Asbestos in the news: Issue #129

Asbestos In The News: Issue #129

Danger Asbestos Hazard Sign at a Construction Site

Danger Asbestos Hazard Sign at a Construction Site

At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of asbestos related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information.

Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of asbestos and asbestos related illnesses.
NSW Government to knock down homes insulated with Mr Fluffy asbestos after decades of inaction – Between 300 and 1,000 New South Wales homes are expected to be contaminated with the asbestos insulation, but only 57 have been identified.
BAT in $575m deal to settle asbestos dispute – British American Tobacco has agreed to pay $575m to settle a long-running dispute over asbestos and dividend claims.
Vivienne Westwood and son attempt to deliver asbestos to David Cameron in protest against fracking – Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood attempted to deliver a parcel of asbestos to David Cameron.The 73-year-old and her business man son Joseph Corre were at Downing Street campaigning about the potential health risks linked to fracking.
Vietnam to stick to white asbestos, despite cancer concern – A Health Ministry expert urged Vietnam to limit consumer exposure to chrysotile, or white asbestos, but construction insiders prevailed by arguing the material is safe and cheap.
Man pleads guilty for improper removal of asbestos in Iowa – A Sioux City developer accused of improperly removing asbestos from a former YMCA building has pleaded guilty. Records show 54-year-old Larry Wolf, of Dakota City, Nebraska, entered his plea Wednesday in federal court in Sioux City on one count of violating the work practice standards of the Clean Air Act.
Former dockyard worker secures five-figure payout from MOD over asbestos exposure – Plymouth resident, Alan Jones, was employed as a health physics monitor at Chatham Royal Dockyard in Kent between 1969 and 1979, where he was responsible for monitoring radiation levels on board nuclear submarines.
Illinois law nixes deadline for asbestos lawsuits – People exposed to asbestos now have more time to file lawsuits over related illnesses under a bill Gov. Pat Quinn has signed.
NSW Government Announces Further Assistance For Loose-Fill Asbestos Homes – The NSW Government has today announced a further assistance package for NSW residents with loose-fill asbestos in their homes. Minister for Finance and Services, Dominic Perrottet said the Government was taking action to offer both immediate and long-term measures.
Gran dying of cancer says washing overalls exposed her to asbestos – Gwen Gouland, 78, developed a persistent cough and flu-like symptoms in November and was sent for tests. However, doctors broke the news she was suffering from mesothelioma, a terminal cancer. Mrs Gouland, of Gilberdyke, thinks she was exposed to the dust throughout the 1960s and 1970s while washing her father Dunc Parkin and her husband Norman’s overalls.
Kelvin Jones’s widow Pamela awarded £192,000 by Maidstone Borough Council after he died following asbestos exposure – The widow of a man who died from exposure to asbestos has been awarded £192,000 after taking legal action against Maidstone Borough Council. Kelvin Jones, died aged 60, in 2011 after developing mesothelioma, a cancer caused by close contact with the dangerous substance which can take up to 70 years to develop. He had worked alongside asbestos in the 1980s when he was repairing council built houses on the Shepway Estate.
Titans locked out of of locker room after asbestos uncovered – For at least 10 or 12 years the youth football program in Gridley has used the old Beale Air Force Base barracks west of the swimming pool for storage.What was once used by Gridley High School for locker rooms back in the day, has been used to store uniforms, helmets, equipment and many other items for the Gridley Titans. The arrangement, at a low price of $100 a year to the county, predates any of the parents now involved in the program which means the details are unknown. In April of this year, “someone cut into some wallboard that contained asbestos while trying to fix a plumbing leak,” Butte County Safety and Risk Manager Steve Weston stated. Since that time the building has been sealed until a licensed asbestos contractor was hired by the Titans to decontaminate the equipment and athletic gear.
Posted in got news?

About got mold?™

got mold?™ is a locally owned and operated Canadian company with over 25 years of combined experience in the disaster restoration industry. A Message from the President Mold is a growing concern. To continue to thrive as a business over the next ten years and beyond, we must look far ahead, understand the ever changing world and power in order to structure our business in the future and maneuver in such a way that will allow us to anticipate challenges we face throughout our journey, enabling us to continue operating as a world class company employing great people for continued success. Our Mission Find & fix sources of unhealthy indoor air Our Vision Healthy indoor air Our Core Values Dependable - We make commitments and meet them Resourceful - We find a way or make one Knowledgeable - We are certified and constantly learning Productive - We get it done right ASAP Trustworthy - We have a great reputation Loyal - We are proud of our company and its values Ethical - We don’t compromise our values and we don’t cut corners Respectful - We care about people, property and good stewardship of money All this while maintaining the utmost in health & safety standards. Indoor air quality specialists, we are experts in mold testing, removal and remediation; fire and flood damage restoration; indoor air quality testing; asbestos surveying, asbestos testing, sampling and abatement.