Asbestos in the news issue #131

Asbestos in the news issue #131
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of asbestos related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are just a few stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of asbestos and asbestos related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet asbestos news frequently.
In PDX, many homes demolished with asbestos inside – Contractors have been tearing down hundreds of Portland homes without properly removing the asbestos inside, a practice that ignores state regulations and could put workers at risk.

Federal parties, candidates respond to MV Miner questions – Only two of the four federal mainstream political parties addressed the issue of the MV Miner in letters to the Main-a-Dieu Community Development Association.

Five Companies Settle, One Left for Trial in Asbestos Case – Ford Motor Co., Honeywell International Inc. and three other companies settled with the estate of a Eustis woman who died of mesothelioma after alleged asbestos exposure. The last remaining defendant is preparing for a 10-day federal trial in Miami.

Suspected asbestos found at Humpty Dumps in Cirencester on land where homes are planned – Developer Baylight Properties has applied to build up to 69 homes on the Humpty Dumps, off Bowling Green Lane, and its contamination tests organised as part of the application, uncovered materials suspected to contain asbestos.

Asbestos confirmed at Quincy High School, Monday classes and activities cancelled – Quincy High School will be closed again on Monday following an evacuation Sept. 24 when asbestos was discovered in the roof of the former art building. “It’s asbestos,” said Peter Connell, the principal scientist for PFC Industrial Hygiene Consulting, principal of suspicious material removed from the roof and tested shortly after the evacuation around 6:00 p.m. “School will be closed on Monday as a precaution.”

WorkSafe inspector exposed to asbestos after botched demolition of Mr Fluffy home – The demolition of a Mr Fluffy house last month reportedly created large plumes of asbestos-contaminated dust, exposing a WorkSafe inspector to the deadly fibres. Residents who lived near the Torrens home were not told of the incident, though WorkSafe ACT and the ACT government were notified. The government said air-monitoring equipment on the property’s perimeter, set up and analysed by a licensed asbestos assessor, found no evidence that the deadly fibres had breached the site’s boundaries.

Serious concerns about Rochdale asbestos air monitoring – An email exchange could cast doubt on the nature of Rochdale Council’s “reassurance” testing of air around the former Turner Brothers Asbestos site in the Spodden Valley. Correspondence from Rochdale Council to a member of the public, Delwyn Bale of Dell Road, asks for his permission to have monitoring equipment installed in his garden – Mr Bale gave his permission immediately. Soon after, Mr Bale started to read archived Rochdale Online news articles about the issues regarding asbestos and the TBA site. As a result, he emailed some questions back to Rochdale Council. The official response and attitude openly expressed by Michael Moore, Senior Public Protection Officer, shocked Mr Bale.

MESOTHELIOMA VICTIMS CENTER NOW URGES FAMILY MEMBERS OF A DIAGNOSED US NAVY VETERAN TO NOT TAKE COMPENSATION FOR GRANTED–CALL FOR INSTANT ACCESS TO THE NATION’S MOST SKILLED LAWYERS – The Mesothelioma Victims Centre says, “What we’ve been seeing is family members looking online for information on mesothelioma for a father who has been recently diagnosed. What too many end up doing is contacting what we refer to as path-of-least-resistance mesothelioma law firms. These firms make claims such as, ‘no lawsuit needed’, ‘simply fill out a claims form’, or ‘we’ve helped millions of people.’

Clean-up of asbestos on WestConnex site in St Peters under scrutiny – Environmental lawyers have raised concerns about the state government’s management of a waste site at St Peters, which is planned to be converted into a motorway interchange. The WestConnex Delivery Authority acquired the former Dial-A-Dump site in December, and since August has been removing material from the site in trucks.

If you believe you have asbestos in your home and are planning renovations, contact a professional for an inspection and get testing! Contact us today for more details!

Survey Says…Asbestos!

Image Courtesy of People Dot Com

Survey Says…Asbestos!
Richard Dawson, famous for his roles as Peter Newkirk in Hogan’s Heroes and for being the host of the game show, Family Feud, died of esophageal cancer at the age of 79.
It is speculated that his death may have been caused by asbestos exposure while working on the television and movie sets in Hollywood.
According to the Mesothelioma Center, there is a link between asbestos exposure and esophageal cancer.
Other famous celebrities that have died from asbestos exposure include Donna Summer and the actor and NFL star, Merlin Olsen, who died from mesothelioma cancer in March, 2010. Olsen’s widow, Susan, is currently suing NBC, Fox, and other companies claiming that her husband died from asbestos exposure on the sets of Little House on the Prairie and Father Murphy.