Mold in the News: Issue 102
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 11 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Who’s responsible for your mold problem?: In 2011, the Hughes rented a house in Fernandina Beach and now that house has a mold problem. “It has been horrible,” said Kristen Hughes. Hughes said she noticed a leak a month after they moved in. Almost a year later, May 2012, Hughes said they discovered mold throughout a closet and the master bedroom. The property manager repaired the damaged area, but Hughes said the mold problem is back, in the same bedroom.
Mould is making life a misery for family: A SINGLE mum-of-three has shared the same bed as her children for four months to protect them from sleeping in a bedroom with reoccurring damp and mould. Allanah Wilson (22), who lives in a council house in Coronation Avenue, Long Clawson, only moved her children from her bedroom to their own this week after removing mould from the walls and repainting it herself. She has been struggling with on-going mould problems at the property since moving there in 2010 and has taken to treating and repainting the problem areas, which can be found in the kitchen, living room, bathroom and children’s bedroom, every three to four months.
Why basements can be scary: Mike Holmes: The most important thing when finishing a basement is to insulate it properly. Otherwise you’re just asking for mould issues. One of the most popular renovation jobs is the basement. Done properly, a finished basement can add a lot more livable space to your home. It usually becomes a place where the kids — and sometimes adults — go to play. What guy doesn’t dream of having a man cave? And a finished basement can be a bonus if you ever want to sell your home.
MOLD and HEALTH (2)
Doctors: Mold from Sandy water damage likely to spur stronger than usual allergy season: Allergy sufferers are in for quite the battle. Health experts project the 2013 allergy season to be one of the worst on record, especially in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. They say mold spurred by intense water damage may create an entirely new population of allergic Long Islanders.
NY-based Wegmans recalls some fruit juices because they contain mold byproducts: Wegmans Food Markets says it’s recalling two fruit juice products because they may contain unacceptable levels of a byproduct of mold. The grocery chain says some 64 oz. containers of Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Organic Apple Juice and Wegmans Food You Feel Good About Organic Cranberry Juice Blend may contain patulin. It says the substance is unlikely to cause illness, but shouldn’t be consumed.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
Mold Found In School: Mold has been found in a new school planned by the Hazleton Area School District. Flawed construction is blamed. Workers are inside are busy renovating the new Hazleton Area Academy of Science building near Hazleton. The building was bought by the school district for $4 million. Now mold has been found in the structure. An architect, Douglas Rohrbaugh said luckily it’s trapped between an inner and and outside wall.
KLCC Eugene Oregon NPR-Mold Infests Waldport School: 400 students at Crestview Heights School in Waldport have had an extended spring break this year. Mold has found its way into the walls at Crestview Heights School. During a classroom renovation in late march construction workers found mold behind a cabinet. After further inspection mold was found in other rooms. Tom Rinearson is the Superintendent of the Lincoln County School District. He says over spring break the mold infestation was removed. Now he is focused on getting students back in the classroom.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (3)
Whiteville votes in favor of city hall project: Whiteville City Council members voted to carry on with mold remediation and renovations to part of city hall March 16, but two board members were not happy with the decision. Council Member Jimmy Clarida made a motion, seconded by Council Member Vickie Pait, to instruct City Manager Larry Faison to move ahead and seek bids for specifications and plans to clean the basement and renovate the offices there.
Mold closes Savannah Ronald McDonald House as charity opens Memorial Family Room: Although the discovery of mold in several areas of the Savannah Ronald McDonald House has forced organizers to temporarily close the about 26-year-old facility, the charity that runs it is pushing forward with celebrating its newest project.
Tenant battles moldy apartment: A home should be a safe haven, but one woman has discovered that her home is infested with mold. Amanda Darnell contacted NewsChannel 12 about a mold problem in her New Bern apartment. “It’s in the air, you can smell it. You’re breathing it in,” said Darnell. She moved into the Camden Square Apartments September 2012. Darnell said about a month after she moved in, mold began taking over her home.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Blight beat: Flooding, mold growth inside vacant home prompts legal action: The Ypsilanti Township Office of Community Standards is taking on a blight case at a relatively new home. For at least eight months, the home at 5777 Merritt has sat vacant. But during that time it has flooded and is decaying from the inside out. Now, the township is preparing to take legal action as the home’s owner fails to respond to requests to bring the property up to code.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) April 15, 2013