Mold in the News: Issue 166

Mold in the News: Issue 166
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 32 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
Mold makes Vancouver house uninhabitable: Craig and Shelly Johnson bought their Andresen neighborhood home 24 years ago. To the high school sweethearts, it was the perfect place to raise their kids and enjoy their future grandkids. This summer, the Johnsons learned their dream home was poisoning them. After a decade of unexplained chronic pain, fatigue, respiratory infections and debilitating headaches, Craig, 54, and Shelly, 50, learned the attic of their home was full of various varieties of black and white mold.
Your Coffee Maker Is Full Of Mold. Here’s How To Clean It: We love nothing more than a good cup of coffee. But a good cup of mold? Not so energizing. A 2011 study from NSF International found that about half of coffee makers (we’re talking the classic, basket-and-carafe kind here) had yeast and mold growing in their reservoirs. About one in ten were home to coliform bacteria. On average, home coffee reservoirs also had higher germ counts than both bathroom door handles and toilet seats.
Mold forces family to flee home: In the garage, a mountain of white trash bags store the couple’s belongings, and a young girl’s metal scooter leans against a wooden kitchen table darkened by mold.
Awful autumn allergies? Blame weeds, mold, wetness: If you’re sniffling, sneezing, and your eyes are all puffy, you’re not alone. A lot of allergy sufferers experience those symptoms, and the complaints have soared in recent weeks for a few reasons.
Take steps to control indoor air pollution: Barbara Schwitz realized why she didn’t feel well. She just couldn’t see where the culprit was hiding. “I knew when I started to get sick mold was somewhere in the house,” said Schwitz of Hyde Park.
To eliminate mold, eliminate the moisture: Whether you’re lying on your sofa in your living room or walking through the woods, you are surrounded by mold.
Mold drives out Avery residents: The new semester was off to a good start for residents in one Avery Residence Hall suite until mold started taking over.
Westside High library closed because of mold: Mold has kept the Westside High School library closed since the beginning of the year.
Black Mold Closes Lincoln School For Rest Of Week: A Lincoln elementary school will be closed the rest of the week due to mold found in a building.
B-CU students complain of mold in dorm: Students living in a Bethune-Cookman University dormitory are complaining about mold growing on walls, ceilings, pillows, clothing, showers, mattresses and even kitchen appliances inside their rooms.
Mold in Vanderbilt dorms spurs inspections in 500 rooms: Mold in some Vanderbilt University residence halls triggered inspections of about 500 separate rooms in September. Students in an old cluster of buildings started reporting mold and mildew in their rooms soon after move-in day in August, according to Jim Kramka, Vanderbilt’s senior director of housing operations.
Mold discovered in Elon’s Loy Center addressed by Physical Plant: It’s been a moldy start to the school year for Elon University.
Small amounts of mold found in some UofL dorm rooms: Small amounts of mold have turned up again inside some University of Louisville dorm rooms. In 2012, mold was found in three residence halls.
Mold removal completed at William and Mary Hall: The general climate of the Williamsburg area has been cited as the cause of mold growth on the ceiling of William and Mary Hall, for which a remediation project was completed in July, a senior college official said Thursday.
Mold closes Catholic elementary school for 4 days: A mold problem has kept some 300 children out of school since Friday at Queen of All Saints Catholic School on Christopher in the Oakville area of South St. Louis County.
Protest at SALCC over mold infestation: Authorities at the Sir Arthur Community College (SALCC) held a meeting following protest action organised by the Students’ Council this morning over mold infestation.
More mold infestation: The historic Willacy County Courthouse isn’t the only county building where employees say that mold is making them sick.
Museum to take financial hit from prolonged closure: January is the earliest the beleaguered Canada Science and Technology Museum could reopen its doors, despite initial hopes by officials to have it back up and running within weeks following the discovery of mould. The facility will suffer a financial blow since it will be forced to remain closed over the Christmas holidays, when it draws thousands of visitors, making it one of the busiest seasons for the museum.
Mold complaints chasing city from Barret center: Louisville Metro government is hunting for a new home for the government workers housed in the Urban County Government Center – the 50-year-old public building on Barret Avenue that has fueled health complaints related to mold.
Odessa mayor discusses problems with mold-infested building: Mold, water damage and even a rodent infestation have forced leaders in Odessa to move the city’s police and ambulance services out of a problem building.
Apartment residents: Problems are getting worse: A building with a history of problems is on the St. Louis City Health Department’s radar again. 5 on Your Side exposed the problems at Harlan Court Apartments, on Delmar, a few months ago. KSDK found mold and water damage issues, but residents say the problems are getting worse.
Full of Mold: Willacy Courthouse employees relocate: Willacy County officials are wrapping up plans to move from the mold-ridden county courthouse that they will close after more than 90 years.
Mould found growing on devices used to cradle sick babies: Mould has been found growing on a number of devices that are used to cradle sick babies while they are in hospital, health officials have warned.
Black Mold Impacting A Student Living At The Polos Apartments Complex: Emily Huber lives in The Polos Apartment Complex and says she found mold in her closet on Sunday.
Renovations begin after mold shut down Kane County morgue: Renovation work has begun at the Kane County coroner’s office and morgue, which was shut down in June because of a mold infestation and autopsies outsourced to DuPage County.
Treasure Island flooded with water, mold and radiation: Trelease Miller, 1126G Reeves Court, woke at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday to find water pouring out of her first floor bathroom toilet bowl two inches deep into the hallway, submerging the living room rug and streaming through the front door and out the patio door into the backyard. “It covered my shoes,” said Miller.
Local apartment troubled by mold growth: Residents of an apartment complex just beyond the east Colorado Springs city limits are seeking help with removing an outbreak of mold.
Niagara Falls woman says landlord won’t take care of black mold problem in rental home: While she is worried about her health and that of her family, a city woman is also angry at the owner of a home she is renting. April, who asked her last name not be used, discovered from a neighbour not long after she moved into a Dolphin Street home that the semi-detached home has a problem with black mold and alleges her landlord is not taking care of the problem.
Ypsilanti Township sues over another flooded, mold-infested home owned by Fannie Mae: Ypsilanti Township is asking for a court’s help ordering in the cleanup of a flooded, mold-infested home owned by Fannie Mae.
Judge rules against extra payout in District 303 mold case: A Cook County judge this month ruled St. Charles School District 303 does not have to pay an additional $374,000 in a lawsuit tied to the 2001 mold discovery at St. Charles East High School.
MISC. (2)
Options available for late-season treatment of damaging white mold: The cool, wet weather that seemed impossible to shake this summer created ideal conditions for the development of white mold, Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, in susceptible crops such as soybean, dry edible beans and potato.
Kong Aussie Sticks Recalled for Possible Mold: In a day of dog product recalls, JAKKS Pacific of Walnut, California has issued a recall of Kong Aussie Sticks dog treats due to possible contamination with mold.