When is it okay to buy chemical spray made to kill mold?
As you may have seen in many department stores there are many different brands and types of sprays designated for killing mold. These products may not always be as they claim to be as they tend to only make the mold disappear for a short period of time but in most cases it has been reported that the mold returns. Why is this? A lot of the department store brands that you can purchase contain bleach which does what it does to your clothes – bleaches it… it doesn’t exactly kill it, but it removes the color making it seemingly impossible to see anymore but will return. The store brand sprays are typically recommended to purchase if you are wiping off mildew from your patio furniture, or pulling out a tent that wasn’t properly dried before being stored. These aren’t products that you should use in your home for large areas of mold. When it comes to your indoor environment the consumer should know what they should and shouldn’t be spraying in the air and what you may be breathing in.
There are reasons that you aren’t supposed to spray mold to begin with, When you spray the mold… the pressure from the spray and the oxygen can release the spores from being contained to one area to multiple areas in your home. The spores are invisible to the human eye so you won’t be able to see them floating through the air but they will… in fact there is a great chance that as you sit and read this mold spores are floating near by. All homes have mold spores, you need to know that it all depends on what kind of mold is in your home and how much. If mold spores are abundant in the built environment there must be a source that needs to be removed and controlled. This is why it is important to have a serious situation evaluated by an environmental professional especially if you believe your mold problem is causing you or anyone in your home health issues. Keep in mind, if a mold problem is not currently causing health issues long term exposure can and most likely will cause health concerns.
Ask Dr. Jackson Kung’u, Principal Microbiologist at MBL laboratories and he will inform you that dead mold spores are just as harmful to the human lung as the living and as a matter of fact the spore will still carry a toxin. To eliminate mold from growing you need to remove the source if it’s a leak, condensation or high humidity, you will continue to spray the problem but not eliminate it.
In some cases the wording on the labels of mold killing products are misleading. Consumers may have seen the same thing on food label products or cosmetic products. The chemicals render the mold colorless so they aren’t visible but keep coming back! Some consumers will continue to purchase the product thinking that they just need to apply more. If you are out to kill the mold we only recommend this for small cleanup projects like window sills and the best product to use is vinegar.
Indoor molds cause two key problems.
1. They destroy the material that they feed on, including bathroom walls, carpets, insulation, ceilings and any other cellulosic materials in the built environment.
2. Exposure to high concentrations of certain types of mold creates health problems for some individuals. For this reason, materials that are infected with mold need to be removed. In fact, mold is like a cancer, unless it is dealt with and removed, it will continue to grow. The only way to deal with mold is to eradicate it and fix the source.
Getting rid of mold by applying bleach or chemicals is NOT the answer to the problem because dead mold spores are just as harmful to the human lung as live spores. You may have read or heard about the myth of the“Mummy’s Curse” in which all of the Archaeologists that discovered King Tutankhamen’s Tomb eventually died. They, in fact, died from dead aspergillus mold spores that laid dormant for centuries!
In addition, mold spores like Aspergillus and Stachybotrys (black mold) are toxic in both a live form and a dead form. The key to proper mold removal is to remove as many of the mold spores as possible and completely eliminate the types of spores that aren’t typically found outside.
Some mold is toxic and can cause many health issues. In fact, some mold produces mycotoxins that are pathogenic to animals and humans. In 2011 we posted an article on the uses of mold as a biological weapon to illustrate just how toxic mold is.
So ask yourself this… is it really worth putting the risk of your families health into an $8.99 bottle of water/bleach that will not guarantee that it will eradicate the problem? Contact a professional today!
For peace of mind we are always just a phone call away! 1-888-909-6653