Mold in the News: Issue 7

Mold in the News: Issue 7
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mould related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are some stories we thought may interest you!
Please share this information so that we can continue to increase awareness of mould and mould related illnesses. Follow us on twitter because we tweet important mould news. Our facebook page is also full of mould news…please LIKE us. Our founder, James C. Watson, is donating $0.50 for every new LIKE we get to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Thanks for your support.
Mold case can go forward: appeals court: An appeals court on Tuesday clarified a 2008 ruling, finding that it did not bar individuals from pursuing claims that they developed illnesses from toxic mold.
Get independent lab to test air before mold cleanup: Few things scare homeowners more than learning they have mold in their home. Mold is a common problem that could cause health risks and diminish your home’s value. Though most mold remediators are honest and reliable, some unscrupulous companies try to scare homeowners into spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily. One tactic these companies use is revealing results an air quality test the company conducts itself, which shows mold present in the home.
AK Department of Building: Mold and Water Problems: State Department of Labor employees in Juneau will move out of a building that has experienced mold and water infiltration problems. State procurement officer Vern Jones tells the Juneau Empire that the state has ended negotiations with Juneau 1 LLC, the owner of the building referred to locally as the “Plywood Palace.” Jones says the building owners wanted a 10-year commitment from the state.
UPDATE–Video: Edgewater Elementary plagued by mold: The Edgewater Elementary School has a mold problem, according to tests done by an outside contractor. Parents and teachers have been complaining the damp moldy building is making them sick.
Video: Cordova Middle School Parents Worried About Possible Mold At School: Parents worried about mold at Cordova Middle School want to know if a teacher’s death over the weekend is related to mold. The School system is not speculating on the cause of death, but testing samples from school as precaution. Silence and “don’t worry” remarks concern some parents. They want to know whether their children are in danger from what they think is mold inside the school.
Budget Waterproofing Encourages Homeowners to Conduct Spring Mold Inspection: With the warmer weather approaching, Budget Waterproofing recommends homeowners to examine their houses, especially basements, looking for the signs of mold. If not handled promptly, mold growth might escalate and present a serious health hazard. According to the recent CBS21 story, some areas of Pennsylvania and Maryland are still dealing with the aftermath of Tropical Storm Lee that hit the East Coast this past September.

Mould in Classroom Made Her Sick!

Mould in Classroom Made Her Sick: Forced to Retire, Denied Benefits!
“My doctor just kept giving me medication and I kept taking medication,” Griffith said. “I had puffers … a yellow, an orange — I’ve had them all.”
“It would be irresponsible to return an employee that has already developed a health risk.”
Yesterday I read this news story about Carmen Griffith, a woman dedicated to running the after school program at Chelsea Elementary School in West Quebec. Here are the facts:
1. Griffith’s health did not have to suffer…the root cause of the problem was a leaky roof, which was not fixed. Mold thrives in such conditions. All the school board had to do is fix the leaky roof and then conduct an air quality test to measure the mold spore count.
2. Since the roof was not fixed on the portable school room, moisture continued to enter…creating a breeding ground for mold to thrive.
3. Black mould was found underneath wallpaper covering the wall behind Griffith’s desk. Black mold, also known as stachybotrys, is toxic.
4. After four years of working at her desk, Griffith became severely ill and was constantly seeing her doctor. Eventually, the air quality was tested and toxic mold spores were found.
5. Mold is the root cause of Griffith’s health problems; mold was found growing in her lungs.
6. Griffith had to retire early because she was no longer able to work because of her health.
Despite these facts, Quebec’s Workers Compensation Agency is denying Griffith her benefits, stating that there is no link between the working conditions and her health. Really?
“I’m very upset that the system let me down,” Griffiths said. “I feel the system could have done more for me, I really do. It’s maddening.”
I agree, this is maddening! Mold is a growing concern. This problem did not have to occur; it could have easily been prevented by fixing the root cause. Yet, the West Quebec School Board failed to do this. How many other school boards are negligent and failing to make their schools safe environments for students, teachers, and staff?
It is clear that in our quest to save money our governments and school boards are sacrificing the health of our children and teachers. This story should upset every parent or teacher who is concerned about the air quality of their schools. Is your school a safe environment or a breeding ground for toxic mold? We want to know.
Make yourself heard, comment below, visit our facebook fan page, tweet us, and make sure you leave a comment on the original article published by the CBC.