Mold in the News: Issue 121

Mold in the News: Issue 121
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 22 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (6)
Mold can be frightening but curable with right help: It is one of the worse fears a homeowner can sniff out when they walk down to their basement – water, moisture, and dampness!
Toronto floods cause E. coli risk in homes: Three days after heavy rainfall caused mass flooding in her Etobicoke home, Lois Thorne noticed mould. “You can see the watermarks…see how high the water was?,” she told CBC’s Shannon Martin in the flood aftermath. A few weeks post-flood, the watermarks are the least of her worries. Her home is now contaminated with E. coli.
Sandy family gets double whammy after mold forces them from rental: A Long Island mother of two cried as she went through family belongings inside a rental unit in West Babylon. Lauren Norinder said she had to throw out her five-year old son’s Mother’s Day card, along with clothing and furniture, because the FEMA-funded two bedroom apartment she’s been renting since March has mold. Norinder is breaking the lease two months early and going to her mother’s house, because her options have run out.
Post-flooding moisture poses threat: professor: A University of Toronto professor is warning residents whose basements flooded in the torrential July 8 rainstorm to take action against moisture-damaged materials to protect themselves against mould growth. Since the 126 millimetre deluge, Etobicoke residents have contended with insurance adjusters and contractors hired to rip out sewage-soaked carpet, flood-damaged flooring and soggy drywall. The question — did they do it quickly enough? Professor Jeffrey Siegel, who studies indoor air quality in residential and commercial buildings, urges residents that if they didn’t act quickly to professionally dry moisture-damaged materials, they should pitch them. “Any moisture-damaged materials should be dried professionally with an industrial-sized dehumidifier very fast, within 48 hours, to really remove all the moisture. Otherwise, those materials should be removed and replaced. I’m not diminishing the fact that can be a very expensive proposition,” Siegel said.
Six rooms at RUH closed since May: Seven beds in six rooms at Royal University Hospital (RUH) have been closed since May because of water damage from a leaking roof. “We sealed off the rooms to restrict access as a precaution because we didn’t know what we were dealing with,” said Marcel Nobert, director of facilities management with the Saskatoon Health Region. After all of the drywall was removed, a small amount of mold was discovered in one of the rooms.
Got black mold? Here’s how to get rid of it: News 12’s cameras were rolling as we toured the inside of an Augusta home to see the potential hazards associated with black mold.

MOLD and HEALTH (4)
Mold Cases Rising Due to Wet Weather: Rain brought a cooler summer to Central Georgia, but with that wet, humid weather comes mold, and a lot of it.

Midwest Mold Count At New High, Reports Gottlieb Allergist: Gottlieb Allergy Count, the official allergy count for the Midwest, reports the mold count today is 35,000, a high for 2013, but well under the 50,000 threshold that signals a dangerous air quality warning.
Juice Box Mold Can Form Quickly: If you’re eating or drinking right now, especially a juice box, you might want to set it down for a moment. A non-edible, disgusting slime was found in a child’s juice box, and is prompting a warning from doctors at St. Louis Children’s Hospital.

Mold In The CSRA Making Asthma Worse: Dr. William Dolen, Professor of Pediatrics at Georgia Regents Medical Center says, “Trouble breathing, shortness of breath, having to go to the emergency room, maybe even coming into the hospital.” Those are all symptoms for people suffering from mold and asthma and record rainfall in the CSRA the past two months is only making the problem worse.

WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

MOLD IN SCHOOLS (4)
Mold growth delays Wilcox County Elementary School year: De-humidifiers are running inside a south Georgia elementary school that’s closed because of mold as an inspector works on a treatment plan. School started in Wilcox County Thursday, but not at the elementary school.
Mold Problems at Cherry Hill East Move Summer Programs: Several events are being moved out of Cherry Hill East next week, as workers clean up what schools officials have said is a mold problem isolated to one wing of the high school.
Three Penn State Dorms Taken Out of Service Due to Mold: Three Penn State dormitories were recently taken out of service because of a mold problem which is blamed on summertime humidity.
Old Mill Pond School in Palmer undergoing mold cleanup: Superintendent Thomas A. Charko said mold cleanup at Old Mill Pond School should be completed by Friday.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (7)
Mold forces legislators out of Council House: The Cherokee Nation’s legislative branch has been temporarily relocated to the W.W. Keeler Tribal Complex following the July 17 discovery of several mold species in the Council House.
Flood, mold leave Chapel Hill residents in limbo: If it weren’t for the dark windows and storage pods in the parking lot, life at the Airport Gardens Apartments would have seemed normal last week.
South Fargo Landlord Reacts to Mold Claims: Tonight we’re following up on a story we brought you first on Wednesday. A tenant was having a hard time getting his south Fargo landlord to fix a problem involving everything from electrical malfunctions to mold. But there are two sides to every story and tonight we bring you the landlords take on the situation and explain your rights as a renter. Valley News teams Eric Crest reports.
City fire station temporarily closed due to mold: A City of Greenwood fire station has been temporarily closed due to mold being present in the HVAC system.
Chapel Hill flood repairs, mold removal, to take time, money: It will take nearly $500,000 and up to a year to get Chapel Hill Town Hall ready for business again, officials said Wednesday.
Heavy rains damage efforts to renovate Newberry County Courthouse: Water damage, constant leaks, and now possible mold have rendered parts of the Newberry County Courthouse unusable. Employees are now concerned about their jobs and their health.
Tenant claims she’s being evicted after complaining about mold: Rachel Weicz-Smith is not happy about her living conditions. Smith, a mother of two, lives in a two-bedroom apartment at 151 Ocean Road, across from the water in Narragansett. “My apartment where I reside with my two children is infested with mold,” she said. “I brought it to the attention of my landlord after scrubbing it for five hours. It was a moldy mess like I’ve never seen in my whole life.”
MISC. (1)
Alltech reveals mycotoxin research: EFFECTIVELY managing mycotoxins and preventing them from reducing the health, productivity and reproductive performance of livestock is the key focus of Alltech’s mycotoxin management team.

3 thoughts on “Mold in the News: Issue 121

  1. Ken Larsen

    Sanjay… why do you promote poor representations of competent restoration practice with the news video clip in this thread? (First video clip). The restorer who entered the building (and needs a better haircut), knowingly violated many accepted protocols of personal protective equipment including OSHA laws. Kicking holes in moldy walls is a competent practice? Unprotected interviewers that complain of “effects” and acknowledgement of it “not being good for you” while turning a blind eye to risk is acceptable? It is news reports like this that make the world believe that the mold removal industry is a scam… and how can we blame them after seeing videos like this?! We should not be promoting this incompetence with attention to blogs of this sort. Please screen these poor representations of your industry. Thanks.

    Ken Larsen, CR, WLS, CSDS

    • Sanjay Gupta

      Primary reason for posting this video was to show the extent of the mold damage in the home caused by a busted pipe. My interpretation of the news article that preceded the video is that the home will most likely not be lived in again because it is such a large loss of $90,000. I agree with you that the remediator should have been wearing proper protection and advised the news reporter to do so as well. Though, I think this was not done partly because this appeared on tv and news, quite frankly, now a days is not concerned with educating but entertaining.

Comments are closed.