Mold in the News: Issue 99
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 12 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Brooklyn Mold Removal Co. Releases Report on Downsides of Bleach and Mold: The statement that bleach kills mold is nothing more than an urban legend that has its origins from years of mold disappearing when sprayed with bleach. However, the fact is that just because it disappears, it does not mean that it is gone. There is no doubt that bleach is definitely a powerful oxidizing agent and capable of sanitizing a wide variety of surfaces, it is not a product that will eliminate cases of mold on the surfaces in your home. The active ingredient in bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which is extremely effective in ridding surfaces of the discoloration that is caused by mold. However, it will leave behind the micro flora that will allow the mold to return in the exact same place when the surface becomes moist or inviting for the mold.
Assembly Passes Mold Standards Bill: Getting rid of mold in flood-damaged homes is a big concern following Superstorm Sandy. The New Jersey Assembly has passed a measure to help ensure that the work is done properly. The legislation would set standards for exposure to mold in residential buildings. Assemblyman Dan Benson says it would also require mold remediation contractors to have training and register with the state.
Leading Biotoxin & Mold Illness Authority Creates Certification Process for Treatment Protocol: Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, recognized leader in the field of biotoxin and mold illness, announced his retirement from active practice in January. However he continues to remain dedicated to mold illness patients and research by implementing a certification program for doctors who wish to treat their own patients with the protocol. Referred to as the Shoemaker Protocol, it remains a leading treatment method for mold related illness, a debilitating and often misdiagnosed condition. According to Dr. Shoemaker, “This exam will allow docs to show their competence in the basic sciences and clinical management of illnesses associated with exposure to biotoxins.”
MOLD and HEALTH (2)
Linking Mold to Respiratory Problems: Molds are rather harmless little fungi, present in every single environment, all-year round. But when they find warm and humid conditions, they tend to turn into that matter-decomposing eye sore we all know and dread. Their aspect however is probably the least important characteristic we should worry about; molds can be the cause of many health issues, ranging from itchy eyes and a runny nose to serious respiratory infections. While most people are rarely affected by exposure to small amounts of mold—although identifying what ‘small’ means in this context is a rather difficult task—individuals who have existing health problems may show a higher degree of sensitivity; asthma sufferers are particularly at risk, as it has been proven that inhaling mold spores can trigger asthma attacks.
WSU News Center – Nursing students educate community about mold: Black mold blankets the bathroom ceiling of the only home 15-year-old Robert has ever known in rural Wellpinit, Wash. For years while he suffered from asthma, his family made no connection between it and the mold. Meanwhile, Washington State University nursing graduates Cody Nappen and Jihye Johnson were trying to decide what public health issue to address to complete their community health clinical in Wellpinit. Working with local health care partners, their community assessment led to an outreach campaign addressing health hazards associated with mold and providing tips and resources for its safe removal.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (2)
Blackhawk officials hope weekend work will eliminate mold problem: Blackhawk School District officials hope that work scheduled for this weekend will bring an end to Northwestern Primary School’s lingering air-quality dilemma. Leaks in the Darlington building’s steam-heating system in November caused moisture levels to rise in the gymnasium and its adjacent storage rooms, creating mold. Through remediation, the problem has been isolated to the storage areas, where elevated mold-spore levels have persisted. The storage rooms have been sealed off in the meantime.
Mold mingles among residents: While Spring Break kept most students out-of-town or at home with their families, a form of fungi vacationed at the University’s Quadrangle. During the break, the executive Director of Student Housing and Residential Life Don Yackley received a report about a room with discoloration in the bathroom that appeared to be mildew and mold. Upon notification, housing inspected all rooms in the Quadrangle area. “We had a few rooms in each building that had some mildew and mold growth. We contracted with a company to have these specific rooms professionally cleaned, painted when necessary and tested,” Yackley said. “Some residents had to be put in temporary rooms for a few days. All rooms have been taken care of, and all residents are back in their rooms. There are no outstanding issues.”
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (2)
Brooklyn woman who spoke out against NYCHA on Van Dyke Houses mold has been under attack: The Housing Authority often responds defensively to tenants who complain, but with Rosanna De La Cuadra, they went one step further. They went after her pooch. De La Cuadra, a mother of four who’s lived peacefully in Brooklyn’s Van Dyke Houses for a decade, says she’s suffered a wave of retribution after going public about NYCHA’s inability to fix her persistent mold problem. They moved to terminate her lease. They took out her air conditioning unit. Then they claimed her pit bull, Blue, didn’t have the proper paperwork to remain on NYCHA grounds.
Janet D. Greenwood Library Basement Infested with Mold: Last month, mold was found on several books in the storage basement of Janet D. Greenwood Library. At first, it was thought to be an isolated incident, but the mold turned out to be present on nearly 45,000 books. There was a blog post released last week that went into detail about the incident. The library basement will be quarantined until it is completely cleaned. Dean of the Library Suzy Palmer said, “If you have to work through a disaster, this is how to work through it.” Palmer and Amanda Hartman, head of Special Collections and Digital Initiatives, have taken the necessary precautions to control the situation.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (2)
Virgin Islands Court Reduces Office Worker’s Mold Award from $1.29 Million to $150,000: A federal judge has reduced a $1.29 million jury verdict to $150,000 after concluding that a reduced award was appropriate where an office worker claimed that mold exposure exacerbated an existing illness. Chief Judge Curtis V. Gomez of the U.S. District Court for the Virgin Islands granted an office landlord’s motion for remittitur, but denied his motion for judgment as a matter of law despite finding flaws in an environmental expert’s methodology and a lack of expert testimony to support specific causation.
Pa. Bill Would Limit HVAC Companies’ Mold Liability: A Pennsylvania legislator on Tuesday introduced a bill that would protect heating ventilation and air-conditioning contractors from lawsuits filed by property owners looking to recover damages for mold growth. Sen. Lisa Boscola, D-Lehigh/Monroe/Northampton, who sponsored Senate Bill 768, said an explosion in the number of mold-related lawsuits filed in recent years has left HVAC contractors exposed as targets of costly litigation despite little evidence tying heating and cooling systems to mold growth. The bill would shield HVAC contractors from any liability for mold growth.
Iams Recalls Some Shakeables Treats Due to Mold Issue: Iams, a brand of P&G Pet Care Co. of Mason, Ohio, has voluntarily recalled a limited number of Shakeables Soft & Chewy Treats for Dogs because of a potential mold problem. The recall, announced March 22, involves only the lamb and turkey flavors. Chicken-flavored treats are not part of the recall. The lots numbers, printed on the bottom of each can, are the first four digits shown on the second line.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) March 31, 2013