Mold in the news: Issue #172

Mold in the News, calgary, high river, alberta, mold, mould, twitter, facebook, James C. Watson, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, video, warm, damp, weather, fungus, allergy, post-Irene reconstruction, health related problems, mold spores, respiratory ailments, asthma, allergies, respiratory infections, sinus infections, skin rashes, fatal, wood rot, structural damage, schools, School District, Elementary School, asbestos, leaks, public buildings, nursing home, lawyer, apartment, August, judges' chambers, Town Hall, National Register, mold and health, trees, grass, pollens, post-nasal drip, sinus headaches, health hazards, mould-blackened walls, furry, slimy or powdery substance, damp places, Hurricane Sandy

Mold In the News

At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information.
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses.

I-Team Exposes Filthy Living Conditions At Frayser Complex – MEMPHIS, TN (localmemphis.com) — Mold above the stove, around the windows and in the closets. The tenants called City Code Enforcement. Severe mold and rodent infestation are violations. So is raw sewage. The Local I-Team will follow up to make sure repairs will be made.

Volunteers Pitch in to help after water floods condo – After a long absence, Hrovatin came home to mold in December 2013. She found a collapsed ceiling in her master bedroom. Her Allstate insurance policy paid its $10,000 limit on the cleanup. But once her home was stripped, Raintree West’s insurance carrier, Community Association Underwriters of America Inc., rejected the claim, leaving her homeless.

Mold forces Atlantic City firefighters to bunk with trucks – Mold problem has pushed Atlantic City firefighters out of their living quarters in Station 1 — but won’t stop service.The firefighters assigned to the firehouse at Maryland and Atlantic avenues have set up camp in the apparatus bay as they await results of an air-quality inspection, acting Fire Chief Vincent Granese said. It’s just the latest in issues hitting the Fire Department, which could lose 88 firefighters to layoffs if a solution isn’t reached through ongoing arbitration or additional grant help.

Staff, guests weren’t told about hotels mold issues – Canada’s largest hotel — the Chelsea Hotel Toronto — discovered mould in hundreds of rooms across more than a dozen floors during renovations, but did not disclose this to employees or guests, a Star investigation has found. The hotel says all the mould has been safely removed and the renovations are set to wrap up May 31. Contractors for the hotel began removing the mould late last year when it was found at the beginning of renovations to 722 bedrooms in the top 16 floors of the hotel’s north tower on Gerrard St., just west of Yonge St.

MISC. & HEALTH

Air conditioners can lead to significant health issues – In Southwest Florida, air conditioners are a part of our lives. If not properly maintained, however, they can cause significant health problems. According to Stan Ellis, President of D&D Air Conditioning in Fort Myers, because of the hot, humid climate throughout the year, air conditioners must work optimally to cool and dehumidify the air. This activity is evidenced by the water that drains away.

MOLD IN SCHOOLS

Bay Minette Elementary principal says school conditions are ‘terrific’ in wake of asbestos, mold concerns – Recent concerns about asbestos and mold contamination at Bay Minette Elementary School have been addressed, and students and faculty are in a wholly safe environment, Principal Averette Hale said Friday. The school has undergone inspections and repairs over the last three weeks, prompted by complaints from parents, some of whom kept their children out of school until air-quality tests could be completed. According to Hale, four students missed school due to those concerns, and all but one returned shortly after asbestos testing was completed.

Non-hazardous Mold found in Jonesboro pre-school – JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) –Mold found in a Jonesboro daycare caused some panic from parents. Specks of mold were found under the carpet in one room at the Apple Tree Pre-School on Dan Avenue. The Craighead County Health Department was called out of precaution, and the inspector said the mold isn’t hazardous.

Posted in got news?

About got mold?™

got mold?™ is a locally owned and operated Canadian company with over 25 years of combined experience in the disaster restoration industry. A Message from the President Mold is a growing concern. To continue to thrive as a business over the next ten years and beyond, we must look far ahead, understand the ever changing world and power in order to structure our business in the future and maneuver in such a way that will allow us to anticipate challenges we face throughout our journey, enabling us to continue operating as a world class company employing great people for continued success. Our Mission Find & fix sources of unhealthy indoor air Our Vision Healthy indoor air Our Core Values Dependable - We make commitments and meet them Resourceful - We find a way or make one Knowledgeable - We are certified and constantly learning Productive - We get it done right ASAP Trustworthy - We have a great reputation Loyal - We are proud of our company and its values Ethical - We don’t compromise our values and we don’t cut corners Respectful - We care about people, property and good stewardship of money All this while maintaining the utmost in health & safety standards. Indoor air quality specialists, we are experts in mold testing, removal and remediation; fire and flood damage restoration; indoor air quality testing; asbestos surveying, asbestos testing, sampling and abatement.