Asbestos in the News: Issue 94

Asbestos in the News: Issue 94
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of asbestos related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 24 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of asbestos and asbestos related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet asbestos news frequently.
Asbestos registry proclaimed as law at Saskatchewan’s legislature: The Saskatchewan government has marked the death of a man who advocated for asbestos safety by officially enacting a new law making asbestos reporting mandatory.
Tearing out asbestos with bare hands: Meet the boss from hell: A group of immigrants allege their boss wielded their status as a weapon when they stood up to extreme abuses: from hanging from the top of a four-story building without scaffolding, to removing asbestos without gloves.
Montserrat school closed after asbestos discovery: Students at the Montserrat Secondary School (MSS) were due to resume classes at a different location on Wednesday after officials confirmed that asbestos had been found in the building.
Rasche Hall undergoing asbestos abatement: Rasche Hall is the first of two Upper Quad buildings being torn down to make room for new state-of-the-art housing facilities for the Corps of Cadets, but their next obstacle is alleviating the building of asbestos.
Asbestos risk as low-density fibre board (LDB) wrongly classified in Queensland Government guidelines: HOMEOWNERS have been exposed to dangerous crumbling asbestos through an error in guidelines supposed to make houses and businesses safe.
CDC Suggests Consulting with Infectious Disease Specialists for Treating Mesothelioma Patients with Infections: Treating mesothelioma, a rare, asbestos-caused cancer, is complex. The cancer is aggressive, and many patients opt to attack the disease just as aggressively, undergoing surgeries and other procedures that can successfully kill the cancer cells, but can also result in complications. One of the most common, and most devastating, complications that threatens a mesothelioma patient’s health is an infection. Now, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that patients with infections should be treated by an infectious disease (ID) expert.
Repeat HIPEC Improves Mesothelioma Survival: If one cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC procedure for mesothelioma is good, subsequent treatments may be even better. That is the central message of research conducted at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Florida. The study’s aim was to assess overall survival among peritoneal mesothelioma patients who had not just one, but two or more rounds of heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) after cytoreductive surgery.
Asbestos warnings not being taken seriously at workplaces: Workers at the construction site of Canterbury are not taking the warnings issued about asbestos very seriously.
Working with asbestos led to the deaths of two men: Working with asbestos led to the death of two Reading men, separate inquests heard. David Waterfield, 60, of Lock Place, Newtown, and Francis Elford, 74, of Northumberland Avenue, Whitley, both spent time during their working life in the building trade, their inquests at Reading Civic Centre heard.
Value of Mesothelioma Surgery Challenged for Healthy Patients: New research conducted in Italy and presented at the 15th World Conference on Lung Cancer in Sydney, Australia suggests that mesothelioma surgery – no matter what kind – may not offer a survival advantage over medical management for the healthiest of patients.
Asbestos Risk Facing Installers: More than 4,000 people die prematurely every year as a result of exposure to asbestos. Those installing services such as security and fire alarm systems are particularly at risk.
Asbestos removed from Winnebago County Jail: A crew removed asbestos from the Winnebago County jail last week. Workers were in the facility for four working days removing asbestos from floor tiles in the cell area and the basement.
Oxford’s St Giles Church closed after asbestos found: An Oxford church has been forced to close after asbestos was found under the floor during renovation work.
Court fines asbestos-removal company $15,000: WorkSafeBC has won the latest round in a bizarre and protracted dispute with a Lower Mainland asbestosremoval contractor. The B.C. Supreme Court has found Mike Singh, son Shawn Singh and Seattle Environmental Consulting Ltd. in contempt for ignoring a 2012 court order to stop exposing employees to asbestos, and has imposed a $15,000 fine.
Asbestos plaintiff sought production of company executives at trial: Madison County Associate Judge Tom Chapman on Nov. 6 settled a man’s 2012 asbestos lawsuit set to go to trial this week after the plaintiff filed a notice to compel more than 50 defendant companies to provide their CEOs and CFOs to testify at trial.
Eastbourne teacher’s widow wins payout for asbestos exposure: The widow of a teacher who died from an asbestos-related cancer has spoken of her relief after securing justice over his illness.
Suit alleges 12 companies responsible for man’s death from mesothelioma: Twelve companies face a lawsuit following a former oil refinery operator’s death from mesothelioma, recent court documents show.
Asbestos pay-out for Halesowen cancer dad: A STRICKEN Halesowen father has won a legal battle with his former employers from the 1960s after contracting terminal asbestos related cancer.
Los Angeles Court Upholds $22.7 Mesothelioma Verdict Against John Crane: Last week, Anne Pfeifer, prevailed on John Crane’s appeal of her $22.7M verdict against the company. Her husband, William, contracted mesothelioma and later died, and a Los Angeles County jury concluded that John Crane was the company most largely responsible.
NHS Scotland pays millions over asbestos in hospitals: Millions of pounds will be lost to the NHS in Scotland in the next few years to compensate people who have lost relatives because of asbestos in hospitals and clinics.
North Warwickshire Borough Council fined £10,000 after workers exposed to asbestos: North Warwickshire Borough Council has been fined £10,000 after workers were exposed to potentially-deadly asbestos fibres.
MISC. (3)
Asbestos found in gas masks: NEW Forest District Council is alerting people to the risk of handling Second World War gas masks following a warning from the Joint Union Asbestos Committee.
Increasing use of asbestos in Asia: According to the World Health Organization, about 100,000 workers die annually from asbestos-related diseases out of 125 million people who are exposed to asbestos in the workplace. What is of special concern to us is that based on a survey by the US Geological Survey, the use of asbestos is on the rise in the construction industry in Asia and the Middle East. With the ongoing construction boom in the Philippines, it is a vital concern for many of us, just how much asbestos is being installed in our buildings and homes.
Bowater mill cleanup plan plagued by asbestos: The Nova Scotia government is selling, scrapping and demolishing portions of the old Bowater paper mill outside Liverpool, but the process is running behind schedule after crews uncovered unexpected asbestos.

Posted in Asbestos, Asbestos and Health, Asbestos in Public Buildings, Asbestos in Schools, Asbestos in the News, Legal Issues and Asbestos | Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

About got mold?™

got mold?™ is a locally owned and operated Canadian company with over 25 years of combined experience in the disaster restoration industry. A Message from the President Mold is a growing concern. To continue to thrive as a business over the next ten years and beyond, we must look far ahead, understand the ever changing world and power in order to structure our business in the future and maneuver in such a way that will allow us to anticipate challenges we face throughout our journey, enabling us to continue operating as a world class company employing great people for continued success. Our Mission Find & fix sources of unhealthy indoor air Our Vision Healthy indoor air Our Core Values Dependable - We make commitments and meet them Resourceful - We find a way or make one Knowledgeable - We are certified and constantly learning Productive - We get it done right ASAP Trustworthy - We have a great reputation Loyal - We are proud of our company and its values Ethical - We don’t compromise our values and we don’t cut corners Respectful - We care about people, property and good stewardship of money All this while maintaining the utmost in health & safety standards. Indoor air quality specialists, we are experts in mold testing, removal and remediation; fire and flood damage restoration; indoor air quality testing; asbestos surveying, asbestos testing, sampling and abatement.