How do I know if I have a mold problem?
Here are few of the warning signs of a potential mold problem:
- A persistent and strong musty odour (although some dangerous molds have no smell at all. The persistent strong musty odour will sometimes change with moisture and temperature);
- The visible appearance of mold – slightly furry, discoloured, or slimy patches that increase in size;
- And excessive or persistent moisture or water damage.
While searching for mold it may also be necessary to look behind and underneath surfaces, such as carpets, wallpaper, cabinets, and walls, to determine the full extent of the problem.
How do I know if mold is affecting my family or employees’ health?
There are many potential health conditions that can be caused by indoor mold exposure. But there are no definitive numbers about how much mold is too much, as for some people just a few spores can trigger an asthma attack or other reaction. This means that any amount of mold in your home or business is undesirable. If you see or smell mold you should simply get it cleaned up and eliminate the source of any possible problem.
Are there tests I can do on my own?
The simplest tests are just to use your eyes and your nose to identify a potential mold problem. Anyone can do this kind of basic assessment. There are some consumer mold testing kits available on the marketplace, but these may not provide the most effective or safest method for determining the source of a mold problem. If your initial visual inspection does not answer your concerns or identify the problem, then it may be best to hire a professional to give you a definitive answer.
Why should I use professionals to test for mold and indoor air quality?
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the American Industrial Hygiene Association do not recommend testing the air for molds in single-family dwellings and similar buildings as a first step. The recommended first step is having a trained investigator check your house for mold. Choosing to get a professional mold remediation company to test indoor air quality will allow you to:
- Provide a clean bill of health on a building with results from a trusted laboratory;
- Locate a hidden problem and provide a remedy;
- Have peace of mind.
Whether you suspect you have a mold problem or are doing due diligence for insurance work, a real estate purchase, or preparing to do renovations, a mold inspection and testing can be a vital part of the process.
If I have mold, what do I do to get rid of it?
All mold removal processes include two basic steps:
- Clean the moldy surface with water and dish detergent. There’s no need to use bleach. You must make sure to completely dry the area after cleaning with water and dish detergent.
- Fix the underlying cause, whether due to water damage or excessive humidity.
You can clean the mold by yourself if the contaminated surface is small, but you should take precautions to protect your health if the affected area is large. In such a case, consider hiring a professional to clean it up.
Why is professional mold remediation so expensive?
It can be costly, but with mold remediation and removal you get what you pay for, and what you are paying for with got mold? is a safe and professional job done well. Some of the reasons for our costs are:
- Well trained and experienced workers.
- An expensive certification and training process.
- The latest state-of-the-art equipment and technologies.
- Employees are working in a high risk environment. Also Personal protective equipment (PPE) brings up the cost.
- No short cuts are taken to save a few bucks; we use the best of everything to do the best job we can.