Mold in the News: Issue 88
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 11 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
NYC announces $15 million mold cleanup program: New York City is beginning a $15 million program to clean up at least 2,000 homes that became contaminated with mold after they flooded during Superstorm Sandy. The program, paid for with private donations, comes following months of desperate pleas from storm victims and advocacy groups, who said mold had become a nightmare for many homeowners in flood-ravaged parts of the city.
Tenant sues landlords over mold at rental property: In a recently filed lawsuit, a man blames his landlords for causing the pneumonia he claims he developed due to mold that grew on the premises where he was living. Rick A. Obernuefemann filed a lawsuit Jan. 8 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against the Estate of Robert Krausz and Carol Krausz. In his complaint, Obernuefemann claims he was exposed to a dust created by mold spores in the apartment where he was living. In turn, Obernuefemann developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which occurs after a coating in the lungs becomes inflamed from the inhalation of dust, according to the complaint.
Foundation launches mold program on Staten Island: A charitable foundation says it is launching a mold cleanup program in flood-damaged neighborhoods on Staten Island. The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation says it will be sending trained volunteers into moldy houses to help homeowners who haven’t been able to come up with the money to pay for a professional cleanup, which can be costly. Foundation chairman Frank Siller tells the Staten Island Advance (http://bit.ly/YKJR3o ) that 100 households have already signed up for help.
MOLD and HEALTH (2)
Some Grove tenants suspect mold is cause of health problems: A tenant of The Grove apartment complex who filed a complaint about housing conditions with town officials earlier this month believes that mold could be the cause of some health symptoms he has experienced. The parents of two other tenants have similar suspicions. “I’ve never been so sick in my life,” 21-year-old William Carney said Wednesday, citing bronchial problems, sneezing, coughing and headaches among his symptoms since moving into a ground floor unit at The Grove, an apartment complex designed for college students that opened in September.
Mold, a threat to your home –– and health: Melanie Siegel Rubin’s south Merrick home was, like hundreds of homes across the South Shore, flooded when Hurricane Sandy struck on Oct. 29. Saltwater inundated the front entrance and back laundry room. She did not realize, however, that water had soaked through her plywood subfloor when her crawl space flooded. That allowed mold, a living organism, to spread across the plywood, which would all but destroy her home. “We should have ripped out the whole first floor at the beginning,” said Siegel Rubin, “but we didn’t know we had to. The floor looked dry on the top.” Her contractors, she said, “thought they had dried everything.”
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (1)
Parents’ fury at ‘mold in school’: A number of parents have told The Freeport News about a mold problem in the Lewis Yard Primary School at St. Vincent de Paul Church. It is alleged that teachers and students have suffered sickness, and the school was forced to close for a half day recently. A call to the Ministry of Education confirmed there were mold problems but Deputy Director of Education Sandra Edgecombe said she is satisfied the problem has been dealt with.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (3)
Orono officials looking into new mold complaints from renters at The Grove: Mold problems found last fall in a new apartment complex appear to have returned, according to some tenants. Town officials on Tuesday released documents — including air quality test results — indicating there was a mold problem at The Grove apartment complex shortly after it opened in September. The presence of mold was confirmed in four apartments by air quality tests performed by TP Environmental Consulting of Brewer, according to the documents. The tests were commissioned by The Grove’s parent company, Campus Crest Communities Inc., which is headquartered in Charlotte, N.C.
Mold problems not expected to delay opening of Mobile’s GulfQuest Maritime Museum: Mold problems are not expected to delay construction or increase costs for Mobile’s GulfQuest Maritime Museum.
Mold closes fire station living quarters Republican American: The living quarters at Cheshire Fire Station 3 have have been declared off limits to firefighters after mold was discovered there. Fire Chief Jack Casner said the living quarters have been barred for several months to some 15 to 20 volunteer firefighters who respond from the fire station at 1225 South Main St.
Community Mold Awareness Trainings: Free Trainings will be held throughout the city, see list below for the location nearest you. Understand the need for and when to use personal protective equipment and Recognize hazards (chemical, biological, physical, safety). Understand the proper sequence and safe methods of mucking out a water damaged unit and sanitization methods; demolition; and cleaning a water-damaged unit. How to do a final assessment and properly determine whether a project is complete.
Residents near Ethanol Plant get mold cleaning supplies and tips: Since the Ethanol Plant in South Bend closed, residents in the Rum Village area have been having one problem after another. First, water started seeping into their basements. Now they’re dealing with mold. Wednesday, the St. Joseph County Health Department held a meeting to give residents supplies and tips to clean the mold in their homes.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) February 4, 2013