Mold in the News: Issue 62

Mold in the News: Issue 62
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
One county employee is dying as mold-related illness case heads to trial: Beverly Forest’s lawyer wasn’t sure Forest would be able to endure the hours of questioning. 
In a June 6 email, plaintiffs’ attorney Gordon Stemple warned defending attorneys that Forest would be arriving for a deposition in a wheelchair, with an oxygen tank and a nurse attendant, and would require frequent bathroom breaks. 
Beverly Forest is suffering from a compromised immune system and other complications from radiation for cancer. She’s been in and out of hospitals for six months, weighs 100 pounds and is dying. Her lawyers worry she won’t survive long enough to see the conclusion of a two-year-old lawsuit that claims a moldy office environment at the District Attorney’s office exacerbated her condition. 
Forest is one of nine plaintiffs who worked in the Monterey County District Attorney’s Fraud Investigation Unit, a group that was assigned to a boxy stucco building on West Gabilan Street known as “the Annex.” 
“The only thing my clients have in common is going into this building and coming out sick,” says Monterey-based attorney David Churchill, also representing the plaintiffs.
What Burger Will Grow Mold First: McDonald’s, In-n-Out, or TK Burgers? An Experiment: Many of us have heard this rumor: that if you leave a McDonald’s hamburger out, indefinitely, it will never go moldy. Plausible enough, right? The average McDonald’s meal is filled with more mystery than the average show on Coast to Coast AM, right? Its nutritional value is so dismal we’d be better off eating cardboard, right? So, it would make sense that something so fake, so artificial, and so full of preservatives would not be able to house mold. So, we at the Weekly, being as eager to jump on the McDonald’s-hating bandwagon as everyone else decided to put this rumor to the test. Being the mature and reputable media organization that we are, it seemed that our results would somehow be more accurate. We would join the ranks of amateur experimenters like the staff at Refinery29 and good ol’ Morgan Spurlock in our quest for more trash talk on fast food. Except, we decided to take things a step further. We decided to test McDonald’s moldabilty against our local favorites–In-N-Out and TK Burger. Surely, these meals made from “real” ingredients would spore before our eyes. The results follow, and promise to be surprising, shocking, disgusting, and childhood-destroying, but most importantly, informative.
Several Areas of Middle School Cleared as Mold Cleanup Continues: Restoration efforts at Manchester Township Middle School continue as specialists are clearing areas of the mold-stricken building and preparing for reconstruction. Three-quarters of the school’s second floor have been tested by the restoration company and have been cleared, Superintendent of Schools David Trethaway said in a statement on the district’s website. “Although there was very little removal work to be done on the second floor, it still needed to be thoroughly cleaned and now that is almost all completed,” Trethaway said.
Parents React To School Shutdown Because of Mold: Getting ready to a make a big adjustment, students who attend Prescott Elementary in Scranton will be moved to another building because of mold and now parents have to deal with the big change. It’s a familiar sight that won’t be seen for much longer: buses dropping off students at Prescott Elementary in Scranton, parents taking their children to class. The Scranton School Board voted Monday night to close the school while mold is removed from the building. Newswatch 16 spoke with Fran Ponko as she brought her grandson Cooper to school. The kindergarten student has asthma. “When we found out, we freaked out a little bit, but hopefully, they’ll do something to rectify it,” said Ponko. The school board plans to close Prescott for a clean up at the end of the month. Students will attend class at the former Nativity School on Hemlock Street in southside.
SSD official signed invoice for March mold report at Prescott Elementary: A March voucher for a report that recommended the removal of ceiling tiles with possible mold at William Prescott Elementary School was signed by the district’s director of facilities and grounds. The voucher for payment of $1,595.50 was created on March 9 by someone in the facilities and grounds department. The voucher is clearly marked “Indoor air quality testing. Prescott Elem.” It was signed by the department’s director, Jeff Brazil, who said Monday he mistook the document as relating to the now-closed Audubon Elementary.
Shelby County school board takes action on Montevallo mold: Shelby County Board of Education members during a special meeting this afternoon took the unanimous step to begin remediation and implement a long-term solution to Montevallo Elementary School’s mold problems. With no comment or discussion about the matter during the combined meeting and retreat at the Alabama 4-H Center, the board officially declared an emergency at the school related to the mold issue. The action formally provided the district’s maintenance and construction department with authority to develop plans to address the issue.
Central Parents Say Students Getting Sick From Mold: Two Central High School parents and PTA members told Supt. Rick Smith on Wednesday that students are getting sick from mold caused by recent severe leaks at the Highway 58 school. One parent said her daughter and other students are getting headaches and are short of breath. She said her daughter got better over the weekend, then was sick again after attending school Monday. She said, “When the doors open it knocks your breath away. The students can’t concentrate. They’re all coughing and have sore throats.”
Riverside High parent files complaint about black mold: A Riverside High School parent filed a complaint with the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department last week, claiming that black mold growing in the building is causing students respiratory problems. A roof leak near the building’s blue stairwell has damaged ceiling tiles, and mold is visible, according to a health evaluation report. Health officials consider the conditions a violation of indoor air regulations.
Mold outbreak at Brazos River Authority could cost $3 million: A mold outbreak is forcing the Brazos River Authority to relocate 89 employees from its Waco headquarters and to spend up to $3 million to abate the problem. The authority will close its facility at 4600 Cobbs Drive for two weeks starting Saturday, but the remediation is expected to continue until January. Mold, including hazardous black mold, has been discovered inside the walls of the 11-year-old facility, which has a history of leaks and poor ventilation. Black mold has not been detected in the air inside, but high levels of other molds have caused allergic reactions among employees, authority officials said.
Tenants Complain Overgrown Mold is Making Them Sick: A group of families in Pulaski County claim overgrown toxic mold is making them and their children sick. Families from the homes at Granite Mountain apartment complex say they’ve reported mold spores growing in multiple apartments and that they’re sick of suffering in silence. Wednesday afternoon, the apartment manager pleaded guilty in environmental court on five counts of failing to meet sanitation requirements.
Point of Honor’s Carriage House mold free and ready for festival: The historic Point of Honor house in Lynchburg has the all clear after a small mold outbreak occurred in its Carriage House three weeks ago. While the main house was never affected, the entire site can now be open for the attraction’s big fall festival, Day at the Point, on Saturday.
Rats and mold at Guantanamo prompt request to postpone hearing in Sept. 11 case: Concerns about mold and rats at the U.S. base in Guantanamo in Cuba could prompt another delay in the Sept. 11 case. Defense lawyers have long complained their offices are filled with moldy, dusty air and infested with rats. Several have gotten sick.