Mold in the News: Issue 94

Mold in the News: Issue 94
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 13 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Family warns of black mold after renting two homes: A local family hopes their experience with black mold will to lead to some kind of law protecting all renters in Georgia. The family told Channel 2’s Eric Philips that black mold forced them to move three times in three months. “We have just been through torture. Horrific torture,” said Melissa, who asked that her real name not be used. She showed Philips picture after picture of water damage and black mold and warned that an advertisement that says newly renovated or fresh paint and carpet may be only hiding the problem.

Response to Post-Hurricane Sandy Mold Is Questioned: At a mayoral debate in January, candidates vied to outdo one another in their dire warnings of a growing threat to public health that they said was hurting families all over New York City. Soon afterward, public and private groups pledged that millions of dollars would be spent to fight the scourge. And last month, Congressional representatives from New York called upon the federal government to help resolve what they called “this emerging crisis.”
Why You Should Have a Mold Inspection Before Buying a Home: Mold can hide behind baseboards, beneath carpet and under a new paint job. Mold spores can not hide from a mold detection device that tests the concentration of spores in the air. Since extensive mold in a home can make it virtually unlivable, paying for a specialized mold inspection can potentially save you thousands of dollars and your health.
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Breast cancer mould study: A Newcastle businessman is looking for 30 women to take part in a study examining a link between breast cancer and household mould. Vince Neil has been approved for a pilot study after he accidentally discovered the potential link as part of his work testing for indoor contamination. The study, to be carried out in partnership with researchers from the United States, will compare results from indoor environments with cancerous and non cancerous breast tissue samples.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (5)
Blackhawk gives parents update on mold problem: Blackhawk Area School District officials haven’t decided on a remediation plan for eliminating a mold presence at Northwestern Elementary School, but the superintendent gave parents an update Monday night on the problem and options. Superintendent Michelle Miller said that in early November, two leaks in the school’s steam-heating system caused moisture levels to rise in the gymnasium and three adjacent storage rooms, creating the perfect habitat for mold to grow.
Tests show no mold in Abington pool area; officials to keep searching: Less than a week after parents voiced concerns over air quality at the high school swimming pool, a test commissioned by the Abington Heights School District found no harmful mold spores in the area surrounding it. Completed by J. Miller and Sons Inc. of Swoyersville on Feb. 19, the indoor air-quality test detected no harmful mold spores in the boys locker room, the hallway heading into the pool office or the pool area, according to the report obtained by The Times- Tribune on Tuesday. Despite the encouraging results, Superintendent Michael Mahon, Ph.D., said the district will commission further testing to solve the issue parents say caused swimmers to suffer respiratory problems.
UT students complain of mold at newly-built, off-campus apartment complex: University of Tennessee students at a privately-owned, off-campus apartment complex in Knoxville are complaining of mold and mildew in their units. It’s a large complex, only four years old, but apartment management claims what students see is only moisture. Molds are part of the natural environment and are usually not a problem indoors unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing.

Mould issues at Montreal school beyond repair: Extensive mould issues at a Montreal school have left the building beyond repair, forcing the school board to tear it down and rebuild it. Montreal’s French school board (CSDM) announced today it will tear down Rosemont’s École Baril and rebuild it in a $16 million project. The staff and students of the original École Baril have been hit with a series of unfortunate events ever since they were first forced to leave the school in October 2011 because of mould issues.
Suffolk board dismissed from suit about mold claims: A Circuit Court judge Monday dismissed the School Board from a lawsuit that claims a student faced repeated illnesses and academic setbacks because of excessive mold and moisture in his elementary school. The board is immune from claims made in the suit because maintaining schools is a governmental function, attorney Ann Sullivan said before Judge Rodham T. Delk Jr. ruled in her client’s favor.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (3)
Mold condition remediated at South River museum: A persistent mold condition at the South River Historical & Preservation Society museum on Main Street has been addressed. According to Councilman Thomas Roselli, who spoke about the issue at the Feb. 11 business meeting, the borough earmarked $4,300 for the remediation last year. Although it obtained quotes from vendors at the time, action was likely delayed because of superstorm Sandy. Roselli said the mold issue is of particular concern because the building is not only open to the public and used regularly by historical society members, but also houses borough artifacts.
Mold Rampant at Little Havana’s Haley Sofge Towers, Residents Say: Just blocks from Marlins Park sits the Haley Sofge Towers, which house elderly residents. From the outside, the buildings aren’t in the best of conditions with crumbled walls and chipped paint, but it’s inside that would blow most people away. Walk through the front door and there’s evidence of mold. Base boards are missing. The tile floor is filthy with dirt stains. Through a foyer sits the laundry room with more mold and dirty conditions. The air conditioning duct over the washers is falling apart and has what appears to be a leak.

View more videos at: http://nbcmiami.com.

Nunavut MLA says mold found in some new public housing units: A Nunavut MLA is raising concerns over mold found in some public housing units in the territory. MLAs have been talking about the state of public housing units in the territory. On Friday, Akulliq MLA John Ningark had questions for the Minister Responsible for the Nunavut Housing Corporation. He wanted to know if Peter Taptuna had been informed that the Corporation’s new houses have mold. Ningark said some of the houses are less than five years old.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Orange County woman alleges manufactured home filled with mold: Orange County resident Mary Bouley has filed suit against Oak Creek Homes, alleging the manufactured home she was sold has numerous defects. The suit was filed Jan. 30 in Orange County District Court. According to the lawsuit, on Sept. 16, 2010, Bouley purchased a manufactured home from Oak Creek in Vidor for $55,406.