Mold exposure to infants and children

Mold is a tenacious substance that can take root in the presence of moisture. Molds can grow on many substances, including Sheetrock and insulation. If you have mold in your home, your health and that of any small children or infants is at risk. According to a study by the Mayo Clinic in 1999, nearly all chronic sinus infections are a result of molds. Talk to you doctor if you or your family has been exposed to mold spores.

Black Mold
While many types of mold can contribute to health problems, black molds such as Stachybotrys atra have been linked to serious conditions in infants. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website, this mold is a greenish black and can grow on material with a high cellulose and low nitrogen content, such as fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, dust and lint. As with all molds, adequate moisture is the limiting factor for its growth. It needs a constant supply in order to maintain itself. The website also states that other types of molds are more commonly found in households and workplaces than black mold.

Mycotoxins
It is not the mold that you see that is the danger, it is the microscopic spores that are released. The spores of molds contain toxic substances called mycotoxins. In particular, Stachybotrys atra produces macrocyclic trichothecenes, according to a study published in Allergy and Asthma Proceedings in January 2003. These compounds can cause irritation in the cells lining the lungs. In July 1997, the National Institute of Environmental Health released an article about toxic mold exposure in infants. Dr. Dorr G. Dearborn was quoted in the article saying that the spores of black mold “contain very potent mycotoxins-toxins produced by fungi, which appear to be particularly toxic to the rapidly growing lungs of young infants.”

Pulmonary hemosiderosis
Pulmonary hemosiderosis is the medical term for the bleeding of the lungs of infants, which has been associated with black mold exposure. According to Dearborn, symptoms are coughing up blood or nose bleeds, particularly in infants under 6 months of age, as well as chronic cough and congestion, with anemia. The disorder requires immediate medical attention. In 1997, the Cleveland, Ohio, area reported 34 cases of the disorder because of black mold, sparking national concern and the resultant funding of clinical studies.

Effects on Lungs
Research suggests that exposure to the mold’s mycotoxins can damage lung cells. The journal Pediatric Pulmonology released a study in July 2007 investigating Stachybotrys atra’s effects on fetal rat lung cells. Dr. KC McCrae and colleagues discovered that after exposure to the mold, the cells showed DNA fragmentation, or damage. The researchers also observed that after 24 hours of exposure, the cells were able to repair some of the damage, leading to the possibility that the developing lung cells might be able to heal themselves over time.

Another study found that black mold’s toxins had negative effects on the lungs. According to a study in Mycopathologia in 2003, exposure to Stachybotrys led to red blood cell accumulation in the alveoli, or hollow air sacs, dilated capillaries engorged with red blood cells, and restricted alveolar space in the lungs.

Danger to Infants
In general, exposure to mold spores can be damaging to the lungs. Because an infant is smaller, they are at greater risk for health issues from mold exposure. The CDC states that black mold in the household is a potential health risk, and may be linked to pulmonary hemorrhage, or lung bleeding, deaths in infants.

Prevention & Solutions
According to our expert mold specialists at got mold? the most important way to prevent mold growth is to control moisture. got mold? recommends indoor humidity to be between 40 percent and 50 percent. Fix all leaks, check all ventilation, use exhaust fans, limit the amount of indoor plants, and use dehumidifiers to keep moisture out of your house. Nonporous materials can be cleaned with bleach and water solutions, however, fabrics and books exposed to mold might have to be removed. We would like to say that it’s that simple to rid the mold of your home, but if the problem exists within your walls, attic, ceilings or crawl space call us today for an evaluation on the removal process. Our experts can give you some peace of mind and assist you with any questions and concerns you may have about the removal process or the insurance process.

read more here

Posted in got news?

About got mold?™

got mold?™ is a locally owned and operated Canadian company with over 25 years of combined experience in the disaster restoration industry. A Message from the President Mold is a growing concern. To continue to thrive as a business over the next ten years and beyond, we must look far ahead, understand the ever changing world and power in order to structure our business in the future and maneuver in such a way that will allow us to anticipate challenges we face throughout our journey, enabling us to continue operating as a world class company employing great people for continued success. Our Mission Find & fix sources of unhealthy indoor air Our Vision Healthy indoor air Our Core Values Dependable - We make commitments and meet them Resourceful - We find a way or make one Knowledgeable - We are certified and constantly learning Productive - We get it done right ASAP Trustworthy - We have a great reputation Loyal - We are proud of our company and its values Ethical - We don’t compromise our values and we don’t cut corners Respectful - We care about people, property and good stewardship of money All this while maintaining the utmost in health & safety standards. Indoor air quality specialists, we are experts in mold testing, removal and remediation; fire and flood damage restoration; indoor air quality testing; asbestos surveying, asbestos testing, sampling and abatement.