Does Mold Make Animals Sick?

Does Mold Make Animals Sick?
Yesterday’s post of Mold In the News featured an article about mold being found in a bag of Purina One Beyond cat food. Soon after posting this on facebook, several people commented. This is one of the comments that was posted:
Oh no…..I found mold in My Purina Cat food bag, thought I accidently used the water cup in sealed container and it caused mold. I took the mold off the top pieces because I thought that was all. Have used 2 more bags since then, and my 25 year old cat died from intestine blockage and cancer. He was healthy before that bag.
This is a sad story. Moldy food could have contributed to the cat’s death. If you find mold on your pet’s food, promptly return it to your retailer and report your finding.
Toxic mold-Stachybotrys chartarum-which is harmful to humans, can also have an impact on the health of household pets.
In 2007, the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, published a study that documented the case of toxic black mold poisoning in pets. The study was prompted after two cats died of pulmonary hemorrage and subsequent blood tests showed the presence of a toxin produced by Stachybotrys chartarum, which can cause respiratory-related health problems, pulmonary hemorrhage and death.
Seven months prior to the cat’s death, the owner’s home sustained water damage due to flooding. At the request of the researchers, the home owner had it checked for mold. The mold inspection found a severe mold contamination of the walls leading the researchers to conclude that toxic mold was the cause of the death.
It is fairly clear that your pet’s health can be compromised by mold. If your pet is having trouble breathing, coughing, has red eyes, unexplained allergies and lethargy it is a good idea to visit your veterinarian to determine what the cause of the sickness is. At the same time, if you suspect that mold may be making you, your family, or pets sick, it is a good idea to get your home inspected for mold.