Mold in the News: Issue 98
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 13 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (4)
N.J. considers limits for mold exposure, standards for remediation: Getting rid of mold in flood-damaged homes has been a major concern in the Garden State since Superstorm Sandy. The New Jersey Assembly has passed a measure to help ensure that the work is done properly. The legislation would set standards for exposure limits to mold in residential buildings. “Having a standard set in place of what is acceptable, this allows a homeowner or a school system to know what is OK for the health of their children or their family,” said Assemblyman Dan Benson, sponsor of the measure.
‘Mould is affecting children’s health’: A family who blames their daughter’s bad health on a mould infestation in their flat have hit out at their housing association. Kerry Barrett, and her partner Matthew Fletcher live at a flat at Queens Drive in Bedford, owned by Bedfordshire Pilgrims Housing Association (bpha), with their two children Hannah and Chloe. But they say Hannah has been diagnosed with asthma and suffers with severe coughing fits, which they claim is down to mould in the house.
Mould is making life a misery, says Basingstoke mum: A YOUNG mother has hit out after battling to get a mould problem tackled in her Basingstoke flat. Heather Mabbott said the mould in her studio flat, in Pinkerton Road, South Ham, has caused her daughter breathing problems and her partner has had to sleep on the floor, away from the affected area. The 23-year-old has lived in the Sovereign Kingfisher property since 2010, and shares it with her partner Ruben Gook, 22, and her nine-month-old daughter Eliana.
Resident’s plea over constant mould in flat: A frustrated resident has appealed to a housing association to rid her flat of mould. Nolly Clarke says the property in Sandy is mould-ridden to the point where it is affecting her health. Nolly, of Glebe Road has been complaining to Aragon Housing Association about the problem since January. But despite regular telephone calls she claims nothing has been done.
MOLD and HEALTH (2)
FDA warns of mold in recalled specialty drugs: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned doctors and hospital managers Monday about a nationwide recall of all drugs made by a New Jersey compounding pharmacy because of possible mold contamination. The recalled products from Med Prep Consulting Inc. include dozens of antibiotics, pain relievers and drugs used in surgery and labor. The drugs were packaged in infusion bags, plastic syringes and glass vials and distributed to regional hospitals in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Delaware.
Nurse spotted mold-tainted drugs right away, hospital says: A sharp-eyed nurse at Yale-New Haven Hospital in Connecticut is being credited with raising a warning last week about floating mold in vital intravenous drugs, prompting a mass recall — and possibly averting serious infections in patients in at least four states. The nurse spotted the debris in a bag of magnesium sulfate IV solution as part of a routine safety check, according to spokesman Rob Hutchison.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
No black mold found at Silas: A comprehensive air-quality test done Friday at Silas Willard Elementary School revealed no black mold anywhere in the building. Students from a fifth-grade class at the school were moved to the former Giant Foods building after tests in the room revealed mold was present. According to a District 205 news release, Daniel Brust from Aires Company of Peoria completed the test Friday and notified district officials Monday “that all rooms were in the normal range for allergens. There was absolutely no black mold found anywhere in the building.”
Mold found in Galesburg school: 5th graders in Galesburg are still waiting to return to their old classroom after mold was found inside last week. School leaders noticed the mold in Silas Willard Elementary after one teacher began experiencing headaches. In the meantime, some 5th graders have moved into a neighboring building. As for the cause – that’s still up in the air.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (4)
City addresses fire station mold, drainage issues: The Alabaster City Council voted during its March 18 meeting to spend up to $61,150 to address recently discovered mold and drainage issues at Alabaster’s Fire Station No. 1. During the meeting, the council authorized companies to replace the station’s roof, fix drainage problems and remove mold from the building, which is on First Avenue West. Mold and leaks were discovered during recent renovation work preparations at the station, Alabaster City Manager George Henry said during a March 14 council work session.
Auburn Glenn Apartment residents complain about mold: Residents living at the Auburn Glenn Apartments in southeast Atlanta said when it rains outside, it pours inside the building. “I don’t have anywhere else to go,” resident Theresa Crawford said. Crawford depends on government funding to live at the complex, and she said if she could afford to move she would because every time it rains, her apartment leaks. “Now that time has gone on and it’s been like this, we are getting more sick,” Crawford said.
Mold forces Philly-area senior center to close: A suburban Philadelphia senior center is expected to be closed for weeks after the discovery of mold.
Mattress mould discovered at Halifax infirmary: The Capital District Health Authority is conducting a complete audit of its mattresses after mould was discovered in some hospital beds at the Halifax Infirmary a few weeks ago. Workers found the problem when they were changing the plastic mattress covers.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Couple fights insurer Insurance Australia Group over mould infestation in home: A COUPLE who claim they have been unable to live in their home for more than a year because it is infested with toxic mould are fighting an insurance giant over storm cover. Robert Guerin and Bronwyn Williams have taken legal action against Insurance Australia Group, and fear others could be living in contamination time bombs. “Our life has been hijacked,” Mr Guerin said.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) March 26, 2013