Mold in the News: Issue 83

Mold in the News: Issue 83
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
NY Sen. Charles Schumer pitches mold relief in Sandy aid bill: New York Sen. Charles Schumer says the second part of the Sandy relief aid package includes as much as $1 billion to help homeowners deal with mold remediation. Schumer estimates as many as 300,000 homes in New York alone suffered flood damage in the October storm. Many of those homes are now inundated with dangerous mold.
What to do when mold takes hold; Norwalk Dept. of Health sees spike in mold complaints after Hurricane Sandy: From a beginning as innocuous as shower steam collecting behind wallpaper to something as overt as several feet of post-Sandy flooding, untreated the results of the two can be the same — unhealthy and difficult-to-remove mold. Carrying with it an unpleasant, musty odor, for individuals with asthma or compromised immune systems, mold has the potential for serious health issues. “Molds have the potential to cause health problems, produce allergens, irritants and in some case potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins) allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold,” according to the Environmental Protection Agency website.
CARLUCCI WARNS OF BLACK MOLD IN HURRICANE-DAMAGED HOMES: Hurricane Sandy victims who sustained damage from the storm are finding out that rebuilding their homes will be a challenge, says NYS Senator David Carlucci, with many Rockland County residents now discovering the growth of toxic black mold from the lingering effects of water damage. If left untreated, this can pose a serious health hazard that can result in prolonged sickness. Mold is also difficult to locate and can grow in areas in the household that can be difficult to locate without professional mold remediation services conducting their own inspections.
MOLD and HEALTH (2)
Local Scientists Create New Test for Mold in Tainted Steroids: A new test developed by local scientists could help doctors rapidly pinpoint the mold in tainted steroids that killed 34 people and sickened more than 600. Thousands more received the injections, without becoming sick — but the illness can take months to develop. Microbiologists at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, in Newark, and Weill Cornell Medical Center, in Manhattan, have isolated the mold’s DNA and the series of chemicals which mainstream medical labs can use to quickly identify whether people actually have the mold in their spinal fluid.
Mold growing in flooded basements or other damp spots can cause allergic reactions: For anyone who has dealt with a flooded basement — a not infrequent occurrence in the Washington area, even before Hurricane Sandy — pumping the water out is just the beginning. The lingering problem can have serious health repercussions: mold. “Even with one inch of water, there’s enough humidity inside that mold spores can attach to surfaces and begin to grow. Drywall, carpeting, almost anything indoors can have mold growing on it,” says Cristina Schulingkamp, director of the indoor air quality program at the Environmental Protection Agency’s Philadelphia office. That office has been dealing with the aftereffects of Sandy, which caused billions of dollars in damage along the East Coast in October.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
Tuloso-Midway ISD trustees view mold remediation project at high school: Tuloso-Midway ISD trustees and district officials got a glimpse Thursday night of the work completed on eight high school classrooms to rid them of mold as part of a 2011 bond program. The mold remediation, which cost about $1.2 million, is part of a $36 million bond voters approved in November 2011. Trustees toured three of the eight affected classrooms at Tuloso-Midway High School as part of a special board meeting Thursday.
Mould removed from B.C. school lunch room: Black mould growing in an elementary school lunch room in Nelson, B.C., has finally been removed, officials say. Some parents had complained their kids were having asthma attacks because of the mould growing beneath the school’s lunch room floor. The lunch room at Hume Elementary is still fenced off and remains off limits to staff and students, but school board superintendent Jeff Jones said contractors got the last of the mould out over the Christmas break.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (4)
Mold shuts down Indian Head sheriff’s station: The Charles County Sheriff’s Office has temporarily shut down its District II station in Indian Head due to increased levels of mold and allergens inside the building. Officers assigned to the station have continued working their beats. They have access to the department’s mobile command center, which has been set up in the station’s parking lot, and many have been working out of the District I station in La Plata, spokeswoman Diane Richardson said.
New Plymouth Woman’s State House Mould Complaint: A New Plymouth woman is fed up with living in a damp state house and says Housing New Zealand has done nothing to help. Rebecca Evans said she and her 6-year-old daughter had put up with the dampness and black mould for the three years they had lived at the house on Pembroke St, Westown. “There’s mould coming through from behind the wallpaper,” Ms Evans said.
Rot and mould plague Morinville arena: Rot and mould has struck the roof of Morinville’s hockey rink, and that has the town’s mayor spooked that it could collapse. Town council voted unanimously Tuesday in favour of spending $21,000 to study the structural integrity of the support columns in the roof of the Morinville Arena and to assess mould found in the building. The motion came out of a report tabled Tuesday that found “extensive rot damage” and some mould around the base of those columns due to water leaks – damage that would reduce the roof’s weight capacity.
Black mold in apartment complex causing major health problems: Tenants of the Baytree Apartment complex have cited black mold as the primary reason for various health conditions. Residents have made claims of throwing up, nose bleeds and upper-respiratory infections since moving into the complex. One woman claims that the black mold is the ultimate reason for the death of her husband. Resident Rose Banning says her husband died September 17, 2012 due to the black mold, which caused a fungal infection. She says he didn’t have an infection when they moved in just 2 months before but soon after he began throwing up blood which led to a heart attack. He never recovered. The cause of death cited on his death certificate was sepsis, pneumonia with aspergillosis and complications of COPD.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

MISC. (1)
Oceanside residents welcome mold cleanup crew: Oceanside resident Christina Salazar received some welcome visitors Thursday. They came in the form of a mold cleanup crew — an AmeriCorps emergency response team of six from Missouri and Washington state, trained to travel the country, working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to help communities get a jump on recovery after disasters. Salazar, 24, lives on Morrow Road with her mother and 6-year-old sister, who has Down syndrome. Their two-story home flooded during Irene in August 2011.