Mold in the News: Issue 136

Mold in the News: Issue 136
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 22 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Some homes hit by Sandy to get mold removal aid: Officials say Island Park residents and hundreds of other Long Islanders hit hard by Sandy will get help tackling mold removal.
One Year After Sandy, Hospital Still Screening for Mold-Related Health Issues: Among Hurricane Sandy’s longest-lasting and more insidious legacies is the mold that has stained the walls of once-inundated buildings. But for Deborah Heart and Lung Center the damage is more than cosmetic. It’s helping residents detect whether they have mold-related health problems.
“Slow torture”: Finland’s mould-ridden schools causing breathing difficulties for kids: Finland is touted as having the best school system in the world, but pupils are being forced to abandon subjects or even move schools to avoid the chronic ill-health caused by widespread damp and mould problems.
MOLD and HEALTH (4)
State Knew Chobani Yogurt was Tainted Months before Recall, FDA Says: The Idaho Department of Agriculture saw moldy yogurt during a routine inspection at Chobani two months before the company issued a voluntary recall, says a U.S. Food and Drug Administration report obtained by the Times-News under a Freedom of Information Act request.
Could you be allergic to your Christmas tree?: IF YOU get a bout of the sniffles in the next couple of weeks, be aware it might not be a seasonal cold – it could be your Christmas tree that is to blame for your sneezes.
How an aggressive fungal pathogen causes mold in fruits and vegetables: A research team led by a molecular plant pathologist at the University of California, Riverside has discovered the mechanism by which an aggressive fungal pathogen infects almost all fruits and vegetables.
Could you be allergic to your house?: Mould can trigger breathing problems and may even, in rare cases, be life-threatening.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (3)
Washington High gets intense mold cleaning: Atlanta’s school system is spending $264,000 to rid recurring mold from Booker T. Washington High School.
In Bradford County Schools, Mold Problem Apparently Larger Than Starke Elementary: Starke Elementary’s 500 students and 60 teachers and administrators were relocated to schools around the district after an air quality test ordered by Superintendent Chad Farnsworth on Aug. 5 tested positive for elevated levels of mold inside the 16-year-old facility.
MUN mould prompts move for geography prof: A geography professor at Memorial University says the campus building he works in might not be safe. Alistair Bath and some of his students fear that mould and asbestos could be harming their health. A petition to address those concerns in the science building on the St. John’s campus is currently being circulated by students.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (7)
Jackson’s Justice Complex to see mold testing continue: A faulty air-handling system is likely the culprit behind a mold outbreak in Jackson’s Justice Complex, and could cost the township more than $44,000.
Mold removal begins Monday night for Central Library: Mold was recently discovered inside an office wall in Mesa County’s Central Library, nearly six months after construction for the expansion project was completed.
Mold forces Mount Pleasant fire department to pack up and move: A growing mold problem has forced the city of Mount Pleasant to close its fire hall and move to a temporary building on the outskirts of town.

WSMV Channel 4

Mould discovery stalls Glen Leslie restoration: The discovery of mould has caused some minor delays to the Glen Leslie Church restoration project. The church, located approximately 20 kilometres east of Grande Prairie, has suffered some minor damage potentially due to the amount of rain that fell on the region over the summer, causing mould (Stachybotrys) to grow between the floor and the sub-flooring.
County to spend $258,000 to determine mould source at Fergusson Place: It could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to determine how water is seeping into the basement – and how to fix the problem – at Fergusson Place, the 55-unit affordable housing apartment operated in Fergus by Wellington County at the corner of Highway 6 and Gordon Street.
Caversham family’s distress over damp and mouldy flat: A pregnant woman says she is being forced to sleep on a mattress with her partner in the living room of her flat in Caversham because of mould.
Home Sweet Home, Spoiled by Mold and Tight Quarters: “I have a big hole in the ceiling and I have mold on the wall,” she said, describing the conditions in her bedroom.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (1)
Dawson wastewater contractor fined over mould cleanup: Corix Water Systems is facing a fine from the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board for failing to properly clean up mould contamination at the Dawson City Wastewater Treatment Plant.
MISC. (4)
Mold affects one of the country’s biggest Christmas tree growing: Under Rudolph’s watchful eye it’s the most wonderful time of year for business at Tower View Farm.
How To Rid Your Washing Machine Of Mold: Mold thrives in moist, dark environments and must have a good food source. These conditions are often met in our washing machines for the following reasons. Most high-efficiency washers are front-loaders. Front-loaders, by nature, must be sealed watertight and often don’t have good internal ventilation. Residual water is not allowed to evaporate out of the washer between loads and is allowed to stagnate.
Mike Holmes: Choose the right subfloor system: Protects your flooring from moisture and mould.
Leaky Roof Leads to Mold Problem at Animal Shelter: The recent rain is hurting an animal shelter. Water is leaking through the roof at the Animal Welfare Society of Monroe (AWSOM) cat house. The leak is causing mold to spread across the ceiling.