Mold in the News: Issue 113

Mold in the News: Issue 113
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 15 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Cold, Damp Spring Causing More Mold Than Usual: Our chilly, wet weather outside is creating a problem inside: mold is growing at rates not seen in years. Air quality expert Mac Pearce explains, “mold requires sustained wet conditions,” the sort Minnesota has had in recent weeks. As a result, many water restoration specialists say they’re getting flooded with calls for water damage, typically accompanied by mold.

Curious case of toxic mold pits Chamber of Commerce employees against City of Madison: Four women work together in a small building in Madison. They begin to behave strangely, developing nosebleeds and coughs, complaining of constant exhaustion. They appear to forget words, at times seeming to lose track mid-sentence. In 2007, a tip from a neighbor led the women to consider the Chamber office itself as the source of their ailments. They looked and they found blackish green mold in the walls, in the vents and under the old historic building. In June of that year, they refused to enter the building again, opting to work from home.
Sandy Springs couple upset over apartment mold: A Sandy Springs couple is taking matters into their own hands after, they said, their apartment complex failed to fix a mold problem. Sara Ausburn contacted Channel 2 Action News about the issue at the Residences at Morgan Falls Apartments on Roswell Road.

MOLD and HEALTH (3)
Mold in Juice Box: So many children drink them every day, but a Brooklyn family says their son got sick after drinking from a juice box. And when 7 On Your Side took the box to a lab to be tested, what we found was disturbing, but not uncommon.

Toxic Mold Poses As Health Threat To Sandy Victims: Seven months after Hurricane Sandy hit the eastern coast of the United States, New York and New Jersey health officials are warning residents that toxic mold is growing on contaminated areas. The New Jersey Department of Health is distributing pamphlets that can help residents identify mold in their homes and businesses. “As New Jersey recovers and rebuilds from Superstorm Sandy, mold and its remediation may become a significant issue for many New Jersey residents,” said Mary E. O’Dowd, New Jersey Health Commissioner. “Although molds are common in our environment, mold may become a problem when it grows inside homes.
Doctors advise homeowners on removing mold to prevent respiratory problems: Doctors are advising homeowners how to best deal with mold as the wet weather can lead to irritating respiratory conditions. Physicians insist that simply wiping away mold with a damp sponge will not solve the problem. Bleach or another chemical may be necessary to completely eliminate the source of the spores.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (3)
Dine Education Offices Closed to Remedy High Levels of Mold: The Department of Diné Education offices were closed Monday due to cleaning after tests confirmed a higher than average mold spore count was found after air and on surfaces testing for mold in the Department of Diné Education offices. Navajo Nation Facilities Maintenance department were slated to clean the offices to reduce mold spores in the offices.
State cites 2 East Ramapo schools for mold, vermin: At least two East Ramapo school buildings have mold, vermin and unsafe air quality, the state Department of Labor found in an investigation.
Meeting held after mold closes Meridian Elementary: Meridian Elementary School is closed because of mold. Superintendent Terry Moreland says maintenance crews found the mold while they were cleaning some walls of peeling paint.

MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (5)
Army housing still not fit for heroes as families put up with mould and more in shabby homes: Two in five service families worry about repairs and maintenance, a new report has foundMould grows around the windows, creeping on to the walls of badly cracked plaster. Ceilings are spattered with ugly brown damp patches. On the floor, worn old carpets are so frayed they don’t reach the skirting boards. In one kitchen, sheeting is taped over what are feared to be asbestos panels. In another an electric socket hangs off the wall with bare wires in reach of little fingers.
Mold Means More Cost for GulfQuest: Tomorrow the Mobile City Council could vote on another additional cost for GulfQuest, the result of mold issues at the maritime museum. Testing, clean-up, remediation, and lost work time total $967,000 in change orders.

City approves $900,000 for Maritime Museum mold

Possible mold prompts officials to close Old Jefferson fire station: Jefferson Parish officials shut down an Old Jefferson firehouse after informal testing revealed the presence of toxic mold. Station 11, located at 3525 Jefferson Highway, will remain closed until additional air quality testing can be completed, according Kriss Fortunato, spokeswoman for the parish.
Bolivar staffers say city hall had mold problem for years: It’s like a black mark on Bolivar city politics. The discovery of black mold forced staff to relocate a few months ago, but now some former staff members say they noticed the mold long before then. Staffers snapped photos in the women’s bathroom back in 1991, clearly showing mold in shades of green behind the wallpaper.
Mold problem closes Española health building: About 60 Rio Arriba County and state employees have the week off while the Health Commons building in Española is fumigated for mold. Lauren Reichelt, director of the Rio Arriba County Health and Human Services Department, said the building was closed late Friday after a few employees of El Centro Family Health broke out in rashes that were believed to be related to the clinic’s medical records room and an adjacent storage room. The building also houses the state Department of Health’s Española Public Health Office.
MISC. (1)
Maintain your vehicle and stay cool this summer: What is that smell? The musties can send more than one driver racing to the local garage or dealer service department to seek relief at any cost. Those mould or mildew odours coming from the dash of your vehicle are caused by a few spores thriving in the warm dark and moist environment that is your vehicle’s HVAC housing. When the air conditioning is turned on, the blower fan moves the air though a mould-or mildew-laden AC cooling coil, and we all know the results.