Mold in the News: Issue 5

Mold in the News: Issue 5
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mold related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are some stories we thought may interest you!

Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mold and mold related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mold related news as we find it. Our facebook page is also full of mold related information…please LIKE us; our founder, James C. Watson, is donating $0.50 for every new LIKE we get to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Thanks for your support.
$9.2 million plan to upgrade three schools that were closed by a mold infestation last fall: The school district has proposed a $9.2 million plan to upgrade three schools that were closed by a mold infestation last fall. The plan, which will go before local voters on March 13, is intended to address chronic problems that led to the mold problem, said Newin Schoener, the district’s superintendent. A mold cleanup shut the district’s elementary schools: Atco, Thomas Richards and Waterford for five days in October.
Tricks For Removing Mold: I have traces of mold across parts of my basement walls. What is the best way to kill and remove it, and then to prevent it from coming back? – Jeff B., Indianapolis Dear Jeff: Before you try to remove the mold, you should first figure out the source of the mold to prevent it from coming back. Highly rated mold remediators I’ve talked to over the years have all said the same thing: “You don’t have a mold problem. You have a moisture problem.”
Video: Walls crumbling from mould infestation on B.C. reserve: Residents of a First Nations reserve on northern Vancouver Island say that mould is eating away at their walls and destroying their homes. On Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw land near Port Hardy, community members say that nearly half of the homes are being degraded by mould. “This one has mould issues, and then this one has mould issues, and the next one has mould issues. We don’t have enough money to bring our houses up to code,” band manager Les Taylor told CTV News.
Mold Specialist in Passaic Teams with SEO Marketer to Guarantee Mold Removal in the Tri-State Area: Web users in the Tri-State region will soon have a shortcut to guaranteed mold removal. As part of an online push to boost its mold remediation business, Everest Environmental, LLC, has announced a recent partnership with leading Internet marketer Prospect Genius.
Public Housing Residents — One With Her Mold Brush — Sue the City: Sharon Davis-Knight shows off the toothbrush that she uses to clear away mold in the bathroom of her apartment in the Farragut Houses. She’s one of several tenants who sued the city on Thursday. Residents of a trio of Fort Greene housing projects — including one woman showing off the a toothbrush she uses to fight persistent mold — sued the city on Thursday, claiming that the Housing Authority is a “slumlord” that violates laws that mandate timely repairs.
Get independent lab to test air before mold cleanup: Few things scare homeowners more than learning they have mold in their home. Mold is a common problem that could cause health risks and diminish your home’s value. Though most mold remediators are honest and reliable, some unscrupulous companies try to scare homeowners into spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily. One tactic these companies use is revealing results an air quality test the company conducts itself, which shows mold present in the home.
Common Toxins in Our Homes, Schools and Workplaces: The Global Indoor Health Network is releasing its position statement highlighting the main threats to human health hidden in our homes, schools and workplaces. It is time for our national and world leaders to develop a comprehensive health response. Henderson, NV, March 03, 2012 –(PR.com)– Today, the Global Indoor Health Network released its position statement titled “Common Toxins in our Homes, Schools and Workplaces.”
School District Saves Thousands of Dollars with Mold Screen Check: A recent Finnish Institute of Occupational Health study concluded that indoor dampness and mold shows “new evidence of the relation between workplace exposure to indoor molds and the development of asthma in adulthood.” Aspergillus sp., Penicillium sp., Fusarium sp., Stachybotrys sp., Alternaria sp.; the list goes on. These are the names of many pathogens and mycotoxins that have become household names in recent years that many business owners and homeowners are having to deal with each and everyday.
Recognizing Toxic Mold Symptoms: Detecting toxic mold symptoms is essential as mold has been resulting in severe medical problems in human beings. These toxic kinds of mold can really exist in moist conditions in the home or workplace with out us even knowing it. In the last 10 years, there was numerous accounts involving toxic molds causing serious and many times fatal outcomes for babies and sensitive individuals. The medical concerns of toxic mold range between rashes to respiratory system difficulties.

Mould in Classroom Made Her Sick!

Mould in Classroom Made Her Sick: Forced to Retire, Denied Benefits!
“My doctor just kept giving me medication and I kept taking medication,” Griffith said. “I had puffers … a yellow, an orange — I’ve had them all.”
“It would be irresponsible to return an employee that has already developed a health risk.”
Yesterday I read this news story about Carmen Griffith, a woman dedicated to running the after school program at Chelsea Elementary School in West Quebec. Here are the facts:
1. Griffith’s health did not have to suffer…the root cause of the problem was a leaky roof, which was not fixed. Mold thrives in such conditions. All the school board had to do is fix the leaky roof and then conduct an air quality test to measure the mold spore count.
2. Since the roof was not fixed on the portable school room, moisture continued to enter…creating a breeding ground for mold to thrive.
3. Black mould was found underneath wallpaper covering the wall behind Griffith’s desk. Black mold, also known as stachybotrys, is toxic.
4. After four years of working at her desk, Griffith became severely ill and was constantly seeing her doctor. Eventually, the air quality was tested and toxic mold spores were found.
5. Mold is the root cause of Griffith’s health problems; mold was found growing in her lungs.
6. Griffith had to retire early because she was no longer able to work because of her health.
Despite these facts, Quebec’s Workers Compensation Agency is denying Griffith her benefits, stating that there is no link between the working conditions and her health. Really?
“I’m very upset that the system let me down,” Griffiths said. “I feel the system could have done more for me, I really do. It’s maddening.”
I agree, this is maddening! Mold is a growing concern. This problem did not have to occur; it could have easily been prevented by fixing the root cause. Yet, the West Quebec School Board failed to do this. How many other school boards are negligent and failing to make their schools safe environments for students, teachers, and staff?
It is clear that in our quest to save money our governments and school boards are sacrificing the health of our children and teachers. This story should upset every parent or teacher who is concerned about the air quality of their schools. Is your school a safe environment or a breeding ground for toxic mold? We want to know.
Make yourself heard, comment below, visit our facebook fan page, tweet us, and make sure you leave a comment on the original article published by the CBC.