade and one first-grade, were closed to students this week as initial concerns of moisture escalated to a confirmation of mold in both. When teachers began returning to the building in late August to set up classrooms, several noticed “extreme moisture in the air,” as well as a musty smell, according to Al Barbarotta, the contractor in charge of school district facilities.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (3)
Family forced out of Sharjah home after fungus invasion: A potentially dangerous form of fungus has forced an Egyptian family out of their home in Sharjah. Dr Nasser, 42, has been living in a Dh400-per-night hotel with his wife and three daughters since September 4, the day he returned from holiday to discover the havoc wreaked by the mould in his two-bedroom Al Majaz apartment. “Everything is destroyed. My 40-inch LCD TV, my expensive sofa, our bedroom sets, washing machine and all our clothes. I am still counting my losses,” said Dr Nasser.
Mold prompts temporary closure of Point of Honor Carriage House: The Point of Honor Carriage House is temporarily closing due to discovery of mold, Lynchburg officials announced Friday. The main Point of Honor house will remain open and available for tours. The Carriage House contains the attraction’s ticket counter, gift shop and restrooms. Officials said the Carriage House had a leak in its cooling system recently, and mold was found in the building last Tuesday.
Orlando complex dealing with serious mold problems again: An Orlando apartment complex is dealing with serious mold problems again. WFTV first highlighted the issues at the Catalina Isles Condominiums along LB McLeod Road, near John Young Parkway, about two years ago. Channel 9’s Ryan Hughes found out the mold is back and residents said the city isn’t doing anything to help.
MISC. (1)
Mold Poses Latest Threat to U.S. Corn Crop: The mold, which thrived in the hot, dry weather that withered corn plants, can lead to the presence of aflatoxin, a carcinogen that is toxic to animals and humans at high levels. Grain elevators and processors are vigorously testing for aflatoxin this summer. The issue is creating another headache for farmers grappling with the nation’s worst drought in decades. In some cases, grain elevators and processors such as Archer Daniels Midland Co. (ADM) are rejecting farmers’ corn shipments.