Mold in the News: Issue 79

Mold in the News: Issue 79
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 7 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (1)
Public Advocate Wants To Battle Post-Hurricane Mold With Federal Funds: Public Advocate Bill de Blasio wants city and federal officials to address what he calls a growing mold emergency in homes damaged by Hurricane Sandy. De Blasio is pushing a four-point plan which includes giving federal funds to homeowners dealing with the problem. Federal Emergency Management Agency does not currently reimburse homeowners for mold remediation. De Blasio also accused the city’s Rapid Repairs program of not working hard enough to fight mold.
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Tips on mould prevention and removal: With the wet weather we experience, many homeowners may notice an increase of mould (or mildew) in their homes. Mould thrives in warm, damp environments and the recent weather definitely encourages growth of fungus if the conditions are right.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
Cleanup, concerns continue over Montevallo Elementary mold, asbestos issues: In a sobbing plea that often caused her to pause, Montevallo Elementary parent-teacher organization president Michele Gallagher last week asked Shelby County Board of Education trustees to enact proper measures to eliminate mold and asbestos from the facility. “Montevallo Elementary School is unsafe and unfit for the students who are assigned to go there and the teachers who work there,” Gallagher told the school board members during the group’s regular monthly meeting on Thursday night.
Mould spores in school: A Grade 4 classroom at Berens River School will undergo further testing after a report revealed the number of airborne mould spores is twice as high as the recommended guideline. Berens River band council ordered the community’s kindergarten-to-Grade 9 school closed earlier this month after a worker discovered 25 bags of asbestos in the school’s crawl space, located under the Grade 4 classroom. Community leaders felt it was unsafe for the school’s 350 students and 100 staff to go into the building until an independent investigation determines there is no health danger.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (1)
Brazos River Authority mold cleanup could cost $7.2M: The mold-infested Brazos River Authority headquarters faces several more months of renovations that could total $7.2 million, exceeding the building’s original construction cost by $1.7 million. The authority’s 89 employees, who were relocated from the Cobbs Drive facility in early October, are back at the building after remediation work has brought airborne mold down to safe levels. Some interior doors, windows, drywall and ceiling tiles were replaced and fabrics were deep-cleaned. A temporary ventilation system has been installed to dehumidify and filter the air.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Quail Creek homeowners sue over mold, dry rot: Nine homeowners in Quail Creek have filed court cases against the developer, Robson Communities, arguing that mold and dry rot on wood under their roofs resulted from a construction defect. Robson has made an offer to settle out of court but insists it did nothing wrong and that the mold is a result of gutters or mister systems that were improperly installed by the homeowners after the homes were built.
MISC. (1)
Walmart Sold Us A High Chair Covered With Food And Mold As New: Part of the delight of Christmas morning is opening up fresh, shiny, untouched gifts. Our new stuff gets wrapped in colorful paper outside of the boxes and layers of protective plastic by the Asian teenagers who made them for us. Jan’s great-grandson is still a baby, so he probably didn’t care one way or the other about the condition of his gifts, but the grown-up family members did. The high chair they bought him had been used. Used a lot. And it was covered with food and mold. It should be their baby who has the privilege of throwing spaghetti on his high chair, not someone else’s.