Is Your Pet Food Safe?

Is Your Pet Food Safe?
There are three distinct types of molds: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxigenic. Toxigenic molds pose the most serious health risk to both humans and animals because they have aflatoxins.
Recently, there were news reports of pet food recalls. The food was recalled because it was contaminated with aflatoxins.
Aflatoxins are naturally occurring mycotoxins produced by the mold Aspergillus. Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus are two of the most toxic and most carcinogenic molds leading to many health risks, including several types of cancer.
According to Veterinary Practice News “aflatoxins are produced on peanuts, soybeans, corn and other cereals in the field or during storage when moisture content and temperatures are sufficiently high for mold growth. High doses of aflatoxins result in severe hepatocellular necrosis, and prolonged low dosages result in reduced growth rate and liver enlargement. Pets that have consumed the affected product and are exhibiting symptoms of illness including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, vomiting, yellowish tint to the eyes or gums, or diarrhea should be seen by a veterinarian.”
T-2 mycotoxin derived from molds such as Aspergillus, are used for biological warfare. In fact, Aspergillus mold is so toxic and resilient that this was the cause of the death of the archaeologists that discovered King Tutankhamen’s tomb which lay undisturbed for 3,000 years.
As demonstrated from this article, mold is a growing concern. If you are concerned about your pet food, and want to know if it is subject to a recall, click here. If you suspect that you have mold and need some help determining what type of mold it is, give us a call, we are here to help!

Adverse Health Affects from Mold

Adverse Health Affects from Mold
The medical establishment has found it difficult to diagnose sickness caused by mold because each person reacts differently. Many of the initial symptoms are similar to what we experience when we get a cold or flu:
-headaches
-coughing
-wheezing
-sinus problems and post-nasal drip
-itchy rashes
-joint pain
Untreated, exposure to indoor molds can have long term health consequences. According to mycotoxin expert Dr. Harriet Ammann, exposure to indoor molds can damage the systems of your body in the following ways:
  • Vascular: blood vessel fragility, hemorrhage from tissues or lungs
  • Digestive: diarrhea, vomiting, hemorrhage, liver damage, fibrosis and necrosis
  • Respiratory: trouble breathing, bleeding from lungs
  • Neurological: tremors, loss of coordination, headaches, depression, multiple sclerosis
  • Skin: rashes, burning, sloughing, photosensitivity
  • Urinary: kidney toxicity
  • Reproductive: infertility, changes in reproductive cycles
  • Immune: Immunosuppression
  • If you or someone you love seems to get sick all the time and the doctors just can’t seem to figure out the problems, check out this article and interview with Dr. Doris Rapp, a mold expert and author of several books, including Our Toxic World: A Wake Up Call.