Mold in the News: Issue 168
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are 24 stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news.
FEATURED STORIES (3)
Parents worried after mould found in school portables: A group of parents at a Toronto school say their children’s portables have been covered in mould for at least a year but no permanent solutions have been found.
Watch fast-food hamburgers get moldy, just because: There’s long been talk of fast-food that doesn’t age like real food. The press is bad enough for McDonald’s to push a PR campaign claiming its food does, in fact, rot. Putting that claim to the test, the people of Buzzfeed put seven hamburgers from seven different restaurants in glass jars to see what they looked like after 30 days.
State Lawmakers Examine Whether Georgia Should Create Mold Laws: Mold can cause serious health problems. But right now, there are no state laws, or even EPA regulations, to protect residents. Some state senators are looking at whether that should change. Senators created a study committee to look at mold and mildew related problems after hearing stories like Linda Porter’s. After Porter moved into an apartment in Southwest Atlanta, she discovered a blackish colored mold.
MOLD and HEALTH (3)
Damp, mouldy homes bad for allergy sufferers: Dusty, damp and mouldy conditions in many Marlborough homes are breeding dust mites and triggering chronic symptoms in allergy sufferers, an allergy specialist says.
Recent rain brings mold problems: The Tri-States has experienced a lot rain this past week and it has caused problems for some. “With the amount of rain we’ve been getting recently, in the past few years even, there has been a lot of mold crop up,” John Bertoni, owner of Quincy Home Pro, said.
Renters in Burton putting health at risk because of mould and damp: DOZENS of private renters in Burton are having their health put at risk because they are living in damp and mouldy homes, according to new research.
MOLD IN SCHOOLS (4)
Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff: Students living in University Hall have complained about finding mold in their air vents and becoming ill.
SGA confronts East Village mold problem: John Biernbaum, the associate vice president of student services, came to the meeting to speak on behalf of the ongoing resolution of the mold problem in East Village.
Urbana Middle School gym closed as crews clean up mold: A costly clean up is currently underway at Urbana Middle School after a series of complications led to a mold problem on the gym ceiling.
Mold means closure, six-figure repair at Urbana Middle School: Urbana Middle School’s gym is off-limits to P.E. classes, basketball and all other activities until sometime in December. The culprit: mold and other issues caused by water damage from the July 12 downpour. The cost: between $190,000 and $200,000, said district Superintendent Don Owen, some of which will come from insurance; the rest from the school board’s recently approved emergency budget increase.
MOLD IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS (9)
Bradley Sheriff: Leaky Pipes Cause Problems, Mold in Jail: Leaking pipes are washing away tax dollars in Bradley County. Concrete re-enforced walls are dissolving from a water problem that the sheriff wants to get fixed.
Historical Society: Mold creating problems in courthouse: Members of the Coffee County Historical Society Bonnie Parsley and Joanna Lewis, whose office is located in the historic county courthouse on the square in Manchester, appeared before the Budget and Finance Committee Tuesday to request funding to combat a growing mold problem inside the building.
Mouldy flats ‘are threat to health’: MOULD and damp problems are making life a misery for some people living in rented flats at Townstal, Dartmouth. Among them are young families who say the situation has become so bad it is making them ill.
Landlord accused of renting out condemned house: The Mansfield City Law Director’s Office will consider filing charges against a local landlord accused of renting a condemned property filled with mold to several residents.
Carmarthenshire Archives closed following mould discovery: Carmarthenshire’s family researchers and amateur historians will be forced to take a break from digging up the past after it was announced that the county’s archives were closing to the public due to the discovery of mould in some of the storage rooms.
Local Office Closed Down, Evacuated Due to Elevated Mold Levels: Complaints from City workers led to the shutdown of one local office and an emergency evacuation due to elevated mold levels Wednesday.
Proposed shelter contains ‘hazardous’ mold: The discovery of dangerous mold in a city-owned building has thrown a new wrinkle into plans to convert the structure into an emergency homeless shelter.
New survey reveals that poor conditions such as mould and damp are commonplace for renters: One in 11 renters in the South West have suffered health problems in the last year because rouge landlords failed to deal with poor conditions in their properties.
NY1 For You: Harlem Resident Has Trouble Getting Mold Out of Apartment: Mold is not uncommon in city apartments, and as one Harlem renter found out the hard way, it’s not easy to get rid of.
LEGAL ISSUES and MOLD (2)
Radio station sued for medical complications allegedly caused by mold-infested building: A radio station and the owner of the building where it is located are being sued by a woman who claims fell ill during 2013 due to a failure to keep the building sanitized, which resulted in her exposure to toxic mold.
Mold, air-quality issues at Fla. fire stations part of labor dispute: Health and safety concerns are just one part of a prolonged labor dispute after many firefighters say the biggest danger they face is mold in their firehouses.
Prevent mycotoxins at the source: “The impact of mould on the nutrient quality of feed is often overlooked. It should be realised that as moulds propagate, they utilise the nutrients in the feed to sustain their growth. This can result in lower levels of carbohydrates, fats, amino acids and vitamins available to the animal through the feed. When the animal consumes this nutrient deficient feed, body weight gain can decrease and feed conversion efficiency is poorer,” explains Dr Richardson.
Tis the season for…mold growth: Have you ever opened a bag of feed that smells a little musty or put your hand in the feed bunk in the middle of the winter and the ration is too hot to touch? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then there probably was a mold problem that was not addressed. In most cases, by the time most people notice they have a problem with their feed or grain; it is too late to do much about it.
Lincoln officials declare war on mold’s growth in wet homes: Lincoln authorities are asking residents with wet homes and flooded basements to try to stop mold growth.
— #GotMold?™ (@gotmoldglobal) October 29, 2014