Mold in the News: Issue 55

Mold in the News: Issue 55
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
After a flood, act fast to prevent a mold outbreak: Isaac in all its guises—hurricane, tropical storm, tropical depression—dropped a lot of rain on residents of the Gulf Coast leaving behind a soggy mess. The next threat for affected homeowners is mold, which can ruin home furnishings and pose problems for residents with allergies, asthma, and compromised immune systems. To keep it in check, homeowners should attack the problem within 24 to 48 hours.
Allergists see more patients due to mold: All this rain not only provides a breeding ground for mosquitoes, but for mold, too. Allergists are treating more patients in recent days. Tropical storm Isaac boosted pollen levels, too. Mold and pollen are both two big allergy triggers. “With all the rain we are going to see an increase in our mold population, indoor and outdoor as well, mostly outdoor, so patients, although you don’t see the mold spores in the air, they are breathing them in and they can have allergic rhinitis symptoms, or even worsening of their asthma,” said Erin Cannington, Allergist.
Grass mold triggers allergies: As if the drought hasn’t posed enough of a problem. Now, people with allergies or asthma are reporting breathing problems because of a mold, alternaria, that grows on the blades of grass that has gone dormant. If you stopped watering your lawn weeks ago but still let the kids play in the yard, you might have noticed that the bottoms of their shoes or their feet are covered with a black substance that doesn’t simply wipe off. Those are mold spores, and they tend to be greasy and harder to remove than dirt, said Kathleen Cue, a horticulturist with University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Douglas and Sarpy Counties. The mold grows well on dried-out grass or plants that have been dampened by such sources as morning dew or light rain, Cue said.
Mold Problem At Berkeley Township Elementary School Taken Care Of, School Board President Says: A minor mold problem found at the Berkeley Township Elementary School has been remediated and the school will open on Sept. 6, Berkeley Board of Education President Steven Pellecchia said today. “The mold situation was practically non-existent,” Pellecchia said. “It was so miniscule it was taken care of. As of now there is no mold at all.” Parents with any concerns may attend a meeting at the school at 7 p.m. on Tuesday for an update, he said.
Mold found at elementary school in Greenville: An area of mold has been discovered in the Heritage Elementary media center and science lab, according to the Greenville County Schools district.
School opening delayed a week due to mold in Westampton school: Students will have an extra week of summer vacation as the school district turns its attention to a mold problem at Holly Hills Elementary School. Both Holly Hills and the Westampton Middle School were scheduled to open this week, but officials are pushing the first day back to Sept. 11 as the mold is abated.
Mold cleaned at Chesapeake, Norfolk schools: Mold found at a Chesapeake and a Norfolk school has been cleaned up, officials say. The problem at Great Bridge Primary occurred in a number of exterior rooms with AC window units. “This mold has been eliminated and all rooms cleaned by a contracted environmental expert,” Schools spokesman Tom Cupitt said. He added that the school on Cedar Road should open on time.
Mold removal at Roosevelt Elementary School: School officials expect work to eliminate mold found last week in the elementary school to be complete in time for the start of classes Sept. 6. The cost of the work at Roosevelt Elementary School on School Lane will be about $100,000, said interim Superintendent Stephanie Bilenker. “We will ensure the safety of the students and teachers,” Bilenker said. There are 94 students and 20 teachers at the pre-kindergarten-through-sixth-grade school.
Mold Problem at Savannah Gardens: Kyndra Gadson’s priority list is long. She’s expecting her second child to be born this weekend. Right now her happiness is overshadowed by mold. The foamy stuff is growing on her furniture, carpet, and the walls. “My major concern is me getting sick from being in here and you know people die from things like this.” Kyndra says she never imagined she would be exposed to mold in her apartment. “If I’m outside or to my mother’s house or somewhere else I feel fine, but soon as I come in here I feel like nauseated or I have headaches.”
Couple sees mold growing in their apartment: A southwest Atlanta couple showed CBS Atlanta News mold and mildew growing in their apartment, but said leasing managers have failed to help them. Deneisha Alexander lives at Lakewood Forest Apartments on Old Hapeville Road with her partner, Martae Brooks, and two young children. She said a water leak in a unit above her sent water gushing through her ceilings on Tuesday. “When I woke up, I noticed that I was stepping in basically a puddle of water in the carpet,” said Alexander.
Easton’s high foreclosure rates put pressure on codes department: After neighbors complained of smells and vermin, the Easton codes department got involved. They found mold in the basement at 1132 Lehigh St. and rancid food in the cabinets and refrigerator. The smells and mold started to get so bad, one neighbor poured bleach on the adjoining wall.
MISC. (1)
Got any tips on mold prevention when it comes to food?: Nothing makes you lose your appetite faster than opening that container of cream cheese that’s been sitting in the back of your fridge for a month only to find a big, fuzzy, green mound of mold resting on top of it. It’s safe to say that preventing mold growth on your food is important for maintaining your health. And not just because of the gross-out factor. Molds that grow on food are fungi that grow when the food has been sitting around for too long. And inhaling or ingesting mold can cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems in people with mold allergies. What’s worse — mold can also contain mycotoxins, poisonous substances that can make you very sick.