Mold in the News: Issue 95

Mold in the News: Issue 95
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 13 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
Family faces mold problem for years: A condo in the Elm City tested positive for toxic airborne mold. That was two years ago and the family still does not have answers. “They have not done anything here,” said Staci Glazier. Glazier wears a mask every time she goes down to her basement. “There’s poisonous air-borne mold in my basement,” said Glazier.

Family faces mold problem for years

Saskatoon long-term care centre tackles problems with moisture, mould: Mould spawned by years of moisture problems has led to rooms being sealed off and residents relocated at a Saskatoon long-term care facility. The Saskatoon Health Region says it is tracking health concerns after mould showed up at the Parkridge Centre. Moisture has been a problem for the past five years at the west-side facility, which opened in 1987 and handles more than 200 physically challenged people. About 20 staff members have reported itchy eyes and irritated throats, while four residents have been examined by a respirologist to determine whether the mould is to blame for their health concerns.
Mold-How it Can Cost You: Your shower and commode are partitioned off your master bathroom and can be closed off when you are using that area. You notice some “dirt” or “soot” in the ceiling above the commode, but you are not concerned. You can wipe it off another day. Wrong. It is not dirt or soot; it is mold, and although it is only small, if you do not do something immediately, the mold will continue to spread and create a potentially serious health hazard to you and your family members. Mold forms in places that either are naturally humid, or where there has been a water problem caused by a leaking roof or pipe. Some mold may be hidden behind wallpaper, under carpets or in other areas not easily seen. If not remediated quickly, mold can spread and cause neurological symptoms such as headaches, trouble concentrating, short attention span, memory loss, dizziness, or it can cause or worsen allergies or allergic reactions causing skin irritation, rash, or pulmonary disease. It can even cause or aggravate life threatening chronic conditions, such as asthma, cancer or hypersensitivity pmenmontis (HP).
Keep out mold and mildew: It may start with a couple of small dark spots on the grout where the shower stall meets the tiled wall. A few days later, they multiply. Mildew. “For most people it’s just kind of an ugly pain. Their bathroom gets these black stains,” said Ken Collier, editor-in-chief of The Family Handyman. For others, though, “it’s an allergen, like cat hair, dog hair,” he said. If it’s not removed, it can result in respiratory problems or other allergy symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Got mold? Where there’s moisture, there’s a problem: Asheville resident Jasmine George knows firsthand that mold in your home means something’s wrong. When she returned from a four-day Thanksgiving visit with family a few years ago, the walls of her trailer were warped and covered in a slime-like mold. In another home more recently, she found bright green mold growing up the basement walls; it spread throughout the house and was the likely culprit for the respiratory problems that affected George and her boyfriend. “Damp buildings … increase the risk of people developing asthma, allergies, breathing difficulties and other respiratory problems,” says David Lipton, industrial hygiene consultant at the Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology branch of the North Carolina Division of Public Health.
Homeowners, businesses in U.S. warned of mould dangers in wake of Sandy: Warming temperatures are expected to shed light on what the president of H&H Environment Construction and Consulting Inc. calls one the most pernicious issues residents of homes damaged by Hurricane Sandy will face – mould infiltration. Warming temperatures will reveal the hidden effects and extent of New York and New Jersey’s post-Superstorm Sandy mould problem, the company reported in a statement last week. The reprieve offered by colder weather and lower humidity in wintertime is expected to end with the spring fast approaching, noted the company, which provides mould testing and removal services in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.
Mould being removed from Valleyfield school: A Valleyfield school is the latest in the Montreal area to come down with a mould infestation. The Gault Institute informed students and parents several weeks ago about the mould, and the growth is being cleaned up this week. However some parents believe the school is not being honest about the full extent of the problem.
Mold found at Harry S. Truman High School in Bristol Twp.: Mold spores “slightly above average levels” have been found in Harry S. Truman High School in Bristol Township. The building is safe, though, and students are not at risk, according to the Bucks County Health Department. A team of experts is working on the problem, a district spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday.
Landlord to act over residents’ home mould concerns: RESIDENTS whose homes are blighted by long-term mould have been told their landlord is to fit fans to circulate fresh air to try to solve the issue. Complaints have been raised by residents on Ash Grove and Beech Grove, in Spennymoor, about mould patches they cannot remove completely. Some residents have spoken to their landlord Home Group about the issue which affects several rooms in the houses.
Soundview woman claims mold and flooding have plagued her apartment for months: One Soundview mother of four says she’s been dealing with flooding and mold in her New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) apartment for months. Tameka Brown says flooding and mold have been a problem in her apartment at the Sonia Sotomayor Houses ever since she moved there in January of 2012. She says she’s gone through all of the proper channels to have the issue taken care of by maintenance workers, but the problem still exists.
Mould infestation investigated at Don Jail: The Ontario Ministry of Labour is investigating a mould infestation at Toronto’s Don Jail. Spokesman Matt Blajer confirmed to the Toronto Sun that the ministry is investigating a complaint it received on Feb. 18. One worker is refusing to report for duty as a result of the infestation, he said. “An external consultant conducted a mould assessment of the building,” Blajer said. “Their report said remediation was needed. The (worker) indicated the remediation had not been done.”
Rescue squad battles water, mold problems: Ridgeway Rescue Squad officers are considering ways to overcome mold and other water problems in one of its buildings. Darren Lockridge, president of the squad and the Martinsville-Henry County Rescue Squad Association, said the Environmental Hazards Services firm identified 13 types of mold spores in the basement of one of the squad’s buildings. The two-story building has offices, a living room, bunk rooms (bedrooms), communication facilities and restrooms on the top floor. The kitchen, meeting/training area, restrooms and some storage are downstairs.
Mold at new Paradis Library forces closure of activity room: The growth of mold at the new Paradis Library has forced the closure of the branch’s children’s activity room and head librarian Mary desBordes said her hands are currently tied when it comes to fixing the issue. desBordes said that late last year staffers discovered that excess moisture was entering the library and causing mold to grow. desBordes said she immediately contacted the contractor who built the library and had a number of tests performed that examined both air quality levels and the inside of the library’s walls.