Top 20 Mold and Asbestos Articles in April!
We broke our April traffic record, beating out last April with 72% more views. Compared to April, 2011, traffic this April was 110% higher. Our traffic and views consistently increase because of our diligent efforts to create awareness of issues surrounding both mold and asbestos. Awareness is our goal and we feel very lucky to have so many friends and followers sharing our content through social medial channels like FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. The list below represents the top viewed articles in the month of April. Thanks so much for your support. Enjoy!
1. What is Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome?: Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS), also known as Sick Building Syndrome (SBS), is a combination of illnesses or aliments that are in direct relation with an individual’s place of work or home environment.
2. How To Prevent Mold in Your Basement!: According to Mike Holmes, recognized as Canada’s most trusted contractor, the key to preventing basement mold is to ensure that your basement is properly insulated because it provides a thermal barrier. If the basement is not properly insulated, mold is inevitable. Holmes explains why:
3. Three Key Reasons You Should Consider Thermal Imaging: One method to identify potential causes of water leaks and moisture intrusion is to have a professional conduct a thermal imaging inspection. Thermal Imaging, also known as Infrared Thermagrophy, are visual displays of the amount of infrared energy emitted, transmitted, and reflected by an object. Thermal imaging involves the use of high tech cameras that create pictures of heat rather than light. When used in a situation where there is suspected water intrusion, these cameras help find areas that are not clearly visible to the naked eye.
4. Do You Know Where Your Water Main Valve Is Located?: If a pipe bursts OR you find a leak somewhere, you are going to want to be able to restrict water flow to the location in question.
5. Why Should I Be Concerned About Newly Formed Water Stains?: Newly formed water stains on your ceiling or wall are caused by moisture intrusion. The key concern is what is causing the moisture intrusion?
6. The Hidden Dangers of Mold Exposure Part 1: This 6 minute video documents what can happen if mold remediators do not do a proper job.
7. Rashes Caused By Mold: Mold is an allergen. One of the prevalent symptoms of mold exposure is skin rashes.
9. Mold Will Eat Almost Anything But a Happy Meal!: Mold will eat almost anything including wood, fabrics, plastics, concrete, and even metals. However, mold will not eat a McDonald’s Happy Meal.
10. Mold in the Bible: Interestingly, mold has been an issue for more than 3,000 years and is specifically cited in the Bible.
11. What Should I Do If My Home is Flooded?: Got Mold? has written extensively about what to do when your home is flooded. Generally speaking, you should take three key action steps.
12. Who Knew this Vitamin Could Prevent Mold Allergies?: If you are suffering from allergies caused by mold exposure, you may want to consider taking vitamin D supplements. Apparently, vitamin D is effective because it boosts your immune system.
13. Are You Prepared For Flooding?: Water is probably the single most destructive force to a house. Left unchecked, it can lead to rot, dry rot, mold and termite infestations. Water can cause roofs to collapse, foundations to buckle and all manner of expensive repairs.
14. Does Mold Cause Multiple Sclerosis?: MS is a disease in which the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord are damaged. This demyelination affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other.
15. Mandatory Saskatchewan Registry for Asbestos Passes: The province of Saskatchewan will become the first province in Canada to implement mandatory reporting of asbestos. Howard’s Law is named after Howard Willems, a building inspector who died from mesothelioma caused by breathing asbestos fibers. During the last part of his life, Willems and his family fought for Saskatchewan to have a mandatory registry. Prior to his death, Willems believed that his mesothelioma could have been prevented had he known of the existence of asbestos in the buildings he inspected.
16. Don’t Spray Mold!: There seems to be lots of mis-information on the Internet recommending that you spray chemicals on mold. This article explains why spraying mold will in fact make the situation worse.
17. Can You Get Mesothelioma from Attending School?: The two most troubling statistics include the following: 1. 75% of schools have asbestos! 2. For every school worker that dies of mesothelioma, nine former pupils die from asbestos exposure.
18. Really, How Toxic is Mold?: Mycotoxins are naturally occurring substances produced by mold and are pathogenic to animals and humans. An estimated more than 300 mycotoxins are produced by some 350 species of fungi. The T-2 mycotoxin, which is classified as a trichothecene mycotoxin, is elaborated from the fusariam, aspergillus, and stachybotrys (black mold) species of mold.
20. Mold and Miscarriage, Is There a Link?: There are countless stories of women being exposed to mold during pregnancy and suffering miscarriage or birth defects.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) May 7, 2013