Mold in the News: Issue 82
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 9 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Fisher-Price warns of mold on infant recliners: Fisher-Price Inc. has told buyers of 800,000 infant recliner seats to stop using the seats immediately if mold is found growing on them, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Tuesday. Fisher-Price, a unit of Mattel Inc., received 600 reports of mold on its Rock ‘N Play Infant Sleepers. Sixteen consumers reported infants were treated for respiratory issues, coughs and hives after sleeping in the product.
Schumer Pushing For Mold Removal Funding For Sandy-Affected Homeowners: Many flood-damaged homes have become infested with toxic mold in the months since Superstorm Sandy hit. Some of the houses have been rendered unlivable due to the mold and Sen. Charles Schumer said the federal government does not do enough to help those displaced homeowners. In Seaford on Long Island, Larry Elliot’s home of 30 years was condemned due to toxic mold.
Owner of new Jacksonville home: “I have mold and puddles on my windows”: Dense condensation on the windows and mold growing on the walls. Those are just two issues that a Jacksonville woman said are wrong with her brand new home. She called the On Your Side team for help. “This was a place to retire and enjoy. I’m not enjoying it,” Denise Criscitiello said. It is a home at the Sweetwater subdivision that Criscitiello moved into in November 2011 from New York. She expected happiness.
MOLD and HEALTH (3)
Charlton dad’s three year wait for Greenwich Council action on mould and damp: A DAD-OF-FOUR has been waiting three years for Greenwich Council to sort out damp and mould which is spreading “like a cancer” through his house. News Shopper highlighted Scott Moreland’s problem all the way back in February 2011 but, despite council assurances, the damp is still there and, he claims, is making his young daughters unwell. Mr Moreland, 29, of Wolfe Crescent, Charlton, said: “After the News Shopper article they filled a hole in the wall but did nothing to sort the problem out.
3 On Your Side: Duplex cited for mold, landlord makes repairs: Four and one-half weeks ago, Jessica Williamson, her pre-school daughter Kandice, and her neighbor, Angi Davis, walked 3 On Your Side through the duplex they rent in East Ridge, claiming their landlord’s neglect stretched beyond disrepair. “I guess just breathing it in, it was so strong,” Jessica says. “If you stay too long, you’ll be leaving with a cough. You’ll be sick, it’ll be hard for you to breathe.” Two days after 3 On Your Side’s first report aired, East Ridge’s Division of Codes Enforcement confirmed that an inspection had turned up several violations.
Hurricane-Battered Far Rockaway Residents Still Struggling with Mold, Other Problems: While the immediate impact of Hurricane Sandy may have receded for them, the residents of Far Rockaway continue to struggle with the unpleasant and health-endangering problem of mold in their homes. And many of them feel that New York City has not done enough to address the issue.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (1)
Report recommends ongoing monthly mold testing inside Montevallo Elementary: Montevallo Elementary School’s air quality test report that preceded the building reopening to children last week showed higher concentrations of mold inside many parts of the building compared to outdoor samples. Although the levels themselves did not signify immediate health concerns, the document dated Dec. 31 warned about higher indoor concentrations compared to exterior samples and the importance of comparing the two environments. “Higher airborne mold concentrations within the building may indicate that conditions within the building are promoting mold growth,” according to the report.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (1)
Mold found in Admin. No. 2 building: Employees of the tribe’s Administration Building No. 2 on Wednesday received a New Year’s surprise: The building will close Friday at 5 p.m.
The closure was ordered after DC Restoration of Mesa, Ariz., which is completing the remediation of Administration Building No. 1, inspected Building No. 2 and tests showed mold was present, said Arbin Mitchell, President Ben Shelly’s chief of staff. Building No. 2 houses the Division of Community Development, the Division of Health and the Division of Social Services.
Texas company: Microwave keeps bread mold at bay: MicroZap Inc. claims its technology allows bread to stay mold-free for 60 days. The bread is bombarded with microwaves for about 10 seconds, which kills the mold spores, said chief executive officer Don Stull said. Mold is a type of fungus that forms because bread wrapped in plastic packaging still has water inside it. When that trapped water begins to evaporate inside the bag, the bread’s surface becomes moist, creating the ideal environment for mold.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) January 14, 2013