Is Your Pet Food Safe?

Is Your Pet Food Safe?
There are three distinct types of molds: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxigenic. Toxigenic molds pose the most serious health risk to both humans and animals because they have aflatoxins.
Recently, there were news reports of pet food recalls. The food was recalled because it was contaminated with aflatoxins.
Aflatoxins are naturally occurring mycotoxins produced by the mold Aspergillus. Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus are two of the most toxic and most carcinogenic molds leading to many health risks, including several types of cancer.
According to Veterinary Practice News “aflatoxins are produced on peanuts, soybeans, corn and other cereals in the field or during storage when moisture content and temperatures are sufficiently high for mold growth. High doses of aflatoxins result in severe hepatocellular necrosis, and prolonged low dosages result in reduced growth rate and liver enlargement. Pets that have consumed the affected product and are exhibiting symptoms of illness including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, vomiting, yellowish tint to the eyes or gums, or diarrhea should be seen by a veterinarian.”
T-2 mycotoxin derived from molds such as Aspergillus, are used for biological warfare. In fact, Aspergillus mold is so toxic and resilient that this was the cause of the death of the archaeologists that discovered King Tutankhamen’s tomb which lay undisturbed for 3,000 years.
As demonstrated from this article, mold is a growing concern. If you are concerned about your pet food, and want to know if it is subject to a recall, click here. If you suspect that you have mold and need some help determining what type of mold it is, give us a call, we are here to help!

Really, How Toxic is Mold?

Really, How Toxic is Mold?
Mycotoxins are naturally occurring substances produced by mold and are pathogenic to animals and humans. An estimated more than 300 mycotoxins are produced by some 350 species of fungi. The T-2 mycotoxin, which is classified as a trichothecene mycotoxin, is elaborated from the fusariam, aspergillus, and stachybotrys (black mold) species of mold.

Indeed, T-2 mycotoxin is so toxic that the 90% of the United States Army biological warfare research is on this toxin. In fact, T-2 mycotoxin has been used in war time situations as a biological war agent. In aerosol form it is referred to as “yellow rain” and was used in Vietnam, Laos, and several other wars.
Some molds, particularly stachybotrys (black mold) and aspergillus are very toxic and constant exposure can lead to serious health issues. If you suspect that you have mold in your home and are unsure of what type of mold it is, we recommend that you have it tested. We can help, contact us for a professional assessment!