Mold in the News: Issue 150
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 21 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Mouldy Vancouver condo blamed on reno firm: A Vancouver father says his family is stuck living in a condo plagued with mould, after the construction firm rainscreening their building failed to deal with leaking water.
Tenants Still Waiting for Judge to Approve NYCHA Mold Removal Settlement: In December, the New York City Housing Authority and lawyers representing its tenants reached a settlement intended to cut down the absurdly long wait time for basic repairs. One of the provisions required housing officials to respond to mold complaints within 15 days. Everybody agreed this was good news and we media folks wrote a little something about it. Then many of us moved on.
Law on mold growth reporting important to home buyers: Louisiana consumers stand to win in a big way if a bill before a Senate committee becomes law. Senate Bill 66 by state Sen. Fred Mills, R-Parks, would modify home inspection law by removing a longstanding exclusion on the reporting of mold growth by home inspectors and would acknowledge a conflict of interest between real estate agents and home buyers by prohibiting real estate agents from influencing a home buyer’s choice of home inspector.
MOLD and HEALTH (4)
Sneezin’ Season: Pollen is already in the air, and the recent wet weather with snow is leading to higher levels of mold spores. For allergy sufferers, now is the time to take action.
‘Mouldy home made my family ill’: Blackburn mum hits out at Twin Valley Homes: A BLACKBURN family has hit out at Twin Valley Homes for failing to provide alternative accommodation after their home became infested with mould.
Molds to be bad this year, says new rankings of top spring allergy cities: Spring is in the air, which may mean your nose, eyes and throat will soon start to feel the effects. In the U.S., there are 45 million allergy sufferers –and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America says this year’s going to be especially rough. Experts say a mix of snowfall from a colder-than-usual winter followed by warmer temperatures, may increase moisture and mold counts in affected areas of the country.
Mold, smoke reduction in home lessened risk for asthma in middle age: Middle-aged patients who reduced their home exposure to mold and environmental tobacco smoke may decrease their asthma or asthma-related respiratory symptoms, according to researchers.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (6)
Mold and Water Damage Repair Underway at Hinsdale Middle School: Water leaks and mold shut down the school for three days in January, and forced students and staff to hold classes for a few days at Clarendon Middle School.
Health officials test Sun Valley HS for mold: a report from a private lab at Western Union Elementary in Waxhaw showed high levels of mold in four classrooms.
Mold And Structural Issues At Valley Head School To Be Treated This Summer: DeKalb County school officials say they plan to completely address the mold and structural issues at Valley Head School in the summer.
Vermin Infest Over a Fifth of UoN Student Homes: An Impact Survey of over 150 students revealed that more than a fifth of University of Nottingham (UoN) students currently have an issue with vermin and over a third have mould problems in their student house.
Magnolia school checked for mold, deemed safe: Students at Magnolia Elementary School and their parents can breathe easy now knowing that the school has been checked for mold and deemed safe.
Mold, Mildew Found In Central Texas School: Caldwell Elementary School students will be temporarily relocated after the discovery of mold and mildew in the building.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (6)
Woman gets help moving out of apartment crawling with snails: On a rainy day, getting to Andricka Phillips’ apartment means wading through ankle-deep water. So it’s no surprise to her that she’s been battling mold and slimy, slug-like bugs for months.
Concern over safety at landmark development: People living in a landmark development have called for action to address widespread structural problems and mould, amid claims the flats have become an unsafe place to live.
Renters fight with apartment complex about mold: Levi suspected mold might be the underlying cause of her family’s deteriorating health, which brought to light the battles that apartment tenants face when they want mold assessed and removed.
Mold work continues at Boardman fire station: Township Administrator Jason Loree said mold was found last week in the basement and first floor of the station on Boardman Poland Road. It will cost about $19,000 to rid the building of the substance.
More than a third of tenants at Stevenage event report mould and damp: More than a third of those attending a housing event in Stevenage have experienced damp and mould.
Greenwich Council ‘criminal’ over treatment of Eltham disabled man: A disabled Eltham man says it is “criminal” Greenwich Council has left him in a flat with mould, damp and water running down walls.
Shocking pictures show how award-winning food firm was cooking meals for children in filthy conditions with mould-stained chopping boards, dirty kitchenware and grimy surfaces: An award-winning food firm has been slapped with £18,000 legal costs after it was caught cooking meals for primary children in shocking conditions. Environmental health officers visited Food 4 Thought GB Ltd’s premises in Boston, Lincolnshire, on October 4 last year after a tip off from a concerned school. And they were stunned when they found filthy conditions in the unit where children’s meals were being prepared. As well as mould-stained chopping boards, council officers found dirty cups, plastic bowls and colanders.
Take steps at home to reduce mold, mildew: The rainy season is upon us and with that may come mold or mildew buildup.
— #GotMold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) April 13, 2014