Mold in the News: Issue 87
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 10 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Mold Compounds Sandy’s Destruction: The Rockaways, a Queens, N.Y. neighborhood, is still recovering from Sandy. Debris from fires lingers on the streets, and buildings torn apart by the storm are crumbling on the beach. But at least for those with restored heat and power (7,000 customers in the area are still without power), there is yet another worry: mold.
Mold is a growing problem for Sandy survivors: “In 10 years, they’re going to tell me I have cancer because I had to breathe in their mold when it gets warm?” asked Pat Scala of New Dorp Beach who, like nearly everyone else on her block, is dealing with Sandy’s aftermath on a daily basis. Her latest concern is not with her own home. It’s the two abandoned houses next door. Beyond the dead animals, Scala says, both homes have mold growing on the inside and outside. “That’s the first thing they tell you, don’t go near it. Don’t touch it, wear masks, gloves, suits. And then what? I open my window and then breathe it in from my neighbor? It’s not fair,” said Scala.
‘Got Mold? Cold? FEMA?’ Hurricane Sandy Nightmare Continues in Rockaway: “FEMA has completed a review of your request for assistance with other expenses. At this time, we are unable to assist you because your losses are less than the allowable minimum grant amount.” An enraged Rockaway resident received this note with a $3,700 check for rental assistance, rejected because she didn’t ask for enough! This would be laughable as a scene in Brazil if it weren’t so tragic. If the mold and cold don’t kill these people, the bureaucracy will. “Are you effing kidding me… I lost darn near everything I own and that is less than the allowable minimum? I haven’t been this cockblocked since high school! And don’t get me started spewing my hate on the Red Cross. I’d need a year long karma wash to even out the hate I have for them.”
MOLD and HEALTH (1)
Hospira recalls one lot of electrolyte solution after mold found: Hospira Inc is recalling one lot of an intravenous electrolyte solution after the discovery of the presence of a substance that was consistent with mold, U.S. health regulators said on Monday. The Food and Drug Administration said the affected lot of the product, known as Lactated Ringer’s and 5% Dextrose Injection, was distributed nationwide between June 2011 and January 2012 to wholesalers, hospitals and pharmacies.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (4)
Sask. health centre temporarily closed due to mould, structural issues: A health-care centre in eastern Saskatchewan has been closed due to structural issues and mould. Staff at the Invermay Health Centre first noticed the problem earlier this month.
Cape Breton tenants complain of mould: Two men living in a small Sydney rental home say the property manager refuses to deal with a mould problem that is making them ill. But the property manager said that’s not the whole story. The men say it was spotless when they moved in but soon they began to see mould everywhere. “There’s no fan in the bathroom. There’s no fan over the stove, no hood for over the stove,” said MacIntosh Reynolds.
Mum and baby move out over mould fears: A NEW father has been forced to live apart from his girlfriend and six-week-old son after suffering months of problems in their home in South Tyneside. Ojay Parks, 18, says he was advised to keep baby Rylan out of the damp and mould at the flat in Dock Street, Tyne Dock, South Shields, by the family’s health visitor. Mr Parks, who is also worried the mould will affect his own asthma, is now home alone after his partner, Toni Duke, also 18, and their son temporarily moved in with her mother.
Residents claim Orange Co. apartments ridden with roaches, mold: Residents at an Orange County apartment complex told WFTV that they’re being forced to live with roaches, mold and unsafe conditions. The accusations at the Washington Shore Village Apartments came after the city gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to the owners to fix up another one of their properties. On Monday, residents went to city commissioners asking for help. “This is possibly the worst condition apartment complex in Orlando,” said Josh Paladino of the Orange Renters Community Association. “We have bugs and roaches, mold.”
Mould and mildew on fabrics: Mould and mildew on curtains and upholstery is unsightly, unhealthy, gives off a musty smell and has the potential to stain or eat into fabric. It’s a greedy little fungus that likes to feed on the dust or dirt on your fabrics, or even on the fabrics itself. Organic fibres are gourmet fare for mildew. This includes animal (protein) fibres such as wool or silk, or plant (cellulose) fibres like cotton, linen or rayon – although man-made fibres are not immune either; all it takes is some dust to gather in the folds of your curtains or creases in your couch, and mildew quickly moves in. Areas near the kitchen are particularly at risk – cooking grease released into the air settles on your soft furnishings, attracting damp and dust, and providing mildew with a tasty snack.
Mold Remediation, Rebuilding Meeting Brings in Big Crowd: Babylon Helps held a discussion panel on reducing and eliminating mold and the rebuilding process for families affected by Hurricane Sandy in Babylon Village last Tuesday evening. The discussion panel, which featured members of National Gird, the Town of Babylon and local contractors, brought in a crowd of nearly 100 people to Rowe Hall at Babylon Junior-Senior High School. Residents in attendance were allowed to direct questions to the panel, many of which have been helping in the rebuilding process along the south shore of Long Island following the October hurricane.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) January 30, 2013