What is the Link Between Mold and Cystic Fibrosis?

What is the Link Between Mold and Cystic Fibrosis?
Recently there was a news report that found approximately 50 percent of cystic fibrosis patients were also infected by Aspergillus fungus, caused by exposure to mold.
Cystic Fibrosis (CF), first described by Dorothy Hansine Andersen, is a genetic disorder that affects the lungs, pancreas, liver, and intestine. The name cystic fibrosis refers to the characteristic scarring (fibrosis) and cyst formation within the pancreas. Difficulty breathing is the most serious symptom and results from frequent lung infections that are treated with antibiotics and other medications. Other symptoms, include sinus infections, poor growth, and infertility.
Research, conducted by Jo Armstead, a medical student at Manchester University, found that there are over 75,000 people, both afflicted with CF and who also suffer from an aspergillus fungal infection.
This research highlights the dangers of mold. Aspergillosis causes airway infections, bronchitis, and the allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA) allergy, which starts in childhood and reaches a peak in late teenage years. Treatment involves anti fungal therapy or oral steroids, however, neither treatment has been shown to be very effective, as anti fungal resistance to these treatment types continues to be an issue for clinicians.
According to Professor Denning, Director of the NHS National Aspergillosis Center:
“The life expectancy of people with CF has been increasing, but aspergillosis has a major negative impact on many.”
Aspergillus is a common mold and readily found outdoors. CF patients need to be aware that their condition can worsen if they are living, working, or going to school in a building that has suffered moisture damage because this could expose them to high levels of aspergillus spores.
If you have questions, call us toll free, 1-888-909-6653 or use the form below.

    Adverse Health Affects from Mold

    Adverse Health Affects from Mold
    The medical establishment has found it difficult to diagnose sickness caused by mold because each person reacts differently. Many of the initial symptoms are similar to what we experience when we get a cold or flu:
    -headaches
    -coughing
    -wheezing
    -sinus problems and post-nasal drip
    -itchy rashes
    -joint pain
    Untreated, exposure to indoor molds can have long term health consequences. According to mycotoxin expert Dr. Harriet Ammann, exposure to indoor molds can damage the systems of your body in the following ways:
  • Vascular: blood vessel fragility, hemorrhage from tissues or lungs
  • Digestive: diarrhea, vomiting, hemorrhage, liver damage, fibrosis and necrosis
  • Respiratory: trouble breathing, bleeding from lungs
  • Neurological: tremors, loss of coordination, headaches, depression, multiple sclerosis
  • Skin: rashes, burning, sloughing, photosensitivity
  • Urinary: kidney toxicity
  • Reproductive: infertility, changes in reproductive cycles
  • Immune: Immunosuppression
  • If you or someone you love seems to get sick all the time and the doctors just can’t seem to figure out the problems, check out this article and interview with Dr. Doris Rapp, a mold expert and author of several books, including Our Toxic World: A Wake Up Call.