Are You Prepared For Flooding?
Water is probably the single most destructive force to a house. Left unchecked, it can lead to rot, dry rot, mold and termite infestations. Water can cause roofs to collapse, foundations to buckle and all manner of expensive repairs.
On April 8th, it was reported that Saskatchewan residents should begin preparing for a “one in 25 year flood event.” The primary cause: Saskatchewan has had record snowfall this year, and it is predicted that the spring run off will cause flooding.
To minimize flood damage, you need to be pro-active and begin preparing.
According to Environment Minister, Ken Cheveldayoff, everyone should begin preparing before the big melt begins:
People in their houses should try to get their snow away from their foundation as much as possible,” he said. “If they don’t have a sump pump, the suggestion is they put one in.
With the increased snow cover and late melt, I urge all people and communities to look at the forecast and prepare for flooding
It is clear that flooding will become an issue and Saskatchewan residents should prepare themselves. If recent reports out of Minnesota and Sandy affected areas on the Eastern Seaboard are any indication, Saskatchewan residents better be prepared for mold. Mold can cause health and structural issues, so it is important to understand that prevention and moisture control are essential.
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation website offers great advice on what to do after a flood.
One of the key points CMHC emphasises is the following:
“Immediate action is important. Your house and furnishings are less likely to grow mold if they are dried within 48 hours.“
Mold is one of the problems caused by flooding because water is one of the key ingredients mold needs to grow. Other key ingredients for mold growth are the right temperature of 5 degrees to 38 degrees and of course food, such as paper, wood, drywall, wallpaper, carpet, ceiling tiles, dust, and dirt.
Your goal as a home owner is to prevent the onset of mold. To accomplish this objective, here are some key steps CMHC and Got Mold? recommends:
Put your own safety first. Avoid electrical shock. Keep extension cords out of the water. Shut the power off to the flooded area at the breaker box. Ask your electrical utility for help if needed.
Record details of damage, with photos or video if possible.
Clean up the area. We recommend that you call a professional Disaster Recovery Service like Got Mold? because we have the protective gear and equipment to clean up the area properly. The key to preventing excessive mold growth is to remove all the water and begin drying out the area using air movers and dehumidifiers. Most importantly, all contaminated material must be either disinfected or removed permanently. If you begin the clean up process yourself, we strongly advise the use of rubber gloves, boots, protective clothing, and a respirator.
Call your insurance provider immediately. Keep in mind, as the home owner, you have the right to choose the Disaster Recovery Service company you want to work with. Got Mold? is here to help, one of the core services we offer is Flood Response & Restoration. In 2011, we published a 3 part series on what to do in case of a flood:
Here are some other useful links you should review:
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) April 9, 2013