Mold in the News: Issue 105

Mold in the News: Issue 105
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Widespread mold is latest obstacle for Sandy recovery in Moonachie, Little Ferry: For months, Regina Coyle and Kimberly Chastain have seen hundreds of lower Bergen County residents still struggling with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Some are new faces, but countless others are still dealing with problems that have lingered — or in some cases failed to surface until recently. Many of the affected residents live in a flood plain, and are used to periodic problems in their basements. However, Sandy’s floods were unusual in that it was salt water, and warm spring temperatures have made the mold a resilient problem. “Now that it’s warm, people who thought the mold was taken care of find out that it’s not,” said Storm Recovery Project Manager Tess Tomasi. “It comes back.”
Receding water can lead to mold: We’ve all seen the pictures of flooding around the Wabash Valley. You can see streets, homes, and vehicles all underwater. Unfortunately, the problems don’t stop when the rising water does. While everyone sees the high water in the streets and the cellars, another side effect isn’t so often seen, at least not with the eyes. That side effect is mold.

Receding water can lead to mold

13-Year-Old McDonald’s Hamburger Still In Good Shape — No Mold, Fungus: This VERY old McDonald’s hamburger is alarming, to say the least. Damn, McDonald’s makes some killer left-overs, because their left-overs will last for at least 13 years! This whole thing is actually a mistake. David Whipple used this McDonald’s hamburger back in 1999 to show how live enzymes worked. After he was finished showing off the burger, he wrapped it back up, put it in a coat, put the coat in a closet and completely forgot about the hamburger… until more than a year later. Now, you may be thinking that it would be very hard to let food go unattended in your house without noticing it. Wouldn’t there be a smell? Wouldn’t it rot? Wouldn’t there be an army of bugs leading to a closet to feast on the damn thing?

MOLD and HEALTH (2)
A Kaneohe woman says her home made her sick. Kaneohe woman wants water leak, mold problem fixed in public housing unit: Mold is building up in her public housing unit and she knows what’s causing it. But after months of waiting for a fix, she turned to KHON2’s Action Line for help. Felicia Alimoot, 82, has lived in her one-bedroom apartment for several years and she says she’s never experienced something like this. The former school bus driver spent months hoping for a response and then called Action Line. The holes in the bathroom ceiling are just the beginning of the problem. Water leaking from the apartment above created mold, which she says made her sick.

Woman kept alive by tube wins battle to be moved from mould-ridden flat: A woman kept alive by a tube running into her heart has won her battle to be temporarily moved out of a mould ridden flat she feared could kill her. Esme Brown-Joseph, 72, suffers with short bowel syndrome forcing her to be fed intravenously through a Hickman line and into her heart. She complained to Merton Priory Homes 18 months ago when mould first appeared in her flat in Illingworth Road, Mitcham. She was moved into temporary accommodation while repairs were made, but the mould has since returned.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (2)
Mold mess: Contaminated condo leads to long ordeal: The first sign of trouble came when Rita Siegel touched a cardboard box in her closet and it was wet. She lifted the box, rolled back the carpeting and saw water seeping in from the condominium next door. Then she noticed the smell of mold. A water leak in the vacant condominium next door had soaked through the wall and infiltrated her Palm Springs home, bringing with it mold that grew on her clothes, carpets and furniture. She eventually moved out, waiting for the problem to be fixed.
Capital Health to replace 160 mouldy mattresses: The Capital District Health Authority must replace approximately 10 per cent of all the mattresses in its hospitals after an audit found mould on dozens of them at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax. Health officials said mould was found on 160 mattresses at the Halifax Infirmary and Victoria General buildings in an audit that was ordered last month after a staff member discovered mould as they were changing a mattress cover. Mary Ellen Gurnham, the director of professional practice and the chief nursing officer at the Capital District Health Authority, said the mould was likely caused by water getting underneath the mattress covers.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Renter’s rights: How to get rid of mold: We get a lot of calls about mold in apartments. Many of you want to know how to make apartment managers get rid of the nasty stuff. Paul Bloom called consumer expert Amy Davis when he said the mold in his apartment was making him sick. “I’ve had the fatigue, joint pain,” Bloom explained to Davis. Bloom has had the symptoms for months, but he only discovered the mold inside the wall of his unit where the air-conditioning unit is. The mold was black, growing up the walls and on the bottom where Bloom suspects his A/C condensing unit had been dripping for months.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

MISC. (4)
Following mold scare, Tinton Falls drug compounding center must comply with new regulations: A Tinton Falls drug compounding business that has been closed since mold was discovered in five infusion bags sent to a Connecticut hospital must prove it can meet enhanced safety standards before being allowed to reopen, state regulators said. Med Prep Consulting Inc. halted operation in mid-March after recalling its entire line of drugs when contaminated bags of magnesium sulfate it had compounded and dispensed to Yale-New Haven Hospital were found. No injuries were reported but state and federal regulators, and the company, launched an investigation.
MOLD GUIDANCE FOR NEW JERSEY RESIDENTS: The New Jersey Department of Health has released Mold Guidelines for New Jersey Residents recovering from Superstorm Sandy. The State’s guidelines have been revised to more thoroughly inform homeowners about the importance of remediating homes or businesses affected by molds and provide some suggestions on how New Jerseyans can take corrective actions to address such conditions.
After the flood: Preventing mold: Now that the flood waters are receding in West Michigan, the long and stressful work of drying out has begun for those affected. According to the Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan, drying out completely is critical or another problem may arise: Mold. “Damp environments are going to promote mold growth if we don’t dry out homes quickly,” says Paul Haan, Executive Director for Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan. “Mold is everywhere in our environment and what we want to avoid is the house being a conducive place [for mold] to propagate rampantly.” The Healthy Homes Coalition is offering these four important tips for people as they begin the drying out process.

Mold Awareness Seminars Coming to Ocean County: Two seminars on mold awareness for Ocean County homeowners and residents will be held in May, Ocean County Freeholder Gerry P. Little announced. The Ocean County Health Department along with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey will be hosting a seminar on Saturday, May 4 at the Stafford Municipal Building and Saturday, May 11 at the Ocean Beach First Aid Building, both from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.