Mold in the News: Issue 159

Mold in the News: Issue 159
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 21 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
Yesterday’s wet basement may be today’s mold problem: Mold: You know it’s not a good thing, but only the people who remove it for a living know how insidious it can be. And after the torrential rains and flooding throughout the area in June, a lot of people should probably be on the lookout for it. Even if you’ve replaced drywall, the spores can hide in the wood framing behind, even if it’s dry to the touch, said Philippe Hamze, owner of Mankato Tidy Clean.
Groups Prod NYCHA to Keep Promises on Mold: It’s been six months since two community groups and the New York Housing Authority signed a landmark settlement agreement to address mold and moisture problems in public housing units and three months since a federal judge ordered the new rules into effect.
Care Home ‘Falling Apart’ in Regina, Saskatchewan: Germaine was a care aide at Pioneer Village from 1984 to 2013. During that time, she says the building has been in a steady state of decline – particularly in the past five years. She is most concerned about asbestos and black mould in the special care home.
Humid summers lead to mold problems: Experts say moisture is a breeding ground for mold. We’re often exposed to this mold because of our humid summers and it can make us sick.
Hospira Issues Recall Due to Mold Contamination: Hospira, Inc. has announced a voluntary nationwide user-level recall of one lot of Lactated Ringers and 5% Dextrose Injection, USP, 1000 mL, Flexible Container, NDC 0409-7929-09, Lot 35-118-JT, Expiry 1NOV2015. This action is due to one confirmed customer report where particulate was identified within the solution of the primary container. The particulate was identified as a filamentous-like structured particulate indicative of mold.
Study exposes dangers of Chobani yogurt mould outbreak: A mould outbreak last year in some US containers of Chobani yogurt may have been more dangerous than the company initially acknowledged, according to a scientific study.
They’ve Figured Out How To Stop Bread From Molding Without Pumping It Full Of Nasty Chemicals: As soon as bread comes out of the oven it interacts with bacteria, yeast, and fungi in the air. The most obvious bread-microbe reaction is growth of fuzzy bluish-green mold on bread left out on the counter.
CARPHA Says Bassetterre Still Mould Infected: The Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) reports that mould is still present on the Basseterre High School campus, which was shut down in April due to concerns over persistent health complaints from some teachers and students.
Mold Still an Issue at Caldwell Elementary: With the clock ticking on the start of another school year, Caldwell ISD officials say there may not be enough time to clean up the mold found inside the elementary school before the first bell rings.
Carer slams landlord over mould problems: ONGOING problems with mould has forced a care assistant to sleep on the floor of her living room.
Mold a growing problem at one Orange County fire station: A report obtained by 9 Investigates shows the amount of mold isn’t enough to immediately make the firefighters sick.
Umatilla mold, mildew issues to be discussed at next meeting: Umatilla’s ongoing battle with mold and mildew at the police department and City Hall will be addressed by city council members.
City facilities undergo mold abatement: As part of his first month’s duties as Interim Mayor of the city of Monticello after Mayor Allen Maxwell’s death, Dr. Tim Chase, and the city council voted unanimously to accept a bid in the amount of $129,986 from Environmental Protection Associates of Little Rock to remove the dangerous black mold from city buildings.
MU receives grant to remediate, replace books affected by mold: The University of Missouri has received a grant to help with remediation or replacement of the books damaged by mold last fall.
Richibucto mom worries about mould in public housing unit: A mother in Richibucto says the mould in her New Brunswick Housing Corporation duplex is making her three children sick.
Hay River’s town hall shut due to possible mould: Hay River’s Town Hall is closed while the town investigates an air quality issue in the building.
Michigan inmate accepts $250 to settle lawsuit over mold, bleach exposure: The state Corrections Department has agreed to pay $250 to settle a lawsuit by an inmate who said his health was harmed by exposure to mold and bleach.
Orleans Parish deputy sues employer for exposure to toxic mold: An Orleans Parish Sheriff’s deputy has sued his employer and various contractors, claiming he was exposed to toxic mold while working in Orleans Parish Prison and the criminal courthouse.
MISC. (3)
Is mold testing necessary?: Joe Ponessa, who spent 25 years as a housing, indoor environment and health specialist at Rutgers Cooperative Extension, responded to a recent column about mold testing. He said much of what he knows about mold remediation comes from associating with some of the top mold people in the country.
How to fight mould, and understand what causes it to grow: Most mould, she said, comes from excess water and the types of fungi that grow give off micro toxins which can make people ill.
Drying out, waterproofing a basement: Although much of the basement had already been finished, there was dampness generally and the beginnings of mold. The sump pump was no longer doing its job during big storms, and water was creeping under the door of an unfinished crawl space into the rest of the basement, even under the washer and dryer.