Mold in the News: Issue 138
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 21 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Is the damp and mould in your home killing you?: NO-ONE should be expected to live with damp and mould, there are thousands of different moulds that are quite harmless to the human body but there are also moulds in the home that can cause life changing affects both Neurologically and physically to the body and in some cases death.
NYCHA Mold Removal Settlement Has Wide Scope Thanks to High Asthma Rate: The absurdly long wait time for basic repairs has seemed to become just another unfortunate but standard inconvenience of living in public housing. Leaking ceilings, broken door locks, dead light sockets: A resident calls to report something in need of fixing and winds up facing a yearlong wait. The maintenance backlog has reached as high as 350,000.
Hamilton family is sickened by hidden mold infestation that their landlord allegedly covered up: Several months after moving into a home on Peter Rafferty Drive in Hamilton in May, Thomas, his 5-year-old sister, his parents and 62-year-old grandmother all began developing cold-like symptoms that quickly worsened over time, explained Kelly Harley, Thomas’s mom. After visiting several doctors trying to determine where their ailments stemmed from, the answer was found when Kelly Harley noticed mold growing downstairs in the basement. That’s when the nightmare began, she said.
MOLD and HEALTH (5)
Da’shore: Rutgers researcher studies mold vapors for link to illnesses: Bennett recently discovered that mushroom alcohol, a compound often emitted by mold, might be linked to symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. The findings, coauthored by Arati Inamdar, 34, of Edison, a research associate at Rutgers, were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in November.
Microbiology: Mould contamination in pharmaceutical drug products: Invasive fungal infections associated with high mortality rates are common in hospital settings, especially in intensive care units where patients may be immune-compromised, subject to invasive procedures and treated aggressively with antibiotics. The most common nosocomial fungal infections in descending order are due to the genera Candida, Aspergillus, Rhizopus, Fusarium and other less frequently isolated moulds. Usually the fungi are passed on from the hands of medical personnel, the indigenous microflora of the patient or the general hospital environment but occasionally pharmaceutical drug products and medical devices are implicated.
Tips for Tackling Winter Allergy Triggers: Winter can be a difficult time for people with allergies, but they can take steps to reduce their exposure to indoor triggers such as mold spores and dust mites, experts say.
Mold is growing issue at Sandy-damaged Mystic Island homes: Homes in the Mystic Island section of the township sit empty about 14 months after Hurricane Sandy, with mold still growing on their walls.
Drs find sick children live in cold and damp houses: A study of children admitted to Wellington hospital last winter found half of the children lived in cold houses, a third in damp houses and a quarter in houses that had mould in their living areas.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (4)
Air quality from mold forces school district to close for day: A broken water pipe flooded the Harrisburg Elementary School cafeteria. Now air quality issues related to fighting mold in the soaked structure have forced Harrisburg schools to cancel K-12 classes.
Cedarbrook School Community to be Fractured in the Interim to Address Mold Problem: In back-to-back public meetings Monday night Cheltenham school district officials announced that Cedarbrook Middle School would close as soon as late January as a result of mold infestation. But the big headline – and an unwelcome one – for the school, what many consider the jewel of the district and a bright passageway to high school and beyond for Cheltenham public school kids, is that it will be carved up into four different institutional spaces, all within the district’s borders, for at least a year.
Ukiah children’s library closed due to mold: The children’s room at the Ukiah library on North Main Street is shut down until further notice after county employees found mold in a window, a wall and the ceiling, according to Mendocino County Librarian Mindy Kittay.
Hardeeville Elementary air quality ‘normal’: An air-quality analysis performed Nov. 25 by Advanced Mold Technologies of Beaufort showed Hardeeville Elementary had little to worry about.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (7)
Hope Mills Town Hall mold removal to begin: At Monday night’s Board of Commissioners meeting, the Fayetteville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization made a presentation regarding congestion. The commissioners also approved the start of the process for removing mold from Town Hall.
Deputies displaced by mold return: Saratoga County sheriff’s deputies have returned to the Moreau substation full time after reports of mold temporarily displaced them for more than two months.
Blackburn home plagued by mould: A MOTHER-to-be has had to throw away a cot and pram due to mould in her home. Mavis Eccles is 30 weeks pregnant and she and husband Paul bought the goods in anticipation of their newborn’s arrival but were distraught when they noticed they had turned mouldy.
Washington County Courthouse Infested with Mold: Washington County Clerk of Court, Linda Cook said the courthouse was simply falling apart…literally. “A huge corner, on the East [side of the roof] fell [off] at the wheel chair ramp- the handy cap ramp. So, we knew we had to do something. So actually, that was when the mold was found.”
Family’s worry as damp and mould takes over home: A MAN is calling for a housing association to clear up damp and mould in his home as he has fears over his granddaughter’s health.
Aging Saginaw County Jail has leaky ceilings, mold problems and crowded conditions: After 42 years and more than 10,000 inmates coming and going each year, the Saginaw County Jail is showing its age.
Dungannon tenant’s anger over ‘longstanding’ mould issue in Housing Executive house: A tenant living in a Housing Executive (H.E) owned property in Dungannon has spoke of their anger following a problem with ‘mould’ on their ceiling which they claim the H.E will not repair.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (2)
Tenants Hail New Mold Guidelines For NYCHA: Public Housing tenants are hailing new guidelines for how the city assists tenants struggling with mold and moisture in their homes.
Benson, Riley & Ramos Bill to Establish Mold Exposure Limits In Residential Buildings Continues Advancing: Legislation sponsored by Assembly Democrats Daniel R. Benson, Celeste M. Riley and Ruben Ramos requiring the state to establish standards for exposure limits to mold in residential buildings and certification of mold inspectors and abatement workers was approved Thursday by a Senate committee.
— Got #Mold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) December 27, 2013