Mold in the News: Issue 78
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 10 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (2)
A fresh christmas tree for two weeks had mold levels that were five times the normal level: Are allergens in your home for the holidays? Tis’ the season for may holiday allergens that can trigger or irritate allergies, from your Christmas tree, holiday scents, from food and pets, to wood-burning fires and seasonal greenery. While you may manage allergy symptoms pretty well most of the year, symptoms to indoor allergens like these can really spike during the holiday season. Where are these allergens coming from? Here’s a short list.
Energy Adviser: Steps can keep mold from taking hold in the home: Mold loves paper and wood, so it’s little wonder that people with sensitive noses start sneezing when they put up their fresh-cut Christmas trees. If mold gives you the sniffles, you’re probably looking forward to taking down the tree after the holiday. For some households, however, mold can become a more perennial problem. One-third of Northwest homes have visible mold inside, according to research by George Tsongas, a consulting engineer and professor emeritus at Portland State University.
MOLD and HEALTH (3)
Post-storm Health Impact Forum Centers on Asbestos, Mold: Six professionals from various government agencies addressed a crowd of storm victims in Wall Township, New Jersey yesterday, intent on getting the word out about the dangers left behind in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, which devastated much of coastal New Jersey in late October. According to an article in the Star-Ledger, Monday’s panel discussion focused mostly on do-it-yourselfers who are taking it upon themselves to clean up what’s left of their homes as well as volunteers who are still arriving to assist with the clean up. Asbestos, mold, and lead paint are major concerns, said the experts, especially when those doing the clean-up work aren’t professionals and don’t know how to take the proper precautions to avoid issues such as the inhalation of asbestos fibers, which can cause mesothelioma and other cancers.
Hurricane Sandy’s sad legacy in Far Rockaway: destruction remains and toxic mold is spreading: Christmas, the most joyous of times, is around the corner. But thousands of Far Rockaway residents will have little to celebrate. Seven weeks after Hurricane Sandy ravaged New York, 11,000 of them still lack heat, hot water, electricity and effective public assistance. Nothing has changed for Far Rockaway residents Jorge Gonzalo, 66, an Army veteran, and his mother, Pura Gonzalo, 89, one week after we first told their story: they are still enduring darkness, cold weather and official indifference. Their main concern is not that they have to light candles at night or turn on the stove to fight the cold, but that their basement has become infested with mold. “I am worried we are coughing,” Pura said. “Jorge tried to clean as much as he could with Clorox, but the mold is now all over the house. He is not in good health and I am afraid he will get worse.”
Seniors with Mold-Plagued Homes Confused by City’s Conflicting Messages: Seniors with mold in their homes after Hurricane Sandy’s flooding say the city has led them through confusing hoops in attempts to get aid. Lily Rodriguez, 65, whose dwelling on Eagle Street was flooded by Newtown Creek during the hurricane, asked FEMA and other officials Monday night at a Sandy recovery information session for residents affected by the storm to help her find a way to eliminate the mold in her ground-floor apartment. “We can’t afford to clean it up … I went to my insurance, but they won’t pay for it,” Rodriguez told officials. “My husband is 80 years old and has cancer, so we have to spend our money on that.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
Black mould making kids sick at Nelson school, parents say: Parents at Hume Elementary School in Nelson, B.C., say their children have been getting sick from black mould in the building. The Kootenay Lake School District admits mould was found in a crawlspace below the lunch room, in the school’s old gym, and it will be removed. But parents say the mould is triggering health problems in their children. Iris Steffler rushed her 8-year-old son Che to the hospital emergency room on November 19 when he struggled to breathe in the middle of the night.
Montevallo Elementary gets new principal as mold, asbestos concerns persist: The Shelby County Board of Education tonight approved the hiring of Allison Campbell as the new principal of Montevallo Elementary School, which closed under an emergency action last week to correct mold and asbestos issues. “I appreciate your vote of confidence and I am extremely excited” about the opportunity, Campbell said after the board’s unanimous vote during its meeting at the district offices in Columbiana. She said she is looking forward to building partnerships with parents, city leaders and others in the community. “I look forward to making Montevallo Elementary the best it can be,” she said.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (1)
Mold mitigation to begin Monday at county EOC: The mold that was first discovered in Jackson County’s Emergency Management Center shortly after it was built in 2010 will soon be removed. Beginning Monday, a mitigation crew will start replacing ceiling tiles and insulation, and doing whatever else is necessary to get rid of the damage.
PAPYRUS Signature Collection Ornaments Recalled Due to Risk of Exposure to Mold: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Microbiological media helps detect mould spoilage: Building up to this year’s festive season, the Food Standards Agency in the UK has reported the recall of a number of Christmas cakes due to mould spoilage. Lab M highlights this as a festive reminder of the nuisance value and economic issues associated with such organisms.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) December 21, 2012