Mold in the News: Issue 66

Mold in the News: Issue 66
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 9 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
Toxic Black Mold Overtakes Soldier’s Home: After 14 months serving in Afghanistan, SFC Brian Dinehart returned on Friday, October 19 with the 126th Cavalry out of Wyoming; but he did so with a heavy heart. He was extremely happy to see his wife Kim and five children, ages 3 to 14, but knew the home he left behind had been deemed unlivable due to toxic black mold. “Being deployed and then having the wife call and tell ya that you lost your house, it’s pretty stressful to try and help her deal with it over there.” Dinehart said. Prior to Brian leaving for Afghanistan in September, a storm hit the Dinehart’s Portage home on July 11. The insurance company accepted a claim to for water damage in the basement, Kim said, but did not have it professionally dried and cleaned. “We found it in April, we were all extremely sick. There was over 100 doctor’s visits and ER visits in the meantime.” Kim added. The sickness was so bad, the doctors thought her one son had cancer, she stated.

Mold Species Confirmed in Unopened NECC Vials: Federal officials on October 18 announced that the black mold Exserohilum rostratum was detected in sealed vials of methylprednisolone acetate produced in August by the New England Compounding Center (NECC). The mold was found in vials from lot 08102012@51, which contains 80 mg of methylprednisolone acetate per milliliter of preservative-free solution and was recalled, along with two other lots of the drug, on September 26. Testing is in progress on the two other lots, according to FDA.
Runny nose? Sneezing all the time? Don’t assume it’s a cold – you may be allergic to autumn: Your nose is blocked, your eyes are runny and your head feels stuffy. At this time of year, it’s natural to assume you’ve come down with a cold — but could it really be signs of an autumn allergy? ‘Many people assume hay fever and allergies happen only in springtime,’ says Dr Matthew Buckland, a consultant immunologist at the Royal London Hospital. ‘But there are many triggers, such as mould spores from rotting leaves or a dramatic rise in house dust mites, that bring specific autumn allergies.’ And it’s not just your airways that can suffer from autumn allergies — so, too, can your skin, triggering itchiness. Here, with the help of experts, we reveal how to work out if your sneezes are a sign of an allergy, what could be triggering them — and how to tackle them.
Family’s mould nightmare: ‘I’m scared I will wake up and he won’t be breathing’: Mouldy walls and damp ceilings have left a ten-month-old baby with severe breathing troubles, his mum has claimed. Chelsie Lankston, of Thirsk Road, Borehamwood, said Terry is plagued with constant respiratory tract infections and has just been diagnosed with asthma. The 24-year-old, who first spotted the mould in her house when she moved in four years ago, said the doctors “cannot rule out” the possibility that bad living conditions are to blame.
No active mold reported, students to stay at Prescott Elementary: After receiving the latest air quality tests, the Scranton School Board unanimously voted at a special meeting to keep students at William Prescott Elementary School, although it could mean longer days and a shorter school year for students. The board made the announcement after tests revealed no indication of active mold growth or airborne microbial concerns. Parents clapped as the board announced students would not be moved to the former Nativity Elementary. Various tests performed on rooms in the elementary school Oct. 8 indicated safe mold counts, which school board members attribute to the spot remediation and intensive cleaning the rooms had undergone.
Mold removal in Hume School activity room begins this week: The mold beneath the activity room at Hume Elementary School found earlier this year is set to be removed starting this week. The remediation job went out to tender earlier this month and one company had applied by the deadline, Thursday, Oct. 18 said Larry Brown, School District 8 director of operations. The job should be completed by December 14 said Brown. Mold remediation involves pulling the floor up, removing some walls and cleaning the moldy area with a special sand-blasting technique that uses dry ice followed by disinfectant.
Simcoe Article: Mould shuts down part of fire hall: A mishap at the Lefroy Fire Hall helped uncover some black mould that has shut down part of the station. Black mould was discovered on the ceiling of the garage that stores the fire trucks and other equipment, Chief Randy Smith said.
Church closed after mould, asbestos found: The congregation of First United Church on Whitney Avenue in Sydney has voted to close the church after mould contamination and asbestos were found in one of the building’s rooms.
Mold remediation being done at Mount Holly Municipal Building: The last five years have not been good at the municipal building on Washington Street. The first floor experienced major flooding in 2007 and last August during Tropical Storm Irene. Irene’s damages have cost the township about $600,000. Now, mold has been discovered in ductwork on the second and third floors. The Township Council on Monday declared a special emergency so the building can remain open as remediation is done. Budget money will need to be transferred to cover the costs.