School Board Makes $800,000 Mistake!
Former Westview Chemistry teacher Marion Pitts remembers it, “There was moisture on the lockers, the table tops. There was moisture everywhere.”
The school system’s response…
“They used big fans. We were told to stay out of the building while they did that. They got things dry so we could get back in the school,” said Pitts.
Pitts said the storage closet in her chemistry lab was especially bad, “I noticed some black things on the ceiling tiles, coming down from ceiling tiles onto the walls. Some black growth started forming.”
“They went to all these totally ineffective means to clean it up and exposed all these kids and all these employees for all this amount of time,” said Parrish.
Recently, there was a news article about a serious mold problem that occurred in a school. Apparently, a pipe burst during the summer holidays and created serious moisture issues.
It is a fact mold is one of the problems caused by excessive moisture because water is one of the key ingredients mold needs to grow. This is one of the reasons that flooding and sewer backups cause mold problems. Other key ingredients for mold growth are the right temperature of 5 degrees to 38 degrees and of course food, such as paper, wood, drywall, wallpaper, carpet, ceiling tiles, dust, and dirt.
In this case, the decision makers in charge of the school system made some bad, negligent decisions because they did not ask professionals to assess the situation, inspect the school for mold, and get the air quality tested. Instead, all they did was try to dry out the school, which clearly did not work and led to the proliferation of mold.
Ultimately, this was a very costly mistake for the School Board and tax payers because $800,000 in damages had to be paid out to plaintiffs in a law suit. Perhaps, the most troubling aspect of this case is the pipe burst in 1998 and the case was not settled until 2010. For many years, students and teachers were exposed to bad air quality and toxic mold.
Sadly, the true cost of this is most likely in the millions of dollars when considering the health costs, not to mention that lives were ruined. This is a clear case of trying to put a band aid on a problem that dealt with effectively could have been prevented. It is simply short-sighted, penny wise pound foolish behavior. I wonder how many other schools are unsafe? If you are a student or teacher and you believe your school is causing sickness, we want to hear from you.
Got Mold? has written extensively on the issue of mold in schools and consistently documents each occurrence we find by publishing Mold in the News.
What do you think about the issue of mold in schools?
What do you think should be done to ensure that the air quality is safe for our teachers and children in our schools?
We look forward to your comments and feedback.
For your reference, listed below are some other articles on the issue of Mold in Schools:
— Got #Mold? (@gotmoldglobal) May 10, 2012