Mold in the News: Issue 3

Mold in the News: Issue 3
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mold related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are some stories we thought may interest you!
Family’s mould hell: A couple whose infant daughter is suffering from a chronic cough say they have had to fight a 10-year battle to be moved from their mould-infested home. Sabrina and Danny Ebanks-Thornback say they have endured eight years in a damp housing association home – only to be moved into a second mouldy property.
Chelsea Hotel Mold Investigation in Atlantic City: CBS 3 I-Team went undercover, and beyond the glitzy lobby, beach views and swanky dining at the Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City, we found what appeared to be mold in a number of rooms: guest rooms, utility rooms, and storage rooms where we saw cots and cribs.
Return of the Mold Monster: Military Housing Sucks, Corrupt Government Contractor: NewsChannel 3’s investigation into mold in military housing is getting results for military families. Lincoln Military Housing is spending millions to try to solve the problems our exclusive investigation uncovered three months ago, hoping to make things right with their residents at home. But at the same time, the company is trying to get off the hook in the courtroom.
Mould in schools a concern for union, parents: The union representing elementary school teachers in Ontario say parents and school boards must be vigilant about the spread of mould in school buildings and portables. Peter Guiliani, the head of the Ottawa-Carleton local of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, said his union has complained about mould in Ottawa schools on behalf of both staff and students, and said parents should do the same.
Police union links mould to legionnaires: The WA Police Union believes continuing issues of mould at a station in the Pilbara may have contributed to an officer contracting Legionnaires disease. Both the Karratha and South Hedland police stations had severe mould problems last year. Some officers had to be relocated to nearby stations as a result.
44% of reserve homes in Canada have mould: Snaw’Naw’As Chief David Bob stands by the stoop of a faded two-storey home that has seen better days. The white paint is peeling off the door and the porch is sagging beneath its own weight. The dilapidated house was built more than two decades ago when homes weren’t constructed to withstand the wet coastal weather, and like others its age, it’s vulnerable to black mould. Mouldy reserve homes in Canada are amounting to a national crisis and First Nations in Nanoose and Nanaimo are not immune.

Mold in the News: Issue 2

Mold in the News: Issue 2
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mold related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are some stories we thought may interest you!
Mold Takes Over Home In Queens: At first you may think it’s just black marker, or perhaps dirt on Patrina Smith’s walls, but a close look reveals large blotches of mold which continue to grow each day at her home in Jamaica Queens. “I walk through the door and see this,” Patrina says as she points to splatters of mold on her ceiling. Over time fur has also grown over the mold in her two bedroom home.
Couple says mold in apartment caused health problems: According to the Environmental Protection Agency, living with mold in your home can cause everything from mild asthma to shortness of breath and even lung disease. “The burning of the eyes, the coughing and the headaches, constant headaches,” said Frank Killian on how he thinks mold affected him. Killen said he and his girlfriend, Deb, dealt with health issues for the past two years because of mold in his apartment.
School cafeteria inspections uncover risky violations such as mold: Updated story on Barton Elementary school mold problem reported earlier.
Broward County Florida Courthouse’s Toxic Mold Alleged to be Cause of Employees’ Illnesses: Allegations contained in lawsuits from 19 past and present employees who worked in the Broward County courthouse claim toxic substances in the building are have made them sick. The injured employees claim the courthouse, located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, is contaminated with toxic mold and asbestos.
Tenant’s court-approved deal in mold lawsuit in limbo: A court-approved mediated agreement between a woman who said she suffered serious health problems from years of mold contamination in her government-subsidized apartment may have hit a snag.
FEMA: Mold Hazard After Flooding, May Return as Weather Warms: FEMA: Mold Hazard After Flooding, May Return as Weather Warms The floodwaters may have receded months ago, but mold and mildew – dormant during the winter months — may reappear in water-damaged homes as the weather warms. Mold only grows in warm, wet conditions and may have been inactive and unnoticed during the winter months. It can lurk throughout a home, from the attic to the basement and crawl spaces.
One Verona school sets up surveillance to combat vandals; another combats mold: Due to ongoing vandalism at Forest Avenue Elementary School, the Verona Police Department is lending a portable surveillance system to the school, Verona Board of Education member Glenn Elliot announced at last week’s board meeting. Mold keeps reappearing in the basement storage area of F.N. Brown Elementary school. Student do not spend class or activity time in the affected area.

Mold in the News: Issue 1

Mold in the News: Issue 1
At Got Mold? our goal is to keep our followers aware of mold related news stories. Each day, we scour the internet looking for relevant information. Here are some stories we thought may interest you!
State Plans To Extend DoL Lease Despite Health Concerns: The state is negotiating a new lease for the Department of Labor building in Juneau, even as employees who work there continue to suffer ill health effects. Water damage, mold, and air quality issues have long plagued the structure, known as the Plywood Palace.
Queens family suffering health problems from mold-infested Jamaica home: Inky-black mold spores speckling a Jamaica home have left a Queens family unable to breath easy. Patrina Smith, who receives Section 8 rent subsidies first noticed the toxic fungi in February 2011, a month after she, her two daughters and granddaughter moved in to the two-family home. Spores have now overtaken the walls, floors and furniture, making the apartment, by many accounts, uninhabitable.
Broward courthouse employees sue over working in ‘sick’ building: Nineteen current and former employees of the Broward County Courthouse have sued the county, arguing the building is “sick” and so are they. The employees say the county’s courthouse in downtown Fort Lauderdale is infested with toxic mold and that tiny asbestos fibers float through the air, exposing the public and the employees to health dangers.
Vermin, mold among risky issues in school cafeterias: At Barton Elementary school in Lake Worth, when the dismissal bell rings, you better watch out for the rushing crowd of excited students. Turns out, you also better watch out if you’re entering the school cafeteria. It failed its health inspections three times over the past two years.

The Mummy’s Curse and Mold

The Mummy’s Curse and Mold
Death shall come on swift wings to him who disturbs the peace of the king.
(The curse engraved on the exterior of King Tutankhamen’s tomb)
We have all heard about this curse. Mummification was a means of preserving the bodies of wealthy and prominent Egyptians in order to fulfill their quest to eternity. In 1922, a team of British archeologists in Egypt found the boy-king Tutankhamen’s tomb. By 1929, the eleven people associated with the tomb died of early and “unnatural” causes and this is how the myth of the “Mummy’s Curse” evolved.
However, it appears that the team that discovered the tomb all died from ancient mold spores.

In 1999, a German microbiologist, Gotthard Kramer identified several species of mold spores in tombs. Spores have a hardened outside shell which allows them to survive for a long period of time, even under harsh conditions (high or low temperature and without water). Mold spores can survive in almost any climate, even a dark dry tomb. He hypothesized “that when the tomb was first opened, the fresh air could have caused the spores to be blown into the air and infect the archaeologists through their nose, mouth, or eyes.”
The mold spores were identified as Aspergillus species which produces mycotoxins. These toxic fungi can cause rashes, fever, and fatigue. Untreated, this mold can cause death.
Interestingly, in 1973, the tomb of King Casimir IV of Poland was discovered by archaeologists. Of the twelve scientists that entered the tomb, four died within a few days and six more died within six months. It is speculated that the deaths were caused by exposure to toxins from Aspergillus.

The Mummy’s Curse and Mold_2

Today, and based on the lessons from history, archaeologists wear masks, gloves, and respirators to protect themselves from similar “curses” when handling ancient burial ruins.
The lesson to be learned is two-fold.
First and foremost, mold spores, dead or alive, can cause health issues.
Second, if you find mold in your home, it is recommended that you do not disturb the mold until you know exactly what type of mold it is–you do not want to inadvertently release mold spores in the air.
If you suspect any mold issues, please call for a professional assessment.